dvd menu issue

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TH, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. TH

    TH Guest

    We were watching a DVD last night, or attempting to. First a
    commercial for the production company of the movie came up, which we
    couldn't stop by hitting menu or fast forward. So we let it finish.
    Then previews started. Again, nothing would stop it except the eject
    button, literally. We finally gave up, not wanting to watch a bunch of
    pointless previews, we just got rid of the disk. I tried every button
    combination to get out of these stupid features and for the life of me
    can't figure out why they would set up a DVD so you have to watch this
    crap. Was there somethign I missed that I could have done to have
    gotten out of the preview junk. I have never seen this before with a
    DVD and it was very frustrating.
     
    TH, Jan 15, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. TH <> wrote:

    > We were watching a DVD last night, or attempting to. First a
    > commercial for the production company of the movie came up, which we
    > couldn't stop by hitting menu or fast forward. So we let it finish.
    > Then previews started. Again, nothing would stop it except the eject
    > button, literally. We finally gave up, not wanting to watch a bunch of
    > pointless previews, we just got rid of the disk. I tried every button
    > combination to get out of these stupid features and for the life of me
    > can't figure out why they would set up a DVD so you have to watch this
    > crap. Was there somethign I missed that I could have done to have
    > gotten out of the preview junk. I have never seen this before with a
    > DVD and it was very frustrating.


    What was the DVD? A "Santos" movie does that, I think the first one,
    it takes like five minutes to come to a usable menu, to turn on
    the english subtitles, before that is a solid block of previews
    in a language I don't know with ALL buttons USER-PROHIBITED, except
    eject.
     
    Walter Traprock, Jan 15, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. TH

    TH Guest

    On Jan 15, 12:10 pm, Walter Traprock <> wrote:

    >
    > What was the DVD?   A "Santos" movie does that, I think the first one,
    > it takes like five minutes to come to a usable menu, to turn on
    > the english subtitles, before that is a solid block of previews
    > in a language I don't know with ALL buttons USER-PROHIBITED, except
    > eject.


    it was "21 Grams"

    whatever you do, do not rent or buy that pile of crap. If I had owned
    the thing, it would have been in the dumpster.

    that's one of my pet peeves; these DVDs that take three minutes for
    the menu to load because it's got all these fancy graphics and stuff.
    People don't want to sit through that. They want to put the DVD in and
    hit play. Of course, having long previews and commercials that you
    can't stop is worse.
     
    TH, Jan 15, 2008
    #3
  4. TH

    Paul MR Guest

    TH wrote:
    > We were watching a DVD last night, or attempting to. First a
    > commercial for the production company of the movie came up, which we
    > couldn't stop by hitting menu or fast forward. So we let it finish.
    > Then previews started. Again, nothing would stop it except the eject
    > button, literally. We finally gave up, not wanting to watch a bunch of
    > pointless previews, we just got rid of the disk. I tried every button
    > combination to get out of these stupid features and for the life of me
    > can't figure out why they would set up a DVD so you have to watch this
    > crap. Was there somethign I missed that I could have done to have
    > gotten out of the preview junk. I have never seen this before with a
    > DVD and it was very frustrating.


    You're right to be po'd. But have you been in a movie theater lately?
    Some of them are MUCH worse. My most recent experience (AMC) included
    35 minutes of ads, previews, and warnings ("please pick up your own
    trash"). It will be many years before I go back there.

    On DVD rentals, I've learned to start playing the disk and then go have
    dinner. By the time I'm finished eating, the main menu has come up.
    Paul
     
    Paul MR, Jan 15, 2008
    #4
  5. TH

    PapaBear Guest

    Rip the main movie to your hard drive with something like DVDFab HD
    Decryptor. Then you can watch it on your computer or burn a DVD for your
    standalone player. Of course you must then destroy your computer and DVD
    copies to avoid possible future repercussions. :eek:)

    "TH" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    On Jan 15, 12:10 pm, Walter Traprock <> wrote:

    >
    > What was the DVD? A "Santos" movie does that, I think the first one,
    > it takes like five minutes to come to a usable menu, to turn on
    > the english subtitles, before that is a solid block of previews
    > in a language I don't know with ALL buttons USER-PROHIBITED, except
    > eject.


    it was "21 Grams"

    whatever you do, do not rent or buy that pile of crap. If I had owned
    the thing, it would have been in the dumpster.

    that's one of my pet peeves; these DVDs that take three minutes for
    the menu to load because it's got all these fancy graphics and stuff.
    People don't want to sit through that. They want to put the DVD in and
    hit play. Of course, having long previews and commercials that you
    can't stop is worse.
     
    PapaBear, Jan 16, 2008
    #5
  6. TH

    PapaBear Guest

    "Paul MR" <> wrote in message
    news:2Ibjj.40$...
    > TH wrote:
    >> We were watching a DVD last night, or attempting to. First a
    >> commercial for the production company of the movie came up, which we
    >> couldn't stop by hitting menu or fast forward. So we let it finish.
    >> Then previews started. Again, nothing would stop it except the eject
    >> button, literally. We finally gave up, not wanting to watch a bunch of
    >> pointless previews, we just got rid of the disk. I tried every button
    >> combination to get out of these stupid features and for the life of me
    >> can't figure out why they would set up a DVD so you have to watch this
    >> crap. Was there somethign I missed that I could have done to have
    >> gotten out of the preview junk. I have never seen this before with a
    >> DVD and it was very frustrating.

    >
    > You're right to be po'd. But have you been in a movie theater lately?
    > Some of them are MUCH worse. My most recent experience (AMC) included 35
    > minutes of ads, previews, and warnings ("please pick up your own trash").
    > It will be many years before I go back there.
    >
    > On DVD rentals, I've learned to start playing the disk and then go have
    > dinner. By the time I'm finished eating, the main menu has come up.
    > Paul


    I've never had that experience. Maybe I'm just lucky, but have always found
    some way to bypass previews with the remote control. Either the Menu or
    Title buttons works, or the >> chapter/title skip forward/advance button(s)
    may do it. Sometimes STOP then continue/restart works, or maybe makes the
    other buttons active. If not, then I agree the disc is only good as a
    frisbee or coaster, not to be watched.
     
    PapaBear, Jan 16, 2008
    #6
  7. TH

    TH Guest

    On Jan 15, 4:36 pm, "PapaBear" <2x> wrote:

    >
    > I've never had that experience. Maybe I'm just lucky, but have always found
    > some way to bypass previews with the remote control. Either the Menu or
    > Title buttons works, or the >> chapter/title skip forward/advance button(s)
    > may do it. Sometimes STOP then continue/restart works, or maybe makes the
    > other buttons active. If not, then I agree the disc is only good as a
    > frisbee or coaster, not to be watched.- Hide quoted text -
    >



    Yes, that usually works with DVDs. Just not this one.
     
    TH, Jan 16, 2008
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dennis

    Start Menu --> Programs Menu help

    Dennis, Nov 2, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    551
    Dennis
    Nov 2, 2004
  2. vik
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    705
  3. LuvLatins

    Strange Menu Button Issue on New D300

    LuvLatins, Dec 24, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    329
    LuvLatins
    Dec 24, 2007
  4. mdegroff
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    713
    mdegroff
    Jul 9, 2008
  5. Bucky Breeder

    Re: Start Menu issue

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 18, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    682
    Bucky Breeder
    Nov 19, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page