    I'm not very good with computers (like that wasn't clear already :( ), so any (detailed!) help would be appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Irene

    inithaca, Jun 21, 2007

  2. inithaca

    uesquebeathus

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Missing or damaged DVD CD DRIVES in xp an vista
    have a look at

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

    or this

    this software patch from here can solve the problem sometimes, it was aimed at windows XP, but the problem is still there in Vista unfortunately
    go to this web page

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

    and Download

    XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

    and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

    This utility is only intended for Windows XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

    this is another way you have to open regedit and change this key
    click start, then enter regedit

    first back up the entire registry.

    then look for this key

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11*CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    I am sorry but if the key is not there you will have to create it, then you will see the drive again,

    uesquebeathus, Jul 2, 2007