    with HT DVD players, why the heck do we need a +r and a +rw etc?

    --
    Replace spam with TPG to reply.

    Mick D, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Mick D

    Richard C. Guest

    "Mick D" <> wrote in message news:...
    : Might seem like a stupid question but given that a RAM disc can be ereased
    : and written too many times and that -r seems to be the main formt compatible
    : with HT DVD players, why the heck do we need a +r and a +rw etc?
    :
    : --
    : Replace spam with TPG to reply.
    :
    =============================
    Why do you need them?
    I don't - so I don't buy them.

    Richard C., Nov 1, 2003

  3. "Mick D" <> wrote in news::

    > Might seem like a stupid question but given that a RAM disc can be
    > ereased and written too many times and that -r seems to be the main
    > formt compatible with HT DVD players, why the heck do we need a +r and
    > a +rw etc?

    *We* don't, but each company pushing these formats would benefit greatly
    if their standard were adopted. That's why you'll see different breeds of
    Recordable DVD, flash media, etc... different products that all do
    essentially the same thing.

    As for rewritables, those would come in handy to replace tape or DVR for
    often-recorded programming. Weekly series or sporting events, for example.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Nov 2, 2003
  4. Mick D

    Impmon Guest

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 09:37:49 +1100, "Mick D" <> typed:

    >Might seem like a stupid question but given that a RAM disc can be ereased
    >and written too many times and that -r seems to be the main formt compatible
    >with HT DVD players,

    +rw (and -rw if they show up) can be erased and re-written several times
    as well. And unlike RAM (which is NOT DVD compatible at all),
    -r/rw/+r/rw can be read in most DVD players. Not all can read both
    formats but just about every DVD player can read one or the other. I
    have the +r/rw burner because my player didn't like -r.

    +r/rw supposedly has extra features for data protection but it is
    virtually the same as -r/rw otherwise.

    On the average -r/rw media is slightly cheaper than +r/rw

    If there's a drawback to +/-rw over ram, ram is still much faster.

    >why the heck do we need a +r and a +rw etc?

    Same reason we have BETA and VHS vcr players. Same reason we have
    Macintosh and PC. They are different formats being pushed by different
    companies.
    --
    space for rent.
    To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net

    Impmon, Nov 2, 2003
  5. [snip]

    > I have the +r/rw burner because my player didn't like -r.

    Aren't players required to read DVD-R to get the license to use the DVD
    logo?

    Florian T. Kunze, Nov 2, 2003
  6. Mick D

    Jeeters Guest

    > +r/rw supposedly has extra features for data protection but it is
    > virtually the same as -r/rw otherwise.

    +rw has the ability to be formatted 'on the fly' whereas -rw doesn't. i.e.,
    with +rw, just the beginning of the disk needs formatted then you can start
    writing files to it. If you start writing more files than can fit in the
    currently formatted area, then the spec provides ways for the software to
    stop writing for a moment and to format more of the disk.

    Jeeters, Nov 2, 2003
  7. Mick D

    Impmon Guest

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 15:05:49 +0100, "Florian T. Kunze"
    <> typed:

    >Aren't players required to read DVD-R to get the license to use the DVD
    >logo?

    DVD standard weas set a few years before DVD burner came about so DVD
    players aren't required to support -/+r/rw formats. If you check places
    like www.dvdrhelp.com you'll see about 80% of DVD player can use -r

    Impmon, Nov 2, 2003
  8. Mick D

    bowgus Guest

    Just bought the Plextor 708 ... using +R media, it will write at up to x8
    and using -R media, it will write at up to x4. So if yer in a hurry, get the
    +R ... get it?

    bowgus, Nov 2, 2003
  9. Mick D

    Jeeters Guest

    "bowgus" <> wrote in message
    > Just bought the Plextor 708 ... using +R media, it will write at up to x8
    > and using -R media, it will write at up to x4. So if yer in a hurry, get

    the
    > +R ... get it?

    Of course, don't forget, you need blank media that is 8x compatible.

    Jeeters, Nov 2, 2003
  10. On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:02:14 -0500, "Jeeters" <> wrote:

    >"bowgus" <> wrote in message
    >> Just bought the Plextor 708 ... using +R media, it will write at up to x8
    >> and using -R media, it will write at up to x4. So if yer in a hurry, get

    >the
    >> +R ... get it?

    >Of course, don't forget, you need blank media that is 8x compatible.

    Actually, one of the selling points of the 708 is that it will burn
    overspeed, 2X at 4X, 4X at 8X and so on. Either the media has to be
    capable of receiving less power from the laser to write the
    information, thus allowing for faster rotation at a given output, or
    in the case of the Plextor the laser power is increased once automatic
    calibration is done. I wanted to get this model myself but I needed a
    writer in a hurry, and it was two weeks before I would have been able
    to take delivery, (this was in August) so I settled on the Pioneer
    A06, which is quite good itself.

    .Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Nov 2, 2003
  11. Mick D

    bowgus Guest

    The media that's compatible is ... DVD+R for up to x8 and DVD-R for up to x4
    .... now do you get it? ... (get it was meant as a play on words ...
    asinifyerinahurryget it ... the DVR+R that is) ... :)

    bowgus, Nov 2, 2003