    dollar range. A bunch of excellent movies can be had for these prices.
    Anyway, food for thought.

    Jake
    Jake, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Jake

    M.B. Guest

    Jake wrote:
    > I typically keep 40-50 movies on my wish list at DVD Empire. Order
    > about 4-5 a month to build my collection. On a whim yesterday I price
    > checked the most expensive movies on my wish list against Amazon. Without
    > exception, the most expensive movies (20-23 dollar range) on DVD Empire
    > were, on average, 2-3 dollars cheaper on Amazon. Now, I didn't price check
    > them against any other sites. I'm sure I could have found prices cheaper
    > than Amazon but I like reliability in my shipping and it's hard to beat DVD
    > Empire or Amazon on that count. I also like good customer service, should I
    > need it, and both companies excel in that area as well.
    > Where DVD Empire shines is in the older films. That is to say, old by
    > movie release timetable standards. So movies that have been released for at
    > least a year. DVD Empire is quick to bring these movies down to the 11-15
    > dollar range. A bunch of excellent movies can be had for these prices.
    > Anyway, food for thought.

    Anyone that's anyone that has read this newsgroup for any length of
    time, always checks dvdpricesearch.com before purchasing a DVD.

    M.B., Oct 17, 2004

  3. A couple of things to keep in mind:

    On dvdpricesearch.com, they will show shipping with amazon.com, but this
    can be eliminated by ordering a minimum of $25 (2 or 3 dvds at most).

    Walmart now has a nice little in-store selection of dvds a $7.50, neatly
    displayed on racks (not dumped in those horrible big bins). For example
    I just picked up Long Riders and Thunderheart. These do not show up on
    dvdpricesearch.com where the other vendors typically charge between
    $9-15 for these titles.

    alfonso_rabbit, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Jake

    M.B. Guest

    alfonso_rabbit wrote:

    > Walmart now has a nice little in-store selection of dvds a $7.50, neatly
    > displayed on racks (not dumped in those horrible big bins). For example
    > I just picked up Long Riders and Thunderheart. These do not show up on
    > dvdpricesearch.com where the other vendors typically charge between
    > $9-15 for these titles.

    We were talking online, not brick & mortar stores. And most of those
    movies for $7.50 aren't worth the cost of the packaging, little alone $7.50.

    M.B., Oct 17, 2004
  5. Actually, the original subject only pertained to DVD Empire and Amazon.
    You broadened it to include all online stores. Besides my point about
    shipping at Amazon, which is relevant to the original subject, I merely
    wished to point out that certain titles (admittedly not a huge
    selection) were available even cheaper than at the online stores at
    Walmart. Of course, those who would rather pay more online than at a
    local store and have to send it back in the event of a defect, there is
    always that option. As for your assessment of the quality of the films,
    I think few movie lovers would agree with your assessment of the 2
    titles I mentioned. I saw other equally good titles among the current
    $7.50 selection. Perhaps you haven't been to your local Walmart lately.
    Just exit from the hole in the ground you live in and make a left. You
    can't miss it. You see, it's not difficult to be polite.

    alfonso_rabbit, Oct 17, 2004
  6. Jake

    M.B. Guest

    alfonso_rabbit wrote:

    > Just exit from the hole in the ground you live in and make a left. You
    > can't miss it. You see, it's not difficult to be polite.

    Obviously it's difficult for you to be polite. Nothing in my post was
    impolite.

    Oh well, just one more to add to my growing kill file list....

    M.B., Oct 17, 2004
  7. Jake

    Jake Guest

    You raise a valid point about dvdpricesearch but as I stated in my original
    post, I restricted it to these two sites because I appreciate their shipping
    reliability and customer service. I'm willing to pay a little more for a
    DVD to get those services. Also, if I order 5 DVDs in a month I don't want
    to order from 5 different sites.

    Jake, Oct 17, 2004
  8. Jake

    luminos Guest

    "M.B." <> wrote in message news:4172c76b_4@127.0.0.1...
    > alfonso_rabbit wrote:
    >>
    >> Just exit from the hole in the ground you live in and make a left. You
    >> can't miss it. You see, it's not difficult to be polite.

    > Obviously it's difficult for you to be polite. Nothing in my post was
    > impolite.
    >
    > Oh well, just one more to add to my growing kill file list....

    You might want to add yourself just to save some time.
    luminos, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Jake

    M.B. Guest

    luminos wrote:
    > "M.B." <> wrote in message news:4172c76b_4@127.0.0.1...
    >
    >>alfonso_rabbit wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just exit from the hole in the ground you live in and make a left. You
    >>>can't miss it. You see, it's not difficult to be polite.

    >>Obviously it's difficult for you to be polite. Nothing in my post was
    >>impolite.
    >>
    >>Oh well, just one more to add to my growing kill file list....

    > You might want to add yourself just to save some time.

    Oh shucks! Another one to add....

    M.B., Oct 18, 2004
  10. Jake

    junglejim Guest

    "Jake" <> wrote in news:hqlcd.12904$bk1.9893@fed1read05:

    Where DVD Empire shines is in the older films. That is to say,
    > old by
    > movie release timetable standards. So movies that have been released
    > for at least a year. DVD Empire is quick to bring these movies down
    > to the 11-15 dollar range. A bunch of excellent movies can be had for
    > these prices. Anyway, food for thought.
    >
    > Jake

    Well, many studios now routinely reduce MSRP on DVD's within 6 months to
    a year after release. The time frame from theatrical release to DVD
    release is down to 3 or 4 months, and lowering of MSRPs is aslo becoming
    shorter after initial release. www.davisdvd.com lists upcoming price
    drops. $24.99 prices go to $19.99 and then $14.99, $14.99 MSRP's may go
    to $9.99 after a while. DVDEmpire and DeepDiscountDVd are usually pretty
    good about lowering MSRP's quickly (even in advance of the official
    price drop date), maybe because they get the lower prices from the
    distributor in advance of the official price change date. So what you
    are really seeing is the studios lowering the MSRP after the initial
    sales and marketing is over, after the DVDs have hit the rental market,
    and maybe even to better compete with the sales of popular used dvd's by
    rental stores.
    junglejim, Oct 19, 2004