DVD Imports

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Kramer, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Robert Kramer, Aug 27, 2003

  2. Robert   Kramer

    Mutley Guest

    Robert Kramer <> wrote:

    >Seems that OZZ gets a better deal than us..
    >
    >http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7796

    Didn't Queen Helen last year legislate against parallel importing of
    CD and DVDs to protect the Hollywood cartels ?? Seems as though the
    Ozzys still believe in free trade..

    Mutley, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Robert   Kramer

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mutley" wrote
    > >Seems that OZZ gets a better deal than us..
    > >http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7796

    > Didn't Queen Helen last year legislate against parallel importing of
    > CD and DVDs to protect the Hollywood cartels ?? Seems as though the
    > Ozzys still believe in free trade..

    If she did, I missed it, any more info on that one?

    T.N.O., Aug 27, 2003
  4. Robert   Kramer

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "Mutley" wrote
    >
    >>>Seems that OZZ gets a better deal than us..
    >>>http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7796

    >>Didn't Queen Helen last year legislate against parallel importing of
    >>CD and DVDs to protect the Hollywood cartels ?? Seems as though the
    >>Ozzys still believe in free trade..

    > If she did, I missed it, any more info on that one?

    http://www.med.govt.nz/buslt/int_prop/info-sheets/parallel.html

    Full story is at the URL.

    Here is an small extract:

    Government Decisions in Relation to Parallel Importing

    On 13 December 2001, the former Minister of Commerce, Hon Paul Swain,
    and Associate Minister of Arts, Culture and Heritage, Hon Judith Tizard,
    issued a media statement announcing the legislation the government
    intends to introduce to make changes to the parallel importing regime.

    Now also Associate Minister of Commerce, Hon Judith Tizard issued a
    media statement on 17 December 2002 announcing that, in order to give
    effect to the government's undertakings as announced in December 2001,
    she had introduced the Copyright (Parallel Importation of Films and Onus
    of Proof) Amendment Bill 2002 into Parliament.
    Key Provisions in the Bill

    The Bill will amend the Copyright Act 1994 to:

    * Introduce a ban on the parallel importation of films, videos and
    DVDs for nine months after a title's first international release,
    whether in New Zealand or elsewhere. This ban will last for five years;
    * Shift the evidentiary onus of proof to the defendant in civil
    proceedings concerning whether the imported goods in question are
    infringing copies. These changes to the onus of proof only apply to
    sound recordings, films and computer programs;
    * Amend the existing requirement in the Act that the defendant in
    civil proceedings concerning the act of importation "knows or has reason
    to believe" to a requirement that the defendant "knows or ought
    reasonably to know" that the imported object is an infringing copy.
    Again, these changes only apply to sound recordings, films and computer
    programs;
    * Provide that the Court must not require the defendant to disclose
    information on sources of supply where it appears to the Court that it
    would be unreasonable to do so; and
    * Clarify existing provisions relating to rental rights in films,
    sound recordings and computer programs where those copyright works are
    parallel imported.

    steve, Aug 27, 2003
  5. Robert   Kramer

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "Mutley" wrote
    >
    >>>Seems that OZZ gets a better deal than us..
    >>>http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7796

    >>Didn't Queen Helen last year legislate against parallel importing of
    >>CD and DVDs to protect the Hollywood cartels ?? Seems as though the
    >>Ozzys still believe in free trade..

    > If she did, I missed it, any more info on that one?

    Oh...and notice that in the changes to the law, you need to prove you
    are innocent.

    The presumption is that you are guilty.

    Thanks, America.......

    steve, Aug 27, 2003
  6. On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:26:13 +1200, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"Mutley" wrote
    >> >Seems that OZZ gets a better deal than us..
    >> >http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7796

    >> Didn't Queen Helen last year legislate against parallel importing of
    >> CD and DVDs to protect the Hollywood cartels ?? Seems as though the
    >> Ozzys still believe in free trade..

    >If she did, I missed it, any more info on that one?

    Yes very true..

    Robert Kramer, Aug 27, 2003
  7. Robert   Kramer

    Paul Guest

    www.dvdworld.co.nz gets dvds
    for movies that are currently screening.

    Just down the road from me.

    Paul, Aug 29, 2003
  8. Robert   Kramer

    paulsy Guest

    paulsy, Aug 29, 2003
  9. Robert   Kramer

    Mutley Guest

    (paulsy) wrote:

    >On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:25:18 +1200, "Paul" <> wrote:
    >
    >>www.dvdworld.co.nz gets dvds
    >>for movies that are currently screening.
    >>
    >>Just down the road from me.

    >**** In Hell - $75 for a DVD is a bit much isn't it?
    >
    >Who they hell is stupid enough to pay that price?

    Exactly. Go to Amazon or ABsound . Far cheaper when landed..

    Mutley, Aug 31, 2003