    I'm a DVD newbie)

    :)

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, May 21, 2004

  2. I purchase my DVD+RW/DVD+R's from Ebay USA. Last time, I purchased 50
    DVD+R's for a total of NZ$120 including all shipping costs.

    I've been using Memorex which have been of exceptionally high quality for my
    recorder (NEC). There is a website somewhere that lists the various brands
    and qualities.

    You should have some DVD+RW's for test burns, but I tend to burn home movie
    type stuff to DVD+R's as they are more compatible overall.

    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in message
    > Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
    > Dunedin?
    > What brand and format should I be using for storing data and creating
    > movies?
    > (just bought an MSI DR8-a from Mosgeil Computers for $230 (nice price!!)

    so

    Jed Meisterdude, May 22, 2004

  3. Russell Smithies

    mario Guest

    I have the same drive (paid $15 more thou). It didn't like my GA-7N400
    Pro v2 for some reason so moved it to my Shutle AV40R. Works well now.

    If you don't mind buying over the net then http://blankcd.co.nz/ are
    pretty good.
    I've brought both Laser and Princo off them. I'm local so delivery is free.

    They have Princo 700mb 50pk CDR on sale atm for $25. I'm tempted to buy
    some (for a rainy day).

    mario

    mario, May 22, 2004
  4. Russell Smithies

    C_Lyon Guest

    > Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
    > Dunedin?
    > What brand and format should I be using for storing data and creating
    > movies?
    > (just bought an MSI DR8-a from Mosgeil Computers for $230 (nice price!!)

    so
    > I'm a DVD newbie)
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Russell

    Princo DVD-R 4X is my fav.
    The price on them here in oz is about $40 a spindle of 50.

    C_Lyon, May 22, 2004
  5. Jed Meisterdude startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following
    words of wisdom

    > You should have some DVD+RW's for test burns, but I tend to burn home
    > movie type stuff to DVD+R's as they are more compatible overall.

    Really? I've found the opposite. We had to hunt up some '-Rs because a
    number of us had DVD players or PCs that wouldn't read '+Rs.

    --
    rob singers
    pull finger to reply

    Robert Singers, May 22, 2004
  6. On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:33:05 +1200, "Russell Smithies"
    <> wrote:

    >Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
    >Dunedin?
    >What brand and format should I be using for storing data and creating
    >movies?
    >(just bought an MSI DR8-a from Mosgeil Computers for $230 (nice price!!) so
    >I'm a DVD newbie)
    >
    >:)
    >
    >Russell

    You need to buy online to get a cheap price. I have been using Laser
    DVD-R 4x from:

    http://www.ascent.co.nz

    They are NZ$49.79 for a 25 pack and shipping is free. No jewel cases
    for that sort of price though, but you can get cheap Transonic 10
    packs of clear cases from The Warehouse (around $3.00, IIRC), or
    coulour TDK ones for $4.99. Ascent are a good company - I have been
    buying from them for years. The Laser disks burn fine at 4x in my
    Pioneer 107D.

    I have not tried them yet, but

    http://www.picosys.co.nz

    have even cheaper OnidTech DVD-R 4x for NZ$1.80 each.

    Stephen Worthington, May 22, 2004
  7. Russell Smithies

    JedMeister Guest

    Sorry, I meant between DVD+RW and DVD+R, I have no experience of the
    DVD-R's.

    I've never had any problem playing my DVD+R's on other DVD players - Even
    the PS2 plays them. Guess I've just been lucky given your problems.

    JedMeister, May 23, 2004
  8. In article <CAurc.8155$>,
    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote:

    >Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
    >Dunedin?

    I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    not go in to have a look.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, May 24, 2004
  9. "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > In article <CAurc.8155$>,
    > "Russell Smithies" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
    >>Dunedin?

    > I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    > $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    > according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    > not go in to have a look.

    Ended up buying a few Imation DVD+R and DVD+RW from DSE ( $5 and $8 each)
    Harvey Normans had no re-writable DVD's in stock of any brand or format!!

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, May 24, 2004
  10. On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:32:44 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <CAurc.8155$>,
    > "Russell Smithies" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
    >>Dunedin?

    >I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    >$39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    >according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    >not go in to have a look.

    But Who makes them...??

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 24, 2004
  11. On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:41:08 +1200, "Russell Smithies"
    <> wrote:

    >"Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >> In article <CAurc.8155$>,
    >> "Russell Smithies" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
    >>>Dunedin?

    >> I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    >> $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    >> according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    >> not go in to have a look.

    >Ended up buying a few Imation DVD+R and DVD+RW from DSE ( $5 and $8 each)
    >Harvey Normans had no re-writable DVD's in stock of any brand or format!!
    >
    >Russell

    Check the ATIP, Imation do Not MAKE CD's

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 24, 2004
  12. Russell Smithies

    MarkH Guest

    > I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    > $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    > according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    > not go in to have a look.

    Bloody hell, that’s about $4 per disk! I can get a 25 pack of Princo or
    Laser DVD-R disks for under $40 or a 50 pack for under $70.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, May 24, 2004
  13. On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:27:12 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    >
    >> I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    >> $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    >> according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    >> not go in to have a look.

    >Bloody hell, that’s about $4 per disk! I can get a 25 pack of Princo or
    >Laser DVD-R disks for under $40 or a 50 pack for under $70.

    Seems from what I have read that the Princo are good cheap disks..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 24, 2004
  14. Russell Smithies

    cowboyz Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    >
    >> I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    >> $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    >> according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    >> not go in to have a look.

    > Bloody hell, that's about $4 per disk! I can get a 25 pack of Princo
    > or Laser DVD-R disks for under $40 or a 50 pack for under $70.

    where abouts? can you get +R for around that price too? I'll be in.

    cowboyz, May 24, 2004
  15. Russell Smithies

    MarkH Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:c8tg65$bn9$:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >> Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    >>> $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    >>> according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    >>> not go in to have a look.

    >> Bloody hell, that's about $4 per disk! I can get a 25 pack of Princo
    >> or Laser DVD-R disks for under $40 or a 50 pack for under $70.

    > where abouts? can you get +R for around that price too? I'll be in.

    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/

    Unfortunately their website doesn’t list all the DVD Media that they have
    in store. But it is no problem for me because I live close to their
    Penrose store.

    DVD+R is about $50 for a spindle of 25.

    MarkH, May 24, 2004
  16. Russell Smithies

    bambam Guest

    http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?101305

    --
    99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

    bambam, May 25, 2004
  17. In article <c8sm6f$rab$>, MarkH <>
    wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    >
    >> I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    >> $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    >> according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    >> not go in to have a look.

    >Bloody hell, that’s about $4 per disk! I can get a 25 pack of Princo or
    >Laser DVD-R disks for under $40 or a 50 pack for under $70.

    But how much is your data worth. A couple of dollars extra per disc is
    peanuts to pay for peace of mind.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, May 25, 2004
  18. Russell Smithies

    A Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:50:43 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >MarkH wrote:
    >> Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    >>> $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    >>> according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    >>> not go in to have a look.

    >> Bloody hell, that's about $4 per disk! I can get a 25 pack of Princo
    >> or Laser DVD-R disks for under $40 or a 50 pack for under $70.

    >where abouts? can you get +R for around that price too? I'll be in.

    I got 25 Laser DVD+R from pb tech in Hamilton for $40

    A, May 25, 2004
  19. Russell Smithies

    cowboyz Guest

    A wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:50:43 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    >> MarkH wrote:
    >>> Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in

    >>> Bloody hell, that's about $4 per disk! I can get a 25 pack of
    >>> Princo or Laser DVD-R disks for under $40 or a 50 pack for under
    >>> $70.

    >> where abouts? can you get +R for around that price too? I'll be in.

    > I got 25 Laser DVD+R from pb tech in Hamilton for $40

    thats all good. I don't go through so many DVDR discs. I paid $29 for 10
    at a small shop on the edge of Hamilton but that was a couple of months ago
    and I still have 6 left.

    cowboyz, May 25, 2004
  20. Russell Smithies

    MarkH Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in news:ldo-
    :

    > In article <c8sm6f$rab$>, MarkH <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
    >>> $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
    >>> according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
    >>> not go in to have a look.

    >>Bloody hell, that’s about $4 per disk! I can get a 25 pack of Princo or
    >>Laser DVD-R disks for under $40 or a 50 pack for under $70.

    > But how much is your data worth. A couple of dollars extra per disc is
    > peanuts to pay for peace of mind.

    How does that give me piece of mind? If you have any reason for believing
    that the data is safer on a TDK DVD-R than a Princo DVD-R then please share
    it!

    I have burnt over a hundred Princo DVD-R disks, no problems. If I had
    bought TDK disks instead then I would be well over $200 poorer, I wouldn't
    spend that much without some sort of reason to do so.

    MarkH, May 25, 2004