    but the quality of these would be remarkably less than what these have.

    Thanks,
    Scott_67

    Scott_67, Aug 8, 2004

  2. Scott_67

    NeoRenegade Guest

    Scott_67 wrote:

    > I have a friend who is originally from Cambodia. He recently went back
    > there for a visit and when he returned he showed me some DVD movies he had
    > bought for $3 each. These included movies that are still in theaters here
    > in the US such as Spiderman 2, The Day After Tomorrow, etc. These have not
    > yet even been released on DVD yet but the cases and actual DVDs look like
    > those that one would buy here in the USA. How is this possible? The only
    > way I can think of is that someone recorded it with a camcorder at a theater
    > but the quality of these would be remarkably less than what these have.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott_67

    They could have been recorded from the projector or from some other
    hardware playing stolen film reels. And as far as the case goes... in
    some countries, particularly in China and Russia, piracy is a very
    professionally operated business.

    - NR

    NeoRenegade, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Scott_67

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Scott_67 wrote:

    > I have a friend who is originally from Cambodia. He recently went back
    > there for a visit and when he returned he showed me some DVD movies he had
    > bought for $3 each. These included movies that are still in theaters here
    > in the US such as Spiderman 2, The Day After Tomorrow, etc. These have not
    > yet even been released on DVD yet but the cases and actual DVDs look like
    > those that one would buy here in the USA. How is this possible? The only
    > way I can think of is that someone recorded it with a camcorder at a theater
    > but the quality of these would be remarkably less than what these have.

    A friend came back from Vietnam last week with about 100 DVDs he bought
    at around US60c each. The ones we have previewed so far have been
    generally excellent quality, with artwork and covers of a high standard.
    They are all single layer pressed discs with full menus, subtitles
    and good sound quality.

    The exceptions he has discovered so far were several of the newest
    releases - Troy and the Day After Tomorrow, which were obviously handy
    cam jobs with people walking in front of the camera, bad sound quality,
    and mobile phones ringing in the background. Others, such as Shrek 2,
    Harry Potter 3, and other relatively new releases were all
    indistinguishable from the "legal" copies, at least on our equipment.

    Interestingly, they all came without keep cases - just the printed full
    size covers sealed in plastic envelopes. (Great to fit more in a
    suitcase.)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus