DVD Freezes PC

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Canopus, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Canopus

    Canopus Guest

    Here's the set up:
    Running Windows 98se, all service patches,
    Processor: AMD Athlon(XP) 1700+
    H Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR_107D
    I Drive: DVD ROM 16x

    Software (Media):
    Real Player (CD and DVD Auto Play disabled)
    WMP 5 (disassociated, not used)
    Nero 6 (Media Player and Show Time DVD player associated)
    Media Player Classic

    Problem:
    I insert DVD into I Drive and PC freezes. First I see the cursor change
    indicating a program is starting, then the cursor freezes. After a minute
    or two the cursor unfreezes, but, a few seconds later it freezes again.
    Green light is on indicating DVD is spinning, red lights on hard drive shows
    that they are working hard. Only way out is to eject DVD and everything
    returns to normal.

    Inserting DVD into H Drive fires up Nero Show Time and I'm able to view
    video. Impossible to copy legit video from I to H.

    Inserting Music CD into I drive launches Nero Media Center and am able to
    hear CDs. Same if I use H Drive to listen to CDs. CDs copy successfully
    from I to H

    Device manager indicates everything OK and no conflicts. Both DVD drives
    relatively new.

    Any suggestions to this perplexing problem that has been bugging me for a
    few months? It's a pain having to use the same drive to record a DVD to PC
    then burn to another DVD to copy it.

    Rob

    Canopus, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Canopus

    Rebelrouser Guest

    "Canopus" <> wrote in message
    > Here's the set up:
    > Running Windows 98se, all service patches,
    > Processor: AMD Athlon(XP) 1700+
    > H Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR_107D
    > I Drive: DVD ROM 16x
    >
    > Software (Media):
    > Real Player (CD and DVD Auto Play disabled)
    > WMP 5 (disassociated, not used)
    > Nero 6 (Media Player and Show Time DVD player associated)
    > Media Player Classic
    >
    > Problem:
    > I insert DVD into I Drive and PC freezes. First I see the cursor change
    > indicating a program is starting, then the cursor freezes. After a minute
    > or two the cursor unfreezes, but, a few seconds later it freezes again.
    > Green light is on indicating DVD is spinning, red lights on hard drive

    shows
    > that they are working hard. Only way out is to eject DVD and everything
    > returns to normal.
    >
    > Inserting DVD into H Drive fires up Nero Show Time and I'm able to view
    > video. Impossible to copy legit video from I to H.
    >
    > Inserting Music CD into I drive launches Nero Media Center and am able to
    > hear CDs. Same if I use H Drive to listen to CDs. CDs copy successfully
    > from I to H
    >
    > Device manager indicates everything OK and no conflicts. Both DVD drives
    > relatively new.
    >
    > Any suggestions to this perplexing problem that has been bugging me for a
    > few months? It's a pain having to use the same drive to record a DVD to

    PC
    > then burn to another DVD to copy it.
    >
    > Rob

    Why keep software that is not used on your hard drive?
    Start uninstalling them one by one until you find the one that's causing the
    freezing.
    I would start with real player.

    Dave

    Rebelrouser, Oct 1, 2004

  3. Canopus

    Canopus Guest

    "Rebelrouser" <> wrote in message

    > Why keep software that is not used on your hard drive?
    > Start uninstalling them one by one until you find the one that's causing

    the
    > freezing.
    > I would start with real player.
    >
    > Dave

    Real Player is disassociated from automatically playing CDs and DVDs upon
    insert and many other formats upon double click. I use Real Player mainly
    for listening to Internet radio that requires Real Player and for making the
    occasional mp3 which I find it is good at.

    Windows Media Player 5? Have you ever tried to uninstall WMP? It will
    screw up Windows!

    Media Player Classic I use for playing various video formats alternating
    between it and Nero Show Time. It's also handy for playing various audio
    formats in the background while I'm using other programs as it uses a very
    small amount of memory and resources plus it does not create any entries in
    the Windows registry.

    I have no programs on my PC that I don't use. If failure of the DVD player
    on I was due to a program installed then surely that program would also
    interfere with the DVD RW on H and also very likely with playing audio CDs
    on I.

    Thanks anyway,

    Rob

    Canopus, Oct 1, 2004