dvd drive not being recognized

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Larry Hale, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. Larry Hale

    Larry Hale Guest

    PC Dell Dimension 8200

    Operating System Windows XP SP2

    DVD Drive GDR8162B

    The drive is not recognizing any of the media I attempt to play.

    I have tried flashing the current firmware

    The drive was working perfectly but when I install a disk it is not
    recognized and when I right click on the DVD Rom drive it shows up as being
    completely full when there is no disk in the drive.

    Everything seems to be connected because the drive is listed in device
    manager.

    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device and the driver but it is still
    not recognized when I reinstall.

    I have seen others having a problem with this particular dvd drive.

    Any suggestions?

    Get a new drive would be my suggestion but I would feel really good if I
    could repair it myself and save some money.

    Thank you.

    Larry Hale, Sep 3, 2007

  2. Larry Hale wrote:
    > PC Dell Dimension 8200
    >
    > Operating System Windows XP SP2
    >
    > DVD Drive GDR8162B
    >
    > The drive is not recognizing any of the media I attempt to play.
    >
    > I have tried flashing the current firmware
    >
    > The drive was working perfectly but when I install a disk it is not
    > recognized and when I right click on the DVD Rom drive it shows up as being
    > completely full when there is no disk in the drive.
    >
    > Everything seems to be connected because the drive is listed in device
    > manager.
    >
    > I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device and the driver but it is still
    > not recognized when I reinstall.
    >
    > I have seen others having a problem with this particular dvd drive.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Get a new drive would be my suggestion but I would feel really good if I
    > could repair it myself and save some money.

    Well, if you want to disassemble the drive and gently clean the lens
    with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol, probably won't hurt anything.
    But these things are basically disposable. And everything with moving
    parts will tear up at some point.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 3, 2007

  3. Larry Hale

    Larry Hale Guest

    I should have known considering the dvd drive cost $54.00 three years ago.

    I only used it for a year or less because I had a tech person install it
    when I had a new hard drive installed.

    Larry Hale, Sep 3, 2007