    is there a driver for most dvd s ?

    the drive plays cd s fine but wont play dvd s .
    yes it is a dvd drive
    Maurice Byrne, Sep 1, 2005

  2. > the drive plays cd s fine but wont play dvd s .

    What is the drive manufacturer? Are you using commercial DVD-ROM or
    DVD-R/W media? Some DVD drives cannot read DVD-RWs.
    Alexander Rogge, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Maurice Byrne

    aleX Guest

    Maurice Byrne wrote:
    > my pc is running win 98 and is a few years old probally a p 2 366 or there
    > abouts .
    >
    > is there a driver for most dvd s ?
    >
    > the drive plays cd s fine but wont play dvd s .
    > yes it is a dvd drive

    I've got a few old PC's and I've found that I need at least an 800MHz
    processor to watch a DVD properly. I can play them on a 500MHz, but it
    resembles a slide show. I doubt very much your PC is powerful enough to
    watch them. Maybe someone will say it's possible with a minimal linux
    install and software player, but I doubt it.. I'll be interested too if
    anyone can help with a solution.
    aleX, Sep 1, 2005
  4. the pc came with a dvd rom so it should work. done a re install recently.
    will check model and get back

    Maurice Byrne, Sep 1, 2005
  5. Maurice Byrne

    aleX Guest

    aleX wrote:
    > Maurice Byrne wrote:
    >
    >> my pc is running win 98 and is a few years old probally a p 2 366 or
    >> there abouts .
    >>
    >> is there a driver for most dvd s ?
    >>
    >> the drive plays cd s fine but wont play dvd s .
    >> yes it is a dvd drive

    > I've got a few old PC's and I've found that I need at least an 800MHz
    > processor to watch a DVD properly. I can play them on a 500MHz, but it
    > resembles a slide show. I doubt very much your PC is powerful enough to
    > watch them. Maybe someone will say it's possible with a minimal linux
    > install and software player, but I doubt it.. I'll be interested too if
    > anyone can help with a solution.

    Thought you meant DVD films, ah well, yes you should be able to read
    data dvds, though my experience is using win98 second edition. Don't
    recall ever having to add drivers, maybe W98se or my NERO program added
    them?
    aleX, Sep 1, 2005
  6. Maurice Byrne

    Blown Guest

    You need a program that will play dvd's "should have come with drive" to get
    the proper dvd codec to play that format. At one time you could by the
    codec. now????? give it a try.

    Blown, Sep 2, 2005