    are just as impressive - maybe more so?

    Do any of them cope with cheap media?

    Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!
    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Oct 1, 2005

  2. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    XP Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, (Canon Paora Tikitiki)
    wrote:

    >Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
    >most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
    >
    >I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
    >they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
    >impatient.
    >
    >Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
    >good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
    >claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
    >are just as impressive - maybe more so?
    >
    >Do any of them cope with cheap media?
    >
    >Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

    Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only record 2
    hours at VHS quality on a DVD.
    XP, Oct 1, 2005

  3. "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, (Canon Paora
    > Tikitiki)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
    >>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
    >>
    >>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
    >>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
    >>impatient.
    >>
    >>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
    >>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
    >>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
    >>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
    >>
    >>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
    >>
    >>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

    > Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only
    > record 2
    > hours at VHS quality on a DVD.

    Wtf? Are you on drugs?
    news.xtra.co.nz, Oct 1, 2005
  4. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, (Canon Paora
    > Tikitiki)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
    >>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
    >>
    >>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
    >>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
    >>impatient.
    >>
    >>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
    >>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
    >>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
    >>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
    >>
    >>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
    >>
    >>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

    > Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only
    > record 2
    > hours at VHS quality on a DVD.

    At $10,000 each blue ray DVD recorders will be a real bargain....

    Cut the crap.
    The here and now range of DVD recorders obviously do the job intended and a
    lot better than any VCR could ever do.

    The current DVD format is well estblished with damn near every bugger now
    having a player of some kind.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 1, 2005
  5. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Daver Guest

    Latest Panasonic are quite good and now support writing to -RW as well as
    +R. The full price on the EH50 is $999 so you should be able to pick it up
    for $899 easy. The picture even is EP mode is surprising good and perfectly
    acceptable for news type programming.
    I wouldn't listen to those who say wait for Blu Ray as they probably haven't
    even got a VCR yet as they were hanging out for DVD.
    By the time blu ray is affordable and mainstrean you'll have had several
    years of use out of the Panasonic.

    Daver, Oct 1, 2005
  6. In article <1128129520.be8724902ab3e28eaac5d54cbe8d694e@teranews>,
    (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:

    >Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
    >good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off.

    I have a Pioneer, I think it's a brilliant machine. Why does its choice
    of writable media put you off?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 1, 2005
  7. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    XP Guest

    On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:35:51 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >"XP" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, (Canon Paora
    >> Tikitiki)
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
    >>>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
    >>>
    >>>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
    >>>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
    >>>impatient.
    >>>
    >>>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
    >>>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
    >>>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
    >>>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
    >>>
    >>>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
    >>>
    >>>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

    >> Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only
    >> record 2
    >> hours at VHS quality on a DVD.
    >>

    >Wtf? Are you on drugs?

    No I have a Brain not like most here.
    XP, Oct 1, 2005
  8. I think most Panasonic support DVD-RAM

    Personally I found this really useful as my DVD on the PC also supports
    DVD-RAM

    I can record segments on the Panasonic on to DVD-RAM media.
    Then put DVD-RAM media into DVD in PC. Using windows explorer, I drag the
    file into PC and rename it with an MPG extension. And hey presto have an
    MPEG2 file I can email to friends, screen capture etc.

    This pretty much made the video capture card on my PC obsolete.

    I can also use my PC to author these MPEG2 files into DVDs with motion menus
    etc. to make it look more professional. etc..
    Whalemeat is Yummy, Oct 1, 2005
  9. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 00:31:16 +1200, "Whalemeat is Yummy" <>
    wrote:

    >I think most Panasonic support DVD-RAM
    >
    >Personally I found this really useful as my DVD on the PC also supports
    >DVD-RAM

    Only if its a Panasonic Drive, the LG does not support the DVD-RAM Cartridge.

    >I can record segments on the Panasonic on to DVD-RAM media.
    >Then put DVD-RAM media into DVD in PC. Using windows explorer, I drag the
    >file into PC and rename it with an MPG extension. And hey presto have an
    >MPEG2 file I can email to friends, screen capture etc.
    >
    >This pretty much made the video capture card on my PC obsolete.
    >
    >I can also use my PC to author these MPEG2 files into DVDs with motion menus
    >etc. to make it look more professional. etc..

    When there is a DVD Recorder that can record 10 hours on a Disk at VHS quality
    I will get one
    XP, Oct 1, 2005
  10. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:54:30 +1200, XP
    <> wrote:

    >When there is a DVD Recorder that can record 10 hours on a Disk at VHS quality
    >I will get one

    But you can't even record 10hrs on a VHS tape at SP speed.... it's a wonder
    you've moved on from an XT or AT machine, after all, there's something bigger &
    better "just around the corner".
    Invisible, Oct 1, 2005
  11. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Geoff M Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:

    > Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
    > most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
    >
    > I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
    > they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
    > impatient.
    >
    > Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
    > good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
    > claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
    > are just as impressive - maybe more so?
    >
    > Do any of them cope with cheap media?
    >
    > Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

    Consumer Mag did a review of these a few months ago. The Philips didn't do
    well. Main complaint for all of them was that they were hard to set up and
    use. I can't remember all the results, but have a look on
    www.consumer.org.nz
    I am waiting for the prices to become more reasonable on them as well. They
    shouldn't be as expensive as they are
    Geoff
    Geoff M, Oct 1, 2005
  12. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Mercury Guest

    > Only if its a Panasonic Drive, the LG does not support the DVD-RAM
    > Cartridge.

    LG does support RAM (several models) including their DVD Recorder box.
    Mercury, Oct 2, 2005
  13. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:54:30 +1200, XP
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >When there is a DVD Recorder that can record 10 hours on a Disk at VHS quality
    > >I will get one

    > But you can't even record 10hrs on a VHS tape at SP speed.... it's a wonder
    > you've moved on from an XT or AT machine, after all, there's something bigger &
    > better "just around the corner".

    The issue for me is, why can't we get consumer grade DV decks. MiniDV
    camcorders are common enough.

    For some situations the extra quality of DV is much preferred, DVD is
    inferior so why bother.
    Rob J, Oct 2, 2005
  14. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 10:16:44 +1300, Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:54:30 +1200, XP
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>When there is a DVD Recorder that can record 10 hours on a Disk at VHS quality
    >>I will get one

    >But you can't even record 10hrs on a VHS tape at SP speed.... it's a wonder
    >you've moved on from an XT or AT machine, after all, there's something bigger &
    >better "just around the corner".

    What a Stupid comment, Grow up..
    XP, Oct 2, 2005
  15. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 11:44:02 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:

    >> Only if its a Panasonic Drive, the LG does not support the DVD-RAM
    >> Cartridge.

    >LG does support RAM (several models) including their DVD Recorder box.

    IT DOES NOT SUPPORT THE DVD RAM CARTRIDGE, Please read what I posted..
    XP, Oct 2, 2005
  16. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 11:44:02 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:

    >> Only if its a Panasonic Drive, the LG does not support the DVD-RAM
    >> Cartridge.

    >LG does support RAM (several models) including their DVD Recorder box.

    Only a Single sided DVD RAM, may be you should read up on the Specs..
    XP, Oct 2, 2005
  17. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Mercury Guest

    so you are now saying your "IT" now supports DVD-RAM?
    What "IT" are you specfically referring to?

    Mercury, Oct 2, 2005
  18. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 17:03:39 +1300, "Mercury" <> wrote:

    >so you are now saying your "IT" now supports DVD-RAM?
    >What "IT" are you specfically referring to?

    Are you a Teenager, ? because you are acting like one..

    XP, Oct 2, 2005
  19. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    S Roby Guest

    In article <>, XP <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 10:16:44 +1300, Invisible <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:54:30 +1200, XP
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>When there is a DVD Recorder that can record 10 hours on a Disk at VHS

    > quality
    >>>I will get one

    >>But you can't even record 10hrs on a VHS tape at SP speed.... it's a wonder
    >>you've moved on from an XT or AT machine, after all, there's something bigger

    > &
    >>better "just around the corner".

    >What a Stupid comment, Grow up..

    Looks lile a reasonable comment to me.
    S Roby, Oct 2, 2005
  20. DVD-RAM comes in non cartridge media which my Panasonic DVD recorder can use
    so that is not an issue.

    Whalemeat is Yummy, Oct 2, 2005