    was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.

    Cheers
    Andrew

    And30280, Feb 12, 2004

  2. And30280

    Guest

    On 12 Feb 2004 23:10:21 GMT, (And30280) wrote:

    >Hi Guys and gals
    >
    >I am looking to purchase a HDD + Recorder in the near future in the UK soon and
    >was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Andrew

    get a panasonic

    , Feb 13, 2004

  3. And30280

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: (And30280)
    Date: Thu, Feb 12, 2004 5:10 PM

    Hi Guys and gals

    I am looking to purchase a HDD + Recorder in the near future in the UK soon and
    was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.

    Cheers
    Andrew
    >><BR><BR>

    Get a Panasonic DMR-80

    FredBillie, Feb 13, 2004
  4. And30280

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > On 12 Feb 2004 23:10:21 GMT, (And30280) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Guys and gals
    > >
    > >I am looking to purchase a HDD + Recorder in the near future in the UK soon
    > >and
    > >was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.
    > >
    > >Cheers
    > >Andrew

    > get a panasonic

    I've seen some Japanese web sites showing the stuff they have on sale
    over there.

    They have DVD+ and -RW models with 160 or 250 GB drives. For instance,
    in the US, the Sony RDR GX7 is $700 retail and doesn't have a hard drive
    but does both + and - formats.

    Well the PSX, which also has a PS2 built in, has a model with 160 GB HDD
    and + and - capability for $800 and a model with a 250 GB HDD for $1000.

    There are models over there without the PS2 which are less.

    You would think that later this year, they'll bring out such models over
    here so for the same amount of money or maybe less, you'll get HDD units
    with support for +R and +RW, which should be superior to the DVD-RAM
    format used by the Panasonics.

    poldy, Feb 13, 2004
  5. And30280

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    In article <>,
    poldy <> wrote:
    >You would think that later this year, they'll bring out such models over
    >here so for the same amount of money or maybe less, you'll get HDD units
    >with support for +R and +RW, which should be superior to the DVD-RAM
    >format used by the Panasonics.

    How are they superior?

    Do they allow you to play something else while recording?

    Do they allow you to edit recordings, and/or at the very least delete
    individual recordings *without* erasing the whole disc?

    DVD-RAM does, some of the other rewritable formats do not.

    (I don't own one of the Panasonics, btw, but those and the very very similar
    Toshibas are what I'm likely to get, esp when the new models come out in a
    month or two.. partially *because* of DVD-RAM, even though I think I'll do
    relatively little DVD-rewritable use.. I want the functionality though.)

    Matt Ackeret, Feb 13, 2004
  6. And30280

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: (Matt Ackeret)
    Date: Fri, Feb 13, 2004 4:46 PM

    In article <>,
    poldy <> wrote:
    >You would think that later this year, they'll bring out such models over
    >here so for the same amount of money or maybe less, you'll get HDD units
    >with support for +R and +RW, which should be superior to the DVD-RAM
    >format used by the Panasonics.

    How are they superior?

    Do they allow you to play something else while recording?

    Do they allow you to edit recordings, and/or at the very least delete
    individual recordings *without* erasing the whole disc?

    DVD-RAM does, some of the other rewritable formats do not.

    (I don't own one of the Panasonics, btw, but those and the very very similar
    Toshibas are what I'm likely to get, esp when the new models come out in a
    month or two.. partially *because* of DVD-RAM, even though I think I'll do
    relatively little DVD-rewritable use.. I want the functionality though.)
    >><BR><BR>

    Well said. While the original poster may have been alluding to +R and +RW as
    being “superiorâ€, he may have been thinking of the fact that they play on
    more DVD Players then DVD-Ram does, and that is true, but I burn to a DVD-R
    when I want compatibility. As a matter of fact, the inclusion of a hard drive
    on my DMR-HS2 seemed to make the DVD-Ram feature somewhat superfluous as I
    ALWAYS record to my HD first and then burn desirable material to a DVD-R disk.

    FredBillie, Feb 14, 2004
  7. And30280

    NightStalker Guest

    In article <>, john33907
    @comcast.net says...
    > On 12 Feb 2004 23:10:21 GMT, (And30280) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Guys and gals
    > >
    > >I am looking to purchase a HDD + Recorder in the near future in the UK soon and
    > >was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.
    > >
    > >Cheers
    > >Andrew

    > get a panasonic

    I'd normally agree, but here in Australia, we've been "dudded" by
    Panasonic. The E100 in the USA has a 120 Gb drive, but the same model
    here only has an 80 Gb drive - and I have no idea why there should be
    any difference at all. Not only that, but the price here is still
    prohibitive - the E100 is about $Aus 2500, although street prices can be
    as "low" as $Aus 2299

    So I'm still waitng for the HD sizes to go up and the prices to come
    down.

    --

    NightStalker

    NightStalker, Feb 14, 2004
  8. And30280

    fred Guest

    We get fucked on prices for everything in Australia.

    fred, Feb 15, 2004
  9. And30280

    NightStalker Guest

    In article <402ecaa8$0$27644$>,
    says...
    > We get fucked on prices for everything in Australia.

    I know - but I'm kinda used to that. What I can't understand is the
    logic, if any, behind the decision to ship here with a smaller HD...!

    Now if it had the bigger HD, and a built-in digital tuner to boot (like
    the Thompson unit) then I'd be on my skates faster than the light turns
    on to go and buy one.

    --

    NightStalker

    NightStalker, Feb 15, 2004