    Thanks,
    Harry
    , Jan 6, 2005

  2. Dragon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I've heard it's unsafe to affix a sticker label (such
    > as the Memorex CD/DVD labels that you'll typically find
    > at KMart) to a DVD. The argument goes that the DVD grooves
    > are finer than a CD, and that heat generated while playing
    > can cause enough warping of the label to corrupt the DVD
    > data.
    >
    > I'd like to hear opinions out there on this matter. Have
    > any of you affixed labels naively (like I did) on your
    > initially blank DVDs and had them survive alright for a
    > good period of time, a couple of years, say? Is a DVD
    > label certain to corrupt the DVD eventually, or is this
    > just speculation at this point?
    >
    > Also, some blank DVD media come with a matte already. Would
    > it be safe to affix a DVD label over this matte? Or at
    > least "safer?"
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Harry

    Hi harry i have had both xbox and dvd films with labels and found they
    wouldnt play at all, i have now got printables and theyt look better and
    play perfect, no noise as they spin, if i was you go for the epson r200
    and buy printable disk, i done it and now i dont look back

    dave
    Dragon, Jan 6, 2005

  3. mercutio Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:29:07 +0000, Dragon wrote:>

    > Hi harry i have had both xbox and dvd films with labels and found they
    > wouldnt play at all, i have now got printables and theyt look better and
    > play perfect, no noise as they spin, if i was you go for the epson r200
    > and buy printable disk, i done it and now i dont look back
    >
    > dave

    I have an Epson R200 and love it for both DVDs and CDs. Gives a super,
    professional looking result.

    Only drawbacks I've found:
    1. Wish printing was a bit faster.
    2. Wish the ink dried "hard" faster.
    3. Printable disks (especially CD) are hard to find locally.
    4. Wish the ink were waterproof when dry.

    mercutio, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Guest

    Dragon wrote:
    > Hi harry i have had both xbox and dvd films with labels and found

    they
    > wouldnt play at all, i have now got printables and theyt look better

    and
    > play perfect, no noise as they spin, if i was you go for the epson

    r200
    > and buy printable disk, i done it and now i dont look back
    >
    > dave

    Thanks Dave. I may well try your suggestion of getting the epson r200.
    However, could you recommend me good, reliable printable DVD media
    that are reasonably priced?

    Also, I did a bit of reasearch on this issue and have found a wide
    variety of accounts about the effect of applying DVD labels.
    Predictably,
    some people cite no problems, and some actually claim that they can
    burn a DVD and play it fine before applying a label, and then after
    affixing a label the DVD begins skipping immediately! I find this
    hard to believe, unless the people who cite this calamity have DVD
    players that run super hot.

    Me, I have had NO problems with any of my labeled (using the
    Memorex KMart kit) DVDs..but this is only after a month's time.
    It might be because I am using blank media from a reputable company
    (Philips 4x DVD+R), and perhaps they have an extra layer of protection
    or
    something. The consensus seems to be that, over time and applied
    heat, the label glue can seep through and corrupt the DVD.
    Technical assistance from Memorex told me this when I asked. However,
    I'm still skeptical. My intuition is that this is all a function
    of the particular DVD media, the particular labels, and the DVD
    player being used. I'd wager that with the right combination the
    labels would cause no problem at all.

    Also, the company Fellowes purports to have created labels that
    they've tested for this very problem, and they cause no data loss.
    I guess that these labels would be the way to go for those inclined
    since they address the issue explicitly, unlike the slipshod Memorex,
    who loudly label their labeling kits as appropriate for CD/DVD media.
    In the fine print they mention that their labels are NOT safe for
    DVDs, unless you label the small center area only. What a joke.
    It's a cheap, lowdown dirty company that buries something like that
    in the fine print.

    A good thread on videohelp.com is available at
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138166&highlight=labels

    It'd be great if others here shared their experiences. I like to
    label my DVDs with some description of the data I'm backing up.
    I'm just that kinda guy. It seems absurd that such a fancy digital
    medium would be unlabelable without a printer!

    Harry
    , Jan 6, 2005
  5. Pug Fugley Guest

    Labels are a big NO NO! They cause the disc to become unbalanced and wobble
    in the player which is why most players won't even play them.

    Pug Fugley, Jan 7, 2005
  6. EnJay Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I've heard it's unsafe to affix a sticker label (such
    > as the Memorex CD/DVD labels that you'll typically find
    > at KMart) to a DVD. The argument goes that the DVD grooves
    > are finer than a CD, and that heat generated while playing
    > can cause enough warping of the label to corrupt the DVD
    > data.
    >
    > I'd like to hear opinions out there on this matter. Have
    > any of you affixed labels naively (like I did) on your
    > initially blank DVDs and had them survive alright for a
    > good period of time, a couple of years, say? Is a DVD
    > label certain to corrupt the DVD eventually, or is this
    > just speculation at this point?
    >
    > Also, some blank DVD media come with a matte already. Would
    > it be safe to affix a DVD label over this matte? Or at
    > least "safer?"
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Harry

    Hi Harry

    I have used labels (Glossy and Matt) for years on both DVD and CD with no
    problem. The one thing I have experienced though with CD's and they may get
    stuck in the car players. Resolved only by turning up the heat and drive
    around and when the car is hot they come out just. As far as DVD, I have has
    no problem with them. However, I have been looking at a disc printer and
    printable discs. I think this is a better and cheaper option than labels.

    Nig
    EnJay, Jan 7, 2005
  7. EnJay Guest

    I have looked up the Epson R200 and can't find one that prints discs only
    paper. Can you post a link/site to check it out please.

    Many thanks
    Nig

    "mercutio" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:29:07 +0000, Dragon wrote:>
    > >
    > > Hi harry i have had both xbox and dvd films with labels and found they
    > > wouldnt play at all, i have now got printables and theyt look better and
    > > play perfect, no noise as they spin, if i was you go for the epson

    r200
    > > and buy printable disk, i done it and now i dont look back
    > >
    > > dave

    > I have an Epson R200 and love it for both DVDs and CDs. Gives a super,
    > professional looking result.
    >
    > Only drawbacks I've found:
    > 1. Wish printing was a bit faster.
    > 2. Wish the ink dried "hard" faster.
    > 3. Printable disks (especially CD) are hard to find locally.
    > 4. Wish the ink were waterproof when dry.

    News==----

    Newsgroups
    EnJay, Jan 8, 2005
  8. Larry Guest

    In article <croch9$5re$>, says...
    > I have looked up the Epson R200 and can't find one that prints discs only
    > paper. Can you post a link/site to check it out please.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Nig
    >
    > "mercutio" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:29:07 +0000, Dragon wrote:>
    > > >
    > > > Hi harry i have had both xbox and dvd films with labels and found they
    > > > wouldnt play at all, i have now got printables and theyt look better and
    > > > play perfect, no noise as they spin, if i was you go for the epson

    > r200
    > > > and buy printable disk, i done it and now i dont look back
    > > >
    > > > dave

    > > I have an Epson R200 and love it for both DVDs and CDs. Gives a super,
    > > professional looking result.
    > >
    > > Only drawbacks I've found:
    > > 1. Wish printing was a bit faster.
    > > 2. Wish the ink dried "hard" faster.
    > > 3. Printable disks (especially CD) are hard to find locally.
    > > 4. Wish the ink were waterproof when dry.

    > News==----
    > > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000

    > Newsgroups
    > > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    Epson R200 (as sold in the USA at Staples, OfficeMax ect) comes equiped to
    print on printable cds and DvD disks.

    I have not seen it advertized as such, but I bought one for proof printing
    and it came with a disk holder and a blank disk.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Jan 8, 2005
  9. On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:49:10 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:

    >Labels are a big NO NO! They cause the disc to become unbalanced and wobble
    >in the player which is why most players won't even play them.

    My experience supports this. The first movie I burned played
    perfectly. I put a label on and it skipped. I spent about an hour
    carefully peeling the label off and it played perfectly again. I have
    not used labels on DVDs since. (close to two years and hundreds of
    DVDs)

    I used the "CD Stomper" aplicator

    You want a label on you DVD, use a sharpie.
    Another nobody, Jan 8, 2005
  10. Pug Fugley Guest

    "EnJay" <> wrote in message
    > I have looked up the Epson R200 and can't find one that prints discs only
    > paper. Can you post a link/site to check it out please.

    ANY Epson R200 prints on discs..that's what it's made for.
    Pug Fugley, Jan 8, 2005
  11. EnJay Guest

    "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message

    > "EnJay" <> wrote in message
    > > I have looked up the Epson R200 and can't find one that prints discs

    only
    > > paper. Can you post a link/site to check it out please.

    > ANY Epson R200 prints on discs..that's what it's made for.

    Can you tell me, are there any other disc only printers. I have searched
    through Amazon, Curry's, PC World etc etc and cannot see any.

    Cheers
    EnJay, Jan 9, 2005
  12. Pug Fugley Guest

    "EnJay" <> wrote in message

    > "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "EnJay" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have looked up the Epson R200 and can't find one that prints discs

    > only
    > > > paper. Can you post a link/site to check it out please.

    > > ANY Epson R200 prints on discs..that's what it's made for.
    > >

    > Can you tell me, are there any other disc only printers. I have searched
    > through Amazon, Curry's, PC World etc etc and cannot see any.

    Epson R300, and I have an Epson Stylus Photo 900 CD/DVD printer.
    Pug Fugley, Jan 9, 2005
  13. mercutio Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:27:23 +0000, EnJay wrote:

    > I have looked up the Epson R200 and can't find one that prints discs only
    > paper. Can you post a link/site to check it out please.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Nig

    Not sure exactly what you are asking. If you are looking for a source of
    blank, ink-jet printable CDRs and DVDs, I purchase my supplies from:
    http://www.cddimensions.com. Found them quite reliable for my needs.

    mercutio, Jan 9, 2005
  14. mercutio Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 08:44:23 +0000, EnJay wrote:

    > "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "EnJay" <> wrote in message
    >> > I have looked up the Epson R200 and can't find one that prints discs

    > only
    >> > paper. Can you post a link/site to check it out please.

    >> ANY Epson R200 prints on discs..that's what it's made for.
    >>

    > Can you tell me, are there any other disc only printers. I have searched
    > through Amazon, Curry's, PC World etc etc and cannot see any.
    >
    > Cheers

    When I bought mine a few months ago, Epson was the only one at the low end
    of the price range. HP and the others had nothing in this type of printer.
    The next cheapest other brand I found was a thermal ink printer that
    started around $1,200. Obviously meant for a higher volume of production
    work.

    mercutio, Jan 9, 2005
  15. bluscarab

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    testing has been confirmed

    Since I last saw this thread 4 years ago, I have applied various brands of labels to various brands of DVD's and have concluded that labels DO INDEED damage the information on the DVD in some fashion. Approximately 60% of my movie DVDs (over 700) with labels on them are partially corrupt. None of my non-labeled DVDs are corrupt. 100% of those still work fine.

    Of the 60% that are damaged, most are dual layer DVDs. The rest are DVD-/+R. Attempting to "re-rip" them using DVDShrink, Nero or DVDFab on a computer produced errors where there were none before so its impossible to recover the data. These errors occur in the same place which is proof positive that the labels on the DVDs have corrupted the actual stream of pits and grooves on the disc itself rather than merely causing an unbalance in the DVD player.

    On an interesting aside, the data corruption appears to begin gradually after some time has elapsed. I'd say about 3 - 6 months. Another interesting aside is that some DVD players did better than others during the initial period of corruption - able to play "past" or "skip over" the bad spots. Unfortunately, this was short-lived as the erosion of data spread thus preventing any player I could find from successfully playing the discs.

    Sometimes, the corruption appeared to occur immediately after the label was applied to a perfectly fine disc. This suggests that the corruption may be caused by a shrink/swell factor of the label after it has been applied to a disc. Or perhaps the corruption is caused by both shrink warping and chemical reaction of the adhesive on the plastic.

    I have also used the Epson R200 that was mentioned and, while it produced stunning results, most of the prints are now smudged or unreadable from kids touching them with sweaty hands or from moms (and dads) who needed to wash the disc with soap and water. Even after years have passed, the ink did not become 100% waterproof. There is a new technology in printable discs called a WaterShield Surface which would make your prints on the disc waterproof from any inkjet printer but after spending thousands of hours printing DVD labels over these last 4 years, I have finally regressed to the simple and ever-efficient sharpie. :sleep:
    bluscarab, Oct 9, 2009