    Thanks,

    --
    Dave C.

    Dave C., Aug 13, 2006

  2. "Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in message
    > With the two -R and +R formats, is one of them becoming a more preferred
    > format that the other? These formats were described to me similar to the
    > Beta and VHS where VHS has survived as the defacto standard.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Dave C.

    This stems from a brief format tussle in the early days of DVD between two
    powerful groups of manufacturers. It has never been full resolved but there
    are no significant differences between the two types of disc. They both
    record and playback computer and video data and the end result is the same,
    namely a disc that should play back on most recent PC drives and DVD
    players.

    There's hardly any difference, except to the way data is organised and the
    speed at which it can be recorded.

    Boscoe Pertwee, Aug 13, 2006

  3. Dave C.

    Travis Guest

    One of them is Dual Layer and one of them is Double layer. I'm not sure
    which or what those Layers mean but that's what they are.

    Travis, Aug 13, 2006
  4. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    "Boscoe Pertwee" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in message
    >> With the two -R and +R formats, is one of them becoming a more preferred
    >> format that the other? These formats were described to me similar to the
    >> Beta and VHS where VHS has survived as the defacto standard.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Dave C.

    > This stems from a brief format tussle in the early days of DVD between two
    > powerful groups of manufacturers. It has never been full resolved but
    > there are no significant differences between the two types of disc. They
    > both record and playback computer and video data and the end result is the
    > same, namely a disc that should play back on most recent PC drives and DVD
    > players.
    >
    > There's hardly any difference, except to the way data is organised and the
    > speed at which it can be recorded.

    I have some more info.

    I just bought an internal DVD drive (Staples) to replace my slow CD drive
    and on the box, it says the below. It is made by I/O Magic Corp. (never
    heard of them, made in China,). I bought it on the last day of the sale and
    I still can return it (have not installed it yet). I would like any
    opinions on this hardware.

    On the box, it says, Quoting:
    -----------------
    "What do you get with this drive?"

    You get Dual Format, which means you get to choose the type of media that
    best suits your computer and home entertainment system: +R, +RW, -R, -RW, +R
    DL, and - R DL.

    Also you get Double Layer, which means you can have double the storage
    capacity when using double layer DVD discs, from 4.3 gb to 8.5gb.

    End quote.

    So, I interpret that Dual Format means +R and -R, etc., and Double Layer
    (DL) means special discs have two layers and this machine can record on each
    independently which doubles the capacity.

    A few of the speed specs are Read or Write for CE is 48x and for DVD is
    16x. This probably is standard, I would guess.

    Thanks,

    Dave C

    Dave C., Aug 14, 2006