    the TV" DVD players .. what is the recommended frame size .. my thoughts a
    720x576 for PAL but I'm not 100% sure.

    Thnx.

    Swales, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Swales

    Bugsy Guest

    I've always used 720x576 for PAL (4x3) and have never had a problem.

    FYI there is a very useful newsgroup relating to Desktop Video at
    rec.video.desktop

    Dave

    "Swales" <> wrote in message
    > I'm cutting some home footage to VCD format with a frame size of 352x288
    > which has been working OK using Adobe Premier and LSX mpeg plugin and
    > Pinnacle DV500Plus card. I now want to cut a DVD to play on standard

    "under

    Bugsy, Feb 29, 2004

  3. "Swales" <> wrote in message
    > I'm cutting some home footage to VCD format with a frame size of 352x288
    > which has been working OK using Adobe Premier and LSX mpeg plugin and
    > Pinnacle DV500Plus card. I now want to cut a DVD to play on standard

    "under
    > the TV" DVD players .. what is the recommended frame size .. my thoughts a
    > 720x576 for PAL but I'm not 100% sure.
    >
    > Thnx.

    There are 3 resolutions supported under the DVD spec for PAL discs.
    720x576, 704x576, and 352x288.

    There are also some unnofficial ones that may or may not work. 480x576 (the
    SVCD resolution) is one of them. There is also 544x576, which I believe
    corresponds to Satellite broadcasting, so it isn't used much at all.

    Anyways, if you use 352x288, you can easily fit 5 hours on a disc, with
    possibly more than 7 hours (yes, on DVD-5).

    You can use MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. MPEG-2 has to be interlaced, though. The
    total bitrate for teh video & the audio stream during playback must not
    exceed 1.98Mbps (1980kbps). So, if you are using 224kbs audio MP2, then you
    can set the video bitrate to about 1750kbps. It should produce something
    that looks better than your VCDs.

    If your capture card supports 704x576, or 720x576, or 768x576, then I advise
    you to capture in that resolution, providing frames are not being dropped.
    You can then encode to MPEG-2, 704x576 or 720x576, with a 4:3 aspect, 25fps,
    interlaced, using Variable Bit Rate. I would set the maximum bitrate to
    about 9500kbps, since the spec allows for 9.8Mbps (9800kbps), so that leaves
    you with space for up to 300kbps audio (256kbps anyways).

    Anonymous Joe, Feb 29, 2004