    Its on what format it is recorded determines where it can be played.

    If I buy a blank DVD in America I can use if to record in the UK the same
    vice versa.

    brenda, Sep 19, 2007

  2. brenda

    meerkat Guest

    "brenda" <> wrote in message
    news:zp7Ii.3445$...
    > This may sound like a daft question coming from a woman.
    > If you have a blank DVD you can record on it in any country.
    > Its on what format it is recorded determines where it can be played.
    >
    > If I buy a blank DVD in America I can use if to record in the UK the
    > same
    > vice versa.

    Record on it here in England.
    Post it to USA.
    They can `play` it.
    etc. etc.

    meerkat, Sep 19, 2007

  3. brenda

    brenda Guest

    If I record on a UK DVD recorder how come it will play in the USA as the
    format / region is different

    brenda, Sep 19, 2007
  4. "brenda" <> wrote in message
    > If I record on a UK DVD recorder how come it will play in the USA as the
    > format / region is different
    >
    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "brenda" <> wrote in message
    >> > This may sound like a daft question coming from a woman.
    >> > If you have a blank DVD you can record on it in any country.
    >> > Its on what format it is recorded determines where it can be played.
    >> >
    >> > If I buy a blank DVD in America I can use if to record in the UK the
    >> > same
    >> > vice versa.
    >> >

    >> Record on it here in England.
    >> Post it to USA.
    >> They can `play` it.
    >> etc. etc.

    I think youre probably confusing Movie DVD's that are usually region coded.
    A blank DVD is just that blank, the two man types are - and + but that is
    not affected by which country the DVD player comes from .

    Dr. Hackenbush, Sep 19, 2007
  5. "brenda" <> wrote in message
    > This may sound like a daft question coming from a woman.
    > If you have a blank DVD you can record on it in any country.
    > Its on what format it is recorded determines where it can be played.
    >
    > If I buy a blank DVD in America I can use if to record in the UK the same
    > vice versa.

    Yes, thats the basics, but..........
    Once recorded, as you are UK you will probably record the content
    as PAL. In the States many standalone players may not be able to
    read a PAL content DVD as there is no need, stateside they get
    everything before us here in UK, so where we find being able to
    playback NTSC a useful function, there is no real need for PAL
    playback in the states.
    And many American marketed *standalone* machines can't.

    Then there is region coding/locking, this used to just apply to playback
    of commercial DVD releases. This is where the PC's DVD drive will
    lock to a region on the fifth playback of a specific region.
    There is now burning software that for some reason will flag a
    user-produced disk as the same region as the burner drive if it is
    now locked to a region, so if your burner has been locked to the
    UK region, some software will flag any disks burnt as that region.

    But the simple answer is, a blank disk is a blank disk and can be
    used anywhere.
    More info and everything you need to know, also find out if your
    burner software will flag disks as region specific, how to "unlock"
    a drive etc.
    http://www.videohelp.com/

    ShirtLifter69, Sep 19, 2007
  6. brenda

    Chris Syn Guest

    if you use a PAL recorder to record (UK,ETC),It wont play on a NTSC( USA)
    player.the blank disc make no difference, a blank is a blank

    Chris Syn, Sep 19, 2007
  7. brenda

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:57:57 -0500, "Chris Syn" <>
    wrote:

    >if you use a PAL recorder to record (UK,ETC),It wont play on a NTSC( USA)
    >player.the blank disc make no difference, a blank is a blank

    And the DVD is just that. A Digital Versatile Disk. With the emphasis
    on digital. It's the machine that reads the digital information then
    outputs it in the format the machine is set for. Either PAL or NTSC.

    Alfred, Sep 19, 2007
  8. brenda

    ded Guest

    "Alfred" <> wrote in message

    > And the DVD is just that. A Digital Versatile Disk. With the emphasis
    > on digital. It's the machine that reads the digital information then
    > outputs it in the format the machine is set for. Either PAL or NTSC.

    Wrong.

    The disk is recorded at the frame rate etc of either PAL or NTSC,
    it will be one or the other (Or SECAM, or the Japanese NTSC, or
    Australian etc etc.) They are not the same, the playback "machine"
    has to be *compatible* and *capable* of playback of the standard
    the disk is recorded in.

    ded, Sep 19, 2007
  9. brenda

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:28:06 +0100, "ded" <>
    wrote:

    >"Alfred" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> And the DVD is just that. A Digital Versatile Disk. With the emphasis
    >> on digital. It's the machine that reads the digital information then
    >> outputs it in the format the machine is set for. Either PAL or NTSC.

    >Wrong.
    >
    >The disk is recorded at the frame rate etc of either PAL or NTSC,
    >it will be one or the other (Or SECAM, or the Japanese NTSC, or
    >Australian etc etc.) They are not the same, the playback "machine"
    >has to be *compatible* and *capable* of playback of the standard
    >the disk is recorded in.

    I'm not even going to bother arguing with you because you are wrong.

    Alfred, Sep 19, 2007
  10. brenda

    Top Guest

    Alfred wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:57:57 -0500, "Chris Syn" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>if you use a PAL recorder to record (UK,ETC),It wont play on a NTSC( USA)
    >>player.the blank disc make no difference, a blank is a blank

    > And the DVD is just that. A Digital Versatile Disk. With the emphasis
    > on digital. It's the machine that reads the digital information then
    > outputs it in the format the machine is set for. Either PAL or NTSC.
    >>
    >>"brenda" <> wrote in message
    >>> This may sound like a daft question coming from a woman.
    >>> If you have a blank DVD you can record on it in any country.
    >>> Its on what format it is recorded determines where it can be played.
    >>>
    >>> If I buy a blank DVD in America I can use if to record in the UK the same
    >>> vice versa.

    The machine writes the disk. The DVD is the disk that the machine
    copies on.

    Best,
    Top

    Top, Sep 19, 2007