    can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

    nof
    Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

    Goalie, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Goalie

    Matthias Guest

    Matthias, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Goalie

    SCCC Guest

    Matthias wrote:
    > Goalie wrote:
    >
    >> I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal.
    >> I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
    >> can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

    > You could always get a 5.25" IDE to USB 2 drive enclosure for it...
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=Drive enclosures
    >
    > -- Matthias

    USB could be REAL slow, if you have an old PC that doesn't support USB2

    SCCC, Jul 6, 2005
  4. Goalie

    Nova Guest

    SCCC wrote:
    > Matthias wrote:
    >
    >> Goalie wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is
    >>> internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
    >>> can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

    >> You could always get a 5.25" IDE to USB 2 drive enclosure for it...
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=Drive enclosures
    >>
    >> -- Matthias

    > USB could be REAL slow, if you have an old PC that doesn't support USB2

    buy a pci usb2 card for $20 :)

    Nova, Jul 6, 2005
  5. Goalie

    thing Guest

    Goalie wrote:
    > I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
    > can't see any way this can be used otherwise.
    >
    > nof
    > Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

    Buy an external USB2/firewire case.....

    regards

    thing

    thing, Jul 6, 2005
  6. Goalie

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:43:02 +1200, Goalie <> wrote:

    >I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
    >can't see any way this can be used otherwise.
    >
    >nof
    >Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

    Get a Bigger case of a IDE Controller card..

    Use the Controller card for the Hard Drives..

    Tony, Jul 6, 2005
  7. Goalie

    Mark C Guest

    Goalie <> wrote in

    > I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is
    > internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I can't
    > see any way this can be used otherwise.

    Remove an existing CD drive and replace it with the DVD drive?
    (assumes the DVD drive does everything the CD drive did, and that you
    have a CD drive)

    Mark

    Mark C, Jul 6, 2005
  8. Goalie

    steven Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:43:02 +1200, Goalie wrote:

    > I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
    > can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

    care to enlighten us where you got it from, i would like to know simply
    because i prefer to stay away from places that pratice the art of False
    Advertising.

    > nof
    > Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

    i prefer the 'press any key to continue' - gets people all the time

    --
    -------------------------------------
    Steven H (.net geek)

    steven, Jul 7, 2005
  9. Goalie

    Goalie Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:02:02 +1200, steven <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:43:02 +1200, Goalie wrote:
    >
    >> I have stupidly bought a DVD drive online only to find it is internal. I don't have a spare slot. New tower needed? I
    >> can't see any way this can be used otherwise.

    >care to enlighten us where you got it from, i would like to know simply
    >because i prefer to stay away from places that pratice the art of False
    >Advertising.
    >
    >> nof
    >> Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

    >i prefer the 'press any key to continue' - gets people all the time

    Well folks found a repair shop to replace ordinary cd slot with the dvd drive in less that 2 hours and charged $33.75.
    The shop is the Computer Place at Paraparaumu - www.cando.co.nz they deserve a visit.

    Where did I buy the dvd drive? Online TradeMe. It was sold by a person who did not want to join with other sales people
    in that area so gave out the minimum about themselves. That is allowed of course and caveat emptor applies. There was no
    false advertising there was just a mug at this end.

    All's well that ends well and I have learnt a lot in the replies I've received. Buying online has worked for me here and
    in NSW. I have all sorts of gizmos and the like here and all have been honest in their dealings.

    Thanks everyone, Points noted

    Goalie, Jul 7, 2005