DVD Drives Not Showing Up In My Computer

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Parrôtt, Feb 28, 2007.

  1. Parrôtt

    Parrôtt Guest

    Installed Windows XP x64 and both DVD Drives were fine for about 1-2 weeks.
    I booted into Windows the other day to find that both my DVD Drives aren't
    showing. Went into Device Manager and sure enough both drives have the
    Question Mark sign.
    I downloaded firmware for both drives but they didn't work.

    Any suggestions on how to get my DVD Drives back again and usuable?

    Here are two screenshots I took when trying to firwmware the DVD Drives.

    One's an ASUS 1608P3S: http://i16.tinypic.com/2zxo7jq.jpg

    and the other a LITEON SOHW1693S: http://i12.tinypic.com/29kp3ys.jpg

    Thanks for your help

    Have a blessed one... :)

    Parrôtt, Feb 28, 2007

  2. Parrôtt

    John Barnes Guest

    The most common reason has been installing Kodak EasyShare. If you
    installed it, use the restore point before that.
    Other reasons are the High and Low filters that some programs have set.
    Check in Device Manager.

    John Barnes, Feb 28, 2007

  3. Parrôtt

    Kue2 Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q314060

    Kue2, Feb 28, 2007
  4. Parrôtt

    Parrôtt Guest

    So by following the guide with the link you posted my DVD drives should be
    workable again?

    Will try it and see what happens. And to John, I don't have Kodak Easyshare
    installed on my PC.

    Have a blessed one... :)

    Parrôtt, Feb 28, 2007
  5. Parrôtt

    Parrôtt Guest

    Went to the M$ link you put up Kue2 and tried what it said but nothing
    worked. Uninstalled the drivers from device manager then scanned for
    hardware changes. The drives came back but still with the yellow question
    marks against them. I have been into the BIOS to make sure everything
    alright and still nothing. So I have no drives to use under Windows XP x64.
    Both my DVD burners work under Windows XP no probs........so it's not the
    drives. What else can one try to get them workable again?

    Have a blessed one... :)

    Parrôtt, Mar 1, 2007
  6. Parrôtt

    John Barnes Guest

    What program have you installed to write to your DVD's.

    John Barnes, Mar 1, 2007
  7. Parrôtt

    Kue2 Guest

    Did you follow the instructions for deleting the High & low filters in the
    registry?

    Kue2, Mar 1, 2007
  8. Parrôtt

    Parrôtt Guest

    John, I haven't installed any programs to burn DVD's / CD's with yet. And I
    did as the instructions said as to deleting the High and Low Filters but
    that didn't work...... :)

    Have a blessed one... :)

    Parrôtt, Mar 2, 2007
  9. Parrôtt

    Parrôtt Guest

    OK, went back into regedit to see if the High / Low filters were there and
    the low was still there and deleted it. Rebooted and wallah, all is good.

    Can I ask what exactly is the High / Low filters and what program/s could I
    have installed that did this?

    Thanks for your help John and Kue2

    Have a blessed one... :)

    Parrôtt, Mar 2, 2007
  10. Parrôtt

    John Barnes Guest

    This is the best list I have seen
    http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/about4719.html

    John Barnes, Mar 2, 2007
  11. Parrôtt

    Kue2 Guest

    John Very good post thanks for the link to the article.It is very
    informative.

    Kue2, Mar 2, 2007
  12. Parrôtt

    Parrôtt Guest

    Thanks John for the link to info on filters and what they do.

    Have a blessed one... :)

    Parrôtt, Mar 2, 2007