    Thanks,
    Cath [Texas]
    , Oct 3, 2003

  2. BTMO Guest

    <> wrote in

    > Um, forgive me but, would the dvd drive in my computer be the US
    > region? So any DVD's from NZ could not be played in it?

    Yes, and yes (probably)

    Your DVD can be switched between zones, but only a specific number of times.
    You may need to check with a local expert.

    Cheers,

    Brenton
    BTMO, Oct 3, 2003

  3. steve Guest

    allegedly said:

    > Um, forgive me but, would the dvd drive in my computer be the US
    > region? So any DVD's from NZ could not be played in it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Cath [Texas]

    How old is it?

    My DVD drives know nothing of regions. The software takes care of that.

    If you can get a PC DVD drive a couple of years old, they work great....and
    the drives themselves know nothing about regions.

    On Linux, 'Xine' ignores regions.
    steve, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Big Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:34:30 +1200, steve <> wrote:

    > allegedly said:
    >
    >> Um, forgive me but, would the dvd drive in my computer be the US
    >> region? So any DVD's from NZ could not be played in it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Cath [Texas]

    >How old is it?
    >
    >My DVD drives know nothing of regions. The software takes care of that.
    >
    >If you can get a PC DVD drive a couple of years old, they work great....and
    >the drives themselves know nothing about regions.
    >
    >On Linux, 'Xine' ignores regions.

    Most DVD drives have region locks, but a lot can have the firmware fixed by
    flashing it with new firmware..

    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
    Big , Oct 3, 2003
  5. steve Guest

    Big allegedly said:

    > Most DVD drives have region locks, but a lot can have the firmware fixed
    > by flashing it with new firmware..
    >
    > http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

    I can play anything on my DVD drives (I have 3).....but then I only play the
    DVDs on Linux......
    steve, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Big Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:13:51 +1200, steve <> wrote:

    >Big allegedly said:
    >
    >> Most DVD drives have region locks, but a lot can have the firmware fixed
    >> by flashing it with new firmware..
    >>
    >> http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

    >I can play anything on my DVD drives (I have 3).....but then I only play the
    >DVDs on Linux......

    Yes and I just can't see the point in your post, as most people do not use
    Lunix, plus you are running pirated stuff to make Lunix work..

    Lunix in itself does not support DVD's..
    Big , Oct 3, 2003
  7. Peter Guest

    this quote is from Big of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33 :
    > Yes and I just can't see the point in your post, as most people do not
    > use Lunix, plus you are running pirated stuff to make Lunix work..

    How do you know?
    I run Linux here, and it plays DVDs fine (and no pirated software, just GPL
    and the like).

    Peter
    Peter, Oct 3, 2003
  8. Big Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:04:44 +1200, Peter <> wrote:

    >this quote is from Big of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33 :
    >> Yes and I just can't see the point in your post, as most people do not
    >> use Lunix, plus you are running pirated stuff to make Lunix work..

    >How do you know?
    >I run Linux here, and it plays DVDs fine (and no pirated software, just GPL
    >and the like).
    >

    >Peter

    The Software for Playing DVD's with Lunix is illegal, I thought that every one
    new that, DVD's do not have any Legal Lunix support at all..
    Big , Oct 3, 2003
  9. In article <GT7fb.5924$>,
    says...
    > allegedly said:
    >
    > > Um, forgive me but, would the dvd drive in my computer be the US
    > > region? So any DVD's from NZ could not be played in it?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Cath [Texas]

    > How old is it?
    >
    > My DVD drives know nothing of regions. The software takes care of that.
    >
    > If you can get a PC DVD drive a couple of years old, they work great....and
    > the drives themselves know nothing about regions.

    Sadly, this is not always true. My Pioneer DVD drive is more than 2
    years old and it sure does know about regions <sigh>.

    I understand there is now an Asus drive that can be reset from the front
    panel without any limits and problems - there was a post to that end on
    this very forum a little while ago.

    You can flash the drive's built-in software to make it region free
    but this is a slightly risky business. If it fails, you can chuck the
    drive in many cases. I won't do it unless really necessary.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 3, 2003
  10. mattlock Guest

    Big wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:04:44 +1200, Peter <> wrote:
    >

    >>this quote is from Big of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33 :
    >>
    >>>Yes and I just can't see the point in your post, as most people do not
    >>>use Lunix, plus you are running pirated stuff to make Lunix work..

    >>How do you know?
    >>I run Linux here, and it plays DVDs fine (and no pirated software, just GPL
    >>and the like).
    >>

    >>Peter

    > The Software for Playing DVD's with Lunix is illegal, I thought that every one
    > new that, DVD's do not have any Legal Lunix support at all..

    Wrong, it's not free....but it’s legal
    http://www.lindows.com/lindows_products_details.php?id=11804
    mattlock, Oct 3, 2003
  11. Peter Guest

    this quote is from Big of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:24 :
    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:04:44 +1200, Peter <> wrote:
    >>this quote is from Big of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33 :
    >>> Yes and I just can't see the point in your post, as most people do not
    >>> use Lunix, plus you are running pirated stuff to make Lunix work..

    >>How do you know?
    >>I run Linux here, and it plays DVDs fine (and no pirated software, just
    >>GPL and the like).

    > The Software for Playing DVD's with Lunix is illegal, I thought that every
    > one new that, DVD's do not have any Legal Lunix support at all..

    ok, so now you accept it is not pirated software.
    Why do you think it is illegal?
    The MED is currently reviewing the 1994 copyright law on this, and their
    published position is that the law should not stop people playing
    legitimately purchased VD movies or games. (see the position paper from
    December 2002).
    So, why is it illegal to play a DVD on my computer?

    BTW I checked this when I bought the DVD. I told the shop assistant that I
    intended to play the DVD on my computer, and asked if that was ok. They
    said it was fine. IANAL but my intention is that this is a condition of
    purchase. After all, if I can't watch the DVD, why would I even buy it?

    Peter
    Peter, Oct 3, 2003
  12. Big Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 22:08:49 +1200, Peter <> wrote:

    >this quote is from Big of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:24 :
    >> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:04:44 +1200, Peter <> wrote:
    >>>this quote is from Big of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33 :
    >>>How do you know?
    >>>I run Linux here, and it plays DVDs fine (and no pirated software, just
    >>>GPL and the like).

    >> The Software for Playing DVD's with Lunix is illegal, I thought that every
    >> one new that, DVD's do not have any Legal Lunix support at all..

    >ok, so now you accept it is not pirated software.
    >Why do you think it is illegal?

    Because they are trying to lock up the Boy that broke the code for doing it..

    And reference to the code in the US is illegal.

    Big , Oct 3, 2003
  13. On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:32:03 GMT, Big proffered,
    in : news::

    > Because they are trying to lock up the Boy that broke the code
    > for doing it..
    >
    > And reference to the code in the US is illegal.

    And that's the point - DVD software in Linux is illegal, but only under
    the DMCA in the States, and DMCA-clone legislation in some other
    countries. If one lives in a jurisdiction that does not have a DMCA
    clone, it is not illegal.

    --
    Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy. - G. B. Shaw

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Oct 3, 2003
  14. Ren Guest

    I had similar problems with my Toshiba SDM 1202 DVD Rom Drive a few years
    back. It defaulted to Zone 1 after approx 10 Playbacks.

    After some research i downloaded a small Application called DVD Genie.. This
    enables you to toggle or selct what Zone you want your player to read.
    The option is there to leave on ALL ZONE or MULTIZONE aswell..

    Hope that helps
    Ren, Oct 3, 2003
  15. Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:34:30 +1200, steve <> wrote:

    > allegedly said:
    >
    >> Um, forgive me but, would the dvd drive in my computer be the US
    >> region? So any DVD's from NZ could not be played in it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Cath [Texas]

    >How old is it?

    It's not quite two years old.

    I just went searching for the brand; came across Device Manager and
    found this:

    NEC DV - 5800A

    It does state you can change the region settings but there is a max of
    5 times this can be done. However once the value reaches zero you
    cannot alter it period even if you reinstall Windows or move the drive
    to another computer!

    New Zealand is on the list!

    I have only played one dvd on it and it worked fine yet no country was
    selected.

    Thanks for the replies.

    Now another question:
    The manager states the sound card is a:

    NVIDA GeForce2 MX with TV Out

    What does the tv out bit mean?

    Cath
    , Oct 3, 2003
  16. Peter Guest

    this quote is from Big of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:32 :
    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 22:08:49 +1200, Peter <> wrote:
    >>
    >>ok, so now you accept it is not pirated software.
    >>Why do you think it is illegal?

    > Because they are trying to lock up the Boy that broke the code for doing
    > it..

    Please stick to the facts; Jon was acquitted.
    http://archive.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/03/01/07/030107hndvdjon.xml
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/01/07/dvd.johansen/index.html
    In any case, that was in Norway, and it was about developing and
    distributing software, not viewing a DVD.

    > And reference to the code in the US is illegal.

    USA law doesn't apply in NZ (at least, they haven't invaded us yet), and
    we're talking about NZ here. (Look closely, the ng is nz.comp.)
    You still haven't answered the question; why do you think viewing a DVD on
    Linux is illegal?

    BTW, the legal issues surrounding viewing of lawfully purchased DVDs in USA
    is far from settled. Read about it at this link (it's Harvard Law School,
    so they probably know a thing or 2 about USA law) ...
    http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/DVD/

    You still haven't explained your claim that viewing a DVD on Linux is
    illegal in NZ. Can you substantiate your claim?

    Peter
    Peter, Oct 3, 2003
  17. Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:57:37 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > You can flash the drive's built-in software to make it region free but
    > this is a slightly risky business.

    Yes - there is a *slight* element of risk, in that if a power-cut happens,
    or if your OS crashes right in the middle of flashing the ROM, then your
    drive is no more than a large paperweight.

    However, if you use the right binary image for your drive, and you flash
    it using the well tested and recommended methods, you will not have a
    problem, and you will have a DVD-ROM drive which is region free.

    Of course the software that you use is not region free, and you'll need to
    use DVD-Genie to sort that out before playing any DVD-ROMs.

    If you're talking of dedicated DVD-playing machienes that plug directly
    into a TV, I understand that making them region free is sometimes not so
    easy.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Oct 3, 2003
  18. Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:58:03 +1200, Ren wrote:

    > I had similar problems with my Toshiba SDM 1202 DVD Rom Drive a few years
    > back. It defaulted to Zone 1 after approx 10 Playbacks.
    >
    > After some research i downloaded a small Application called DVD Genie..
    > This enables you to toggle or selct what Zone you want your player to
    > read. The option is there to leave on ALL ZONE or MULTIZONE aswell..

    The issue is that there are actually two things that need adjustment - the
    physical drive itself is set to a particular region, and the software that
    reads DVD discs can only permit a limited number of changes to the region
    code - as you found out.

    DVD-Genie sorts the software. You need a firmware BIOS flash to sort out
    the drive itself.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Oct 3, 2003
  19. Peter Guest

    this quote is from Big of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:24 :
    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:04:44 +1200, Peter <> wrote:
    >>this quote is from Big of Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33 :
    >>> ..., plus you are running pirated stuff to make Lunix work..

    >>How do you know?
    >>I run Linux here, and it plays DVDs fine (and no pirated software, just
    >>GPL and the like).

    > The Software for Playing DVD's with Lunix is illegal, I thought that every
    > one new that, DVD's do not have any Legal Lunix support at all..

    I see you have abandoned your claim that Steve is using pirated software.
    You should substantiate your accusation, or withdraw it.

    This is an important point, as it is a common accusation that open source
    software is somehow not legal. Of course, open source is perfectly legal,
    and the accusations are just part of a FUD campaign from unethical or
    ignorant parties. (Why else would one wrongly claim something is illegal?)

    You should apologise to Steve.

    Peter
    Peter, Oct 3, 2003
  20. Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:18:05 -0500, pinkbikini wrote:

    > The manager states the sound card is a:
    >
    > NVIDA GeForce2 MX with TV Out
    >
    > What does the tv out bit mean?

    It means that it is a VIDEO card that also has an output which can be
    recorded by a VCR or be displayed using a standard TV set.

    Lenneir
    Lennier, Oct 3, 2003