DVD drive reads DVD's, not music.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Patrick D. Rockwell, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. I have an Inspiron 2500 with WinXP, 512 megs of ram and 20 Gigs diskspace.
    About
    a week ago, I noticed something funny about my system. If I started up
    MusicMatch 10 first,
    and then slapped in a CD, my system won't read the CD. But if I put in the
    CD first after restarting
    my laptop, it will ask me which player I want to use, and I tell it
    MusicMatch, and it works so I
    can rip the CD. I had to restart my laptop for EACH CD that I wanted to rip.

    Now, my DVD/CD player just won't read the CD's. It plays DVD movies just
    fine. I was told
    that 80% of the time, this is a software issue. Does anyone have a clue as
    to the cause and/or
    remedy? I've tried rebooting with just basic services and drivers, and that
    didn't seem to help.
    I can't use SYSTEM RESTORE because when I checked it, I couldn't find any
    usable dates.

    Thanks in advance for any help that I receive.

    --
    Patrick D. Rockwell
    Patrick D. Rockwell, Feb 23, 2005