DVD feedback for a very confused user

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jim Ford, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    I wonder if anybody could provide some feedback on the following
    issues surrounding DVDs, which I find very confusing. I have had a look in
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html, which gives a lot of
    information, but further feedback would be very welcome.

    I've got some family stuff that I recorded on a digital camcorder (a
    Canon Optura 20) on a tape in mini-DV format (I think that's what it is
    called) in the US. The camcorder can be connected to a US (i.e. NTSC) TV
    set. I would like to transfer the tape to DVD. This raises the following
    question: How can I transfer the tape so that it can be played in both US
    and Western European DVD players?

    I have a number of doubts here:

    First, there is the area issue: As far as DVDs are concerned, the US
    is in area 1, whereas Western Europe is in area 2. My understanding is that
    this really applies only to the DVDs produced by movie studios, not to
    DVDs burnt at home. Is this true? Can the mini-DV tape be taken to some
    electronics shop in the US, and be transferred to a DVD for which the area
    restriction will not apply?

    Second, we have the NTSC/PAL/SECAM issue. My understanding is that
    such systems have to do with the way an analogic video signal is encoded.
    Therefore, since the contents of a DVD are in digital format, the NTSC/PAL/
    SECAM aspect should be irrelevant here: a DVD player in the US will take
    the info in a DVD and manipulate it so that an NTSC signal is produced,
    that can be fed to a US TV set. On the other hand, a DVD player in the UK
    will take the info in that same DVD (ignoring the area issue at this
    point) and produce a PAL signal that can be fed to a UK TV set.
    That is, there is no information stored in DVDs that tells them
    on what kind of an analogic TV set they are supposed to work. Therefore,
    the the NTSC/PAL/SECAM is not an issue, as far as DVDs are concerned. Am I
    right here?

    Third, I understand there are several types of competing formats used
    to create DVDs. That is, the old VHS/Betamax/2000 war in VCR, only worse.
    I am aware of DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM. I don't know
    which one, if any, seems to be the most popular one, although I have heard
    noises to the effect that DVD-R and DVD-RW seem to be the candidates to
    beat (I may be wrong though.) Thus, I assume that before transferring my
    mini-DV tape above, I have to make sure that the DVD created from it is
    burnt in a format supported by all the DVD players, in the US and Europe,
    that I intend to play it on. Is there anything else to consider here?

    I would really appreciate input on all this, for I don't want to burn
    a DVD that will be playable only in one of the areas mentioned.
    Experiences from anybody who has attempted to do this will also be greatly
    appreciated.

    Jim Ford, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Jim Ford

    Skid Guest

    The simplest way to answer all your questions is to dodge them altogether.

    If you want to do this yourself, you'll need a PC with video in and a DVD
    burner with software to burn a region-free DVD in either PAL or NTSC. That's
    expensive and complicated, unless you know an A/V nerd with the right
    equipment who owes you a favor.

    Otherwise it's simple and relatively cheap to call a local lab or online
    service that dubs tape to DVD -- a lot of wedding videographers do this on
    the side.

    The format doesn't make that much difference. -R is generally the most
    widely compatible with standalone DVD players, and most European players can
    handle either NTSC or PAL. In other words, a DVD that plays on this side of
    the Atlantic will most likely play on the other.

    Skid, Dec 30, 2003