    Samuel Fang

    "Slower cars are friends, not food."
    - Finding Nismo
    Samuel Fang, Dec 11, 2004

  2. Samuel Fang

    John Doe Guest

    Why? There is no guarantee the DVD-HD will be the format that wins. So you
    buy a recorder and then blu-ray wins and you still have junk. I would
    suggest your just buy a regular DVD recorder and enjoy it. It will be at
    least 2 to 3 years before you have to worry about the other.

    John

    John Doe, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Samuel Fang

    RichA Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:39:29 -0500, Samuel Fang <>
    wrote:

    >Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
    >recordables to hit the market?
    >
    >I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
    >put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
    >2-3 years off.
    >
    >Thanks!

    So what if it's available in 2 months? A DVD recorder costs
    nothing for a computer based unit and about $200 for a
    stand alone, unless you want higher quality.
    An HD-DVD recorder at this stage, if it was available would
    be $1000 minimum. I think there is a Sony product out in Japan
    at $3000 but I'm not absolutely certain.
    -Rich
    RichA, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Samuel Fang

    Samuel Fang Guest

    Has Mike Dahmus *plonked* you, "John Doe" <> ?

    >Why? There is no guarantee the DVD-HD will be the format that wins. So you
    >buy a recorder and then blu-ray wins and you still have junk. I would
    >suggest your just buy a regular DVD recorder and enjoy it. It will be at
    >least 2 to 3 years before you have to worry about the other.

    Sorry. I should have been clearer. I'm not worried specifically as
    to which High Def DVD format: I just want to know when they'll be
    coming out.

    Your advice sounds pretty good, though. Does anybody know of any DVD
    recordable format/equipment that would allow 3 to 4 hours of video and
    audio, plus a second audio track?

    Some on here have told me certain PC-based software allows the
    recording of a second audio track with a recorded DVD: any specifics,
    and do any of them allow dual layering (which I'd assume would allow
    up to 3 to 3 1/2 hours of recording time)?

    Samuel Fang, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Samuel Fang

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Samuel Fang wrote:
    > Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
    > recordables to hit the market?
    >
    > I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
    > put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
    > 2-3 years off.

    Not only that, but there is a format war looming anyway. I think you're
    pretty safe to buy a DVD recorder (they're pretty cheap these days anyway)
    today, and wait for the future in the future. :)

    Mike Kohary, Dec 13, 2004
  6. Samuel Fang

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:48:35 -0800, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >Samuel Fang wrote:
    >> Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
    >> recordables to hit the market?
    >>
    >> I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
    >> put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
    >> 2-3 years off.

    >Not only that, but there is a format war looming anyway. I think you're
    >pretty safe to buy a DVD recorder (they're pretty cheap these days anyway)
    >today, and wait for the future in the future. :)

    It's looking like hd-dvd is going to be the winner and the players will be
    backward compatible.
    TCS, Dec 13, 2004
  7. Samuel Fang

    Mike Kohary Guest

    TCS wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:48:35 -0800, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >> Samuel Fang wrote:
    >>> Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
    >>> recordables to hit the market?
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
    >>> put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
    >>> 2-3 years off.

    >> Not only that, but there is a format war looming anyway. I think
    >> you're pretty safe to buy a DVD recorder (they're pretty cheap these
    >> days anyway) today, and wait for the future in the future. :)

    > It's looking like hd-dvd is going to be the winner and the players
    > will be backward compatible.

    It doesn't look like either is the clearcut winner right now, and the
    players for either format will be backwards compatible. But that's beside
    the point - you want your HD discs to be compatible with any drive, and
    HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are not compatible with each other.

    Mike Kohary, Dec 14, 2004
  8. Samuel Fang

    TCS Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:41:57 -0800, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >TCS wrote:

    >>> Not only that, but there is a format war looming anyway. I think
    >>> you're pretty safe to buy a DVD recorder (they're pretty cheap these
    >>> days anyway) today, and wait for the future in the future. :)

    >> It's looking like hd-dvd is going to be the winner and the players
    >> will be backward compatible.

    >It doesn't look like either is the clearcut winner right now, and the
    >players for either format will be backwards compatible. But that's beside
    >the point - you want your HD discs to be compatible with any drive, and
    >HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are not compatible with each other.

    And AFAIK, BR players won't be able to read DVD.
    TCS, Dec 14, 2004
  9. Samuel Fang

    3W Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message
    > And AFAIK, BR players won't be able to read DVD.

    Yeah right. What are the chances of that? About zero.
    3W, Dec 14, 2004
  10. Samuel Fang

    Mike Kohary Guest

    TCS wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:41:57 -0800, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >> TCS wrote:

    >>> It's looking like hd-dvd is going to be the winner and the players
    >>> will be backward compatible.

    >> It doesn't look like either is the clearcut winner right now, and the
    >> players for either format will be backwards compatible. But that's
    >> beside the point - you want your HD discs to be compatible with any
    >> drive, and HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are not compatible with each other.

    > And AFAIK, BR players won't be able to read DVD.

    No, both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players will be able to read standard DVD.

    Mike Kohary, Dec 14, 2004
  11. Samuel Fang

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    TCS wrote:

    > And AFAIK, BR players won't be able to read DVD.

    I rhink you're confused. There was a recent report saying that HD-DVDs
    would be capable of including non-HD content in such a way that regular
    DVD players would be able to play them while blue-ray disks would not,
    but AFAIK, new players of both types would be compatible with older disks.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Dec 14, 2004
  12. Samuel Fang

    poldy Guest

    In article <cplcq5$aum$>, "Mike Kohary" <>
    wrote:

    > It doesn't look like either is the clearcut winner right now, and the
    > players for either format will be backwards compatible. But that's beside
    > the point - you want your HD discs to be compatible with any drive, and
    > HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are not compatible with each other.

    Blu-Ray is technically the better format. Just leave aside the playback
    capacity differences for a second.

    There are Blu-Ray recorders out right now which can record 50 GB on
    dual-layer media.

    HD-DVD can't record past one layer because of the thickness of the
    surface layer. HD-DVD recorders will need more powerful blue-laser
    diodes than Blu-Ray recorders.

    There's a long threat at AVSFORUM where they are poring over the specs.
    poldy, Dec 14, 2004
  13. Samuel Fang

    RichA Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:59:29 GMT, poldy <> wrote:

    >In article <cplcq5$aum$>, "Mike Kohary" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> It doesn't look like either is the clearcut winner right now, and the
    >> players for either format will be backwards compatible. But that's beside
    >> the point - you want your HD discs to be compatible with any drive, and
    >> HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are not compatible with each other.

    >Blu-Ray is technically the better format. Just leave aside the playback
    >capacity differences for a second.
    >
    >There are Blu-Ray recorders out right now which can record 50 GB on
    >dual-layer media.
    >
    >HD-DVD can't record past one layer because of the thickness of the
    >surface layer. HD-DVD recorders will need more powerful blue-laser
    >diodes than Blu-Ray recorders.

    I hope the lifespan of those blue diodes has increased.
    -Rich
    RichA, Dec 15, 2004