DVD drive drawers will not open.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Walden, Apr 11, 2011.

  1. Walden

    Walden Guest

    Greetings to all,

    Running XP Pro, Service Pack 3

    I have two DVD drives manufactured by LITE-ON (LH-20A1P and LH-20A1H)
    that have worked properly, then suddenly decided not to open their
    drawers. (Okay ... no jokes about that!)

    Both of them show up in Device Manager without asterisks and whose
    Properties tell me they're "working properly."

    Neither the button on the front, nor selecting "Eject" on their
    context menus produce the same result ... a round of clicking and
    brief moments of trying to open ... then stop.

    I've disconnected the cables from both, then restarted XP, after which
    they disappear from Device Manager ... then reconnected them ... let
    Plug and Play find them as new hardware ... after which they
    re-display in Device Manager as "working properly," but still have the
    same problem.

    I applied the most recent firmware from LITE-ON to one of them ... the
    other one (the LightScribe model) has no firmware updates available.

    Since both of them behave in the same way, I don't think it's a
    mechanical problem. I have a feeing it's a corrupted driver problem,
    but don't know how to fix it. I'm totally puzzled. Can anyone help?

    Thanks,

    Walden

    Walden, Apr 11, 2011

  2. Walden

    Paul Guest

    Walden wrote:
    > Greetings to all,
    >
    > Running XP Pro, Service Pack 3
    >
    > I have two DVD drives manufactured by LITE-ON (LH-20A1P and LH-20A1H)
    > that have worked properly, then suddenly decided not to open their
    > drawers. (Okay ... no jokes about that!)
    >
    > Both of them show up in Device Manager without asterisks and whose
    > Properties tell me they're "working properly."
    >
    > Neither the button on the front, nor selecting "Eject" on their
    > context menus produce the same result ... a round of clicking and
    > brief moments of trying to open ... then stop.
    >
    > I've disconnected the cables from both, then restarted XP, after which
    > they disappear from Device Manager ... then reconnected them ... let
    > Plug and Play find them as new hardware ... after which they
    > re-display in Device Manager as "working properly," but still have the
    > same problem.
    >
    > I applied the most recent firmware from LITE-ON to one of them ... the
    > other one (the LightScribe model) has no firmware updates available.
    >
    > Since both of them behave in the same way, I don't think it's a
    > mechanical problem. I have a feeing it's a corrupted driver problem,
    > but don't know how to fix it. I'm totally puzzled. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Walden

    Windows allows programs you install, to add "shims" to the protocol stack.
    A term for this is "upperfilter / lowerfilter". And that term refers to
    a "filter driver", which is a driver that jams itself between two
    regular parts of the driver stack, and filters the commands it sees,
    or adds commands of its own.

    Examples of interfering third party software would be CD/DVD burner
    programs, virtual CDs (mount an ISO9660 image), ripping programs and
    so on. In some cases, you may not be aware the program has potentially
    interfering components (iTunes).

    With regard to feature set, here is a section from a copy of the ATA/ATAPI
    spec I have on disk here.

    ******* d1532v1r1a-ATA-ATAPI-7 *******

    4.11.2 Removable Media feature set

    The Removable Media feature set is intended only for devices not implementing
    the PACKET Command feature set. This feature set operates with Media Status
    Notification disabled. The MEDIA LOCK and MEDIA UNLOCK commands are used to
    secure the media and the MEDIA EJECT command is used to remove the media.
    While the media is locked, the eject button does not eject the media. Media status
    is determined by checking the media status bits returned by the MEDIA LOCK and
    MEDIA UNLOCK commands. Power-on reset, hardware reset, and the
    EXECUTE DEVICE DIAGNOSTIC command clear the Media Lock (LOCK) state and the
    Media Change Request (MCR) state. Software reset clears the Media Lock (LOCK)
    state, clears the Media Change Request (MCR) state, and preserves the
    Media Change (MC) state. The following commands are defined to implement
    the Removable Media feature set.

    - MEDIA EJECT
    - MEDIA LOCK
    - MEDIA UNLOCK

    *******

    If some software is issuing MEDIA LOCK commands, that could account for a
    lack of user control of the situation.

    A more far-fetched cause, would be a bug in a root kit, such as TDSS/Alureon,
    impacting the function of the ATAPI interface. Kaspersky hosts a tool
    called TDSSKiller for that, but I would only run that if there was evidence
    you needed it. A root kit can prevent a user from fixing things, such as
    running System File Checker and attempting to repair files that make the
    protocol stack for a storage device. TDSS interferes in such a way, as to
    hide its presence, and uses an unused part of the disk, to store any
    information it might need for re-infection or starting itself at
    boot time. A tool that might detect TDSS is MalwareBytes MBAM.
    TDSS would be a giant, pain in the ass kind of filter driver.

    TDSSKiller
    http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

    (The free version is suitable for scanning and curing problems)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes

    If you have any trouble running tools like that, that's generally
    a sign you're infected.

    What you've done recently to the computer, whether the computer
    has acted "weird" recently, may give you some hint as to what
    the problem is. It's possible for the tray mechanism to fail,
    but as you observe, the odds of two drives failing in exactly
    the same way, is far fetched.

    If you can

    1) Turn off the computer power.
    2) Turn it on again (necessary, because the design of SATA doesn't
    guarantee sanity unless you turn off the power).
    3) Start the computer.
    4) Enter the BIOS setup screen. The BIOS setup screen should be
    a relatively benign environment for testing.
    5) Practice inserting and removing a CD or DVD via the button,
    and it works...

    then that would tell you the tray mechanism isn't broken.

    The tray mechanism has a form of overcurrent detection. If the
    tray "meets resistance" while it is opening, it can reverse
    direction. This occasionally accounts for the symptoms, and
    might give a bit of noises as well. But it isn't likely that
    two drives die at the same time. If you press the button,
    and there is no state change at all evident (drive still
    spinning, no new noises), that's "MEDIA LOCK".

    If the media inserted in the drive is virtually unreadable,
    has a high error rate, flaky etc., that can also cause
    the drive to freeze. The drive may be attempting to read the
    media tag, and do its discovery thing, and then, ignoring
    all other user or computer input. Test the tray with
    "known good" media.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 11, 2011

  3. Walden

    Mike Easter Guest

    Walden wrote:

    > I have two DVD drives manufactured by LITE-ON (LH-20A1P and LH-20A1H)
    > that have worked properly, then suddenly decided not to open their
    > drawers.

    Do this test:

    Open the drawer manually using the pin hole. Put a CD in the tray. See
    if the eject mechanism now works properly for open and close.

    Such Lite-On trays are notorious for a magnet related problem which is
    improved/remedied by the effect of a disk in the tray.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 11, 2011
  4. Walden was thinking very hard and all he could come up with was:
    > Greetings to all,
    >
    > Running XP Pro, Service Pack 3
    >
    > I have two DVD drives manufactured by LITE-ON (LH-20A1P and LH-20A1H)
    > that have worked properly, then suddenly decided not to open their
    > drawers. (Okay ... no jokes about that!)
    >
    > Both of them show up in Device Manager without asterisks and whose
    > Properties tell me they're "working properly."
    >
    > Neither the button on the front, nor selecting "Eject" on their
    > context menus produce the same result ... a round of clicking and
    > brief moments of trying to open ... then stop.
    >
    > I've disconnected the cables from both, then restarted XP, after which
    > they disappear from Device Manager ... then reconnected them ... let
    > Plug and Play find them as new hardware ... after which they
    > re-display in Device Manager as "working properly," but still have the
    > same problem.
    >
    > I applied the most recent firmware from LITE-ON to one of them ... the
    > other one (the LightScribe model) has no firmware updates available.
    >
    > Since both of them behave in the same way, I don't think it's a
    > mechanical problem. I have a feeing it's a corrupted driver problem,
    > but don't know how to fix it. I'm totally puzzled. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Walden

    Would a Drive Tray program work as a temporary quick fix until you
    solve the problem?

    I use WineCD tray program regularly so I don't have to fumble around
    under the desk to find the button, and there are quite a number of
    these programs out there on any freeware site.

    It won't fix your problem, but it might give you some access until the
    problem is fixed.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road,
    and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be
    swept off to.
    -Samwise Gamgee quoting Bilbo Baggins, edited

    James D Andrews, Apr 11, 2011
  5. "Walden" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings to all,
    >
    > Running XP Pro, Service Pack 3
    >
    > I have two DVD drives manufactured by LITE-ON (LH-20A1P and LH-20A1H)
    > that have worked properly, then suddenly decided not to open their
    > drawers. (Okay ... no jokes about that!)
    >
    > Both of them show up in Device Manager without asterisks and whose
    > Properties tell me they're "working properly."
    >
    > Neither the button on the front, nor selecting "Eject" on their
    > context menus produce the same result ... a round of clicking and
    > brief moments of trying to open ... then stop.
    >
    > I've disconnected the cables from both, then restarted XP, after which
    > they disappear from Device Manager ... then reconnected them ... let
    > Plug and Play find them as new hardware ... after which they
    > re-display in Device Manager as "working properly," but still have the
    > same problem.
    >
    > I applied the most recent firmware from LITE-ON to one of them ... the
    > other one (the LightScribe model) has no firmware updates available.
    >
    > Since both of them behave in the same way, I don't think it's a
    > mechanical problem. I have a feeing it's a corrupted driver problem,
    > but don't know how to fix it. I'm totally puzzled. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Walden

    You have lost the power supply voltage to them. You still have the logic
    voltage, so they show up in Device Manager -- the walk and talk and chew gum
    so the Device Manager is happy. They don't have the power to spit the gum
    out, and the device manager doesn't know about that.

    If there is a tiny hole in the front of the tray, you can straighten a
    paperclip and insert it into the hole to release the lock and open the tray.
    All you get from this is your CD back, the tray will still be broken.

    You might actually have the voltage since you describe hearing it attempt to
    open. This would mean the trays are broken. Busted drive belts, something
    like that. Do you have a kid that might have put a penney in them?

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 11, 2011
  6. Walden

    Walden Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:24:44 -0400, Paul <> wrote:

> [...]

    >5) Practice inserting and removing a CD or DVD via the button,
    > and it works...
    >
    >then that would tell you the tray mechanism isn't broken.
    >
    >The tray mechanism has a form of overcurrent detection. If the
    >tray "meets resistance" while it is opening, it can reverse
    >direction. This occasionally accounts for the symptoms, and
    >might give a bit of noises as well. But it isn't likely that
    >two drives die at the same time. If you press the button,
    >and there is no state change at all evident (drive still
    >spinning, no new noises), that's "MEDIA LOCK".
    >
    >If the media inserted in the drive is virtually unreadable,
    >has a high error rate, flaky etc., that can also cause
    >the drive to freeze. The drive may be attempting to read the
    >media tag, and do its discovery thing, and then, ignoring
    >all other user or computer input. Test the tray with

    Thank you for your suggestions, Paul. My friend had to take his
    compuetr back home for a few days to do some word processing, so I
    won't be able to check them out for a few days.

    I'll have it back before the weekend, and will tell you how I made
    out.

    Walden, Apr 11, 2011
  7. Walden

    Walden Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 07:23:07 -0700, Mike Easter <>
    wrote:

    >Walden wrote:
    >
    >> I have two DVD drives manufactured by LITE-ON (LH-20A1P and LH-20A1H)
    >> that have worked properly, then suddenly decided not to open their
    >> drawers.

    >Do this test:
    >
    >Open the drawer manually using the pin hole. Put a CD in the tray. See
    >if the eject mechanism now works properly for open and close.
    >
    >Such Lite-On trays are notorious for a magnet related problem which is
    >improved/remedied by the effect of a disk in the tray.

    Thank you Mike! This worked perfectly, as you suggested. Something
    I would never have tried without your help. Another lesson learned
    .... and your experience has also taught me to avoid Lite-On drives in
    the future ... and that's another blessing in itself.

    Walden, Apr 11, 2011
  8. Walden

    Mike Easter Guest

    Walden wrote:
    > Mike Easter
    >> Walden wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have two DVD drives manufactured by LITE-ON (LH-20A1P and LH-20A1H)
    >>> that have worked properly, then suddenly decided not to open their
    >>> drawers.

    >> Such Lite-On trays are notorious for a magnet related problem which is
    >> improved/remedied by the effect of a disk in the tray.

    > Thank you Mike! This worked perfectly, as you suggested. Something
    > I would never have tried without your help. Another lesson learned
    > ... and your experience has also taught me to avoid Lite-On drives in
    > the future ... and that's another blessing in itself.

    YW.

    Here's the longer version of the story I posted recently.

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt/msg/1fc93d6831b1f911?hl=en
    or http://bit.ly/hB2MnG

    Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    Subject: CD drive magnet problem
    Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 09:14:38 -0700

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 12, 2011
  9. Walden

    Kele Guest

    Jeff's voltage theory makes the most sense to me seeing as though both
    drives are all of a sudden dead - too coincidental. The reason I'm writing
    is that I just visited a custom computer shop where it's possible to sit at
    the work bench. The three foot tall Ferrari he was currently building had
    two Lite-On disc drives. I wouldn't suspect they would put crap into that
    where everything looked wildly high-end. I'm sure there's different models,
    some better than others, but I would get a Lite-On drive in a heart beat.

    ------------

    Kele, Apr 12, 2011
  10. Kele banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > Jeff's voltage theory makes the most sense to me seeing as though both
    > drives are all of a sudden dead - too coincidental. The reason I'm writing
    > is that I just visited a custom computer shop where it's possible to sit at
    > the work bench. The three foot tall Ferrari he was currently building had
    > two Lite-On disc drives. I wouldn't suspect they would put crap into that
    > where everything looked wildly high-end. I'm sure there's different models,
    > some better than others, but I would get a Lite-On drive in a heart beat.
    >

    > ------------
    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >
    > You have lost the power supply voltage to them. You still have the logic
    > voltage, so they show up in Device Manager -- the walk and talk and chew gum
    > so the Device Manager is happy. They don't have the power to spit the gum
    > out, and the device manager doesn't know about that.
    >
    > If there is a tiny hole in the front of the tray, you can straighten a
    > paperclip and insert it into the hole to release the lock and open the tray.
    > All you get from this is your CD back, the tray will still be broken.
    >
    > You might actually have the voltage since you describe hearing it attempt to
    > open. This would mean the trays are broken. Busted drive belts, something
    > like that. Do you have a kid that might have put a penney in them?

    I've had good and bad experiences with Lite-On. Most of the time, you
    can't beat it for price. Like anything these days, you never know what
    you get. :)

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
    that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
    good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
    -Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

    James D Andrews, Apr 12, 2011