    but I cannot get the DVD recognised. Is there some program I could
    download that would enable me to get the information on the DVD?
    pete
    pete, Mar 6, 2007

  2. pete

    McFly Guest

    Pete,

    If your talking about the player not being able to recognize DVD
    movies, then googe Lalim DVD Player.

    -fly

    McFly, Mar 6, 2007

  3. pete

    pete Guest

    On 5 Mar 2007 18:10:35 -0800, "McFly" <> wrote:

    >On Mar 5, 7:07 pm, pete <> wrote:
    >> I have a new computer and a DVD has been given me to replace one I
    >> lost. I have a DVD/CD tray on my computer and it works playing CD's
    >> but I cannot get the DVD recognised. Is there some program I could
    >> download that would enable me to get the information on the DVD?
    >> pete

    >Pete,
    >
    >If your talking about the player not being able to recognize DVD
    >movies, then googe Lalim DVD Player.

    No it is not a movie. It is a DVD full of still pictures and it worked
    OK on my old comuter but that was taken by the burglars and this new
    computer will not open the DVD. It will not work on an ordinary DVD
    player either even though it works on a computer if that gives a clue
    that I do not understand. Any ideas would be most welcome?
    pete
    www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk
    www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
    pete, Mar 7, 2007
  4. pete

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    pete wrote:
    > On 5 Mar 2007 18:10:35 -0800, "McFly" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mar 5, 7:07 pm, pete <> wrote:
    >>> I have a new computer and a DVD has been given me to replace one I
    >>> lost. I have a DVD/CD tray on my computer and it works playing CD's
    >>> but I cannot get the DVD recognised. Is there some program I could
    >>> download that would enable me to get the information on the DVD?
    >>> pete

    >> Pete,
    >>
    >> If your talking about the player not being able to recognize DVD
    >> movies, then googe Lalim DVD Player.

    > No it is not a movie. It is a DVD full of still pictures and it worked
    > OK on my old comuter but that was taken by the burglars and this new
    > computer will not open the DVD. It will not work on an ordinary DVD
    > player either even though it works on a computer if that gives a clue
    > that I do not understand. Any ideas would be most welcome?

    The obvious question then is whether the new computer has a DVD drive,
    and not just a CD drive.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Mar 7, 2007
  5. pete

    Soundblaster Guest

    "pete" <> wrote in message
    >I have a new computer and a DVD has been given me to replace one I
    > lost. I have a DVD/CD tray on my computer and it works playing CD's
    > but I cannot get the DVD recognised. Is there some program I could
    > download that would enable me to get the information on the DVD?
    > pete

    You require a "DVD decoder"
    This is a piece of software that allows playback of DVD's
    It is normally pre-installed in configurations such as yours
    with either PowerDVD, WinDVD etc etc (regardless of the
    software house, if decoder is pre-installed, it allows playback
    of DVD's via compatible media players such as WMP)
    If not preinstalled, then read here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx
    Click the DVD decoder link. These ain't free but are the best.

    If you are reluctant to part with $10 for the required DVD decoder software,
    Then if you can identify the specific graphics card or graphics adapter and
    visit the home site for that model, you may find they supply a freeware
    DVD decoder for your specific model - Nvidia do for some models that
    are registered.
    Soundblaster, Mar 7, 2007
  6. pete

    McFly Guest

    Pete,

    I will agree with one of the posters here. If that optical drive in
    the new PC cannot recognize your data DVD, it's either broken or it
    only reads CDs. That optical drive should have a 'DVD' logo in the
    front...

    -fly-

    McFly, Mar 7, 2007
  7. pete

    pete Guest

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 11:43:38 +0900, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:

    >pete wrote:

    >>> Pete,
    >>>
    >>> If your talking about the player not being able to recognize DVD
    >>> movies, then googe Lalim DVD Player.

    >> No it is not a movie. It is a DVD full of still pictures and it worked
    >> OK on my old comuter but that was taken by the burglars and this new
    >> computer will not open the DVD. It will not work on an ordinary DVD
    >> player either even though it works on a computer if that gives a clue
    >> that I do not understand. Any ideas would be most welcome?

    >The obvious question then is whether the new computer has a DVD drive,
    >and not just a CD drive.

    A very good point. How do I tell if I have DVD and not only CD though?
    pete, Mar 7, 2007
  8. pete

    meerkat Guest

    "pete" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 11:43:38 +0900, Oldus Fartus
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>pete wrote:

    snipped
    >>The obvious question then is whether the new computer has a DVD drive,
    >>and not just a CD drive.

    > A very good point. How do I tell if I have DVD and not only CD though?

    DVD drives normal have DVD imprinted on the
    front face of the device.
    meerkat, Mar 7, 2007
  9. pete

    PeeCee Guest

    "pete" <> wrote in message
    > On 5 Mar 2007 18:10:35 -0800, "McFly" <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mar 5, 7:07 pm, pete <> wrote:
    >>> I have a new computer and a DVD has been given me to replace one I
    >>> lost. I have a DVD/CD tray on my computer and it works playing CD's
    >>> but I cannot get the DVD recognised. Is there some program I could
    >>> download that would enable me to get the information on the DVD?
    >>> pete

    >>Pete,
    >>
    >>If your talking about the player not being able to recognize DVD
    >>movies, then googe Lalim DVD Player.

    > No it is not a movie. It is a DVD full of still pictures and it worked
    > OK on my old comuter but that was taken by the burglars and this new
    > computer will not open the DVD. It will not work on an ordinary DVD
    > player either even though it works on a computer if that gives a clue
    > that I do not understand. Any ideas would be most welcome?
    > pete
    > www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk
    > www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk

    Pete

    As others have indicated, do check your optical drive is a DVD drive.
    However may I suggest you try the DVD in another DVD drive.
    I have seen cases where the DVD is readable in the drive that burnt it,
    while other (even new) drives struggle to read or even recognise it.

    best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 7, 2007
  10. pete

    pete Guest

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:17:50 GMT, "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >"pete" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 11:43:38 +0900, Oldus Fartus
    >> <> wrote:

    >snipped
    >>>The obvious question then is whether the new computer has a DVD drive,
    >>>and not just a CD drive.

    >> A very good point. How do I tell if I have DVD and not only CD though?
    >>

    >DVD drives normal have DVD imprinted on the
    >front face of the device.

    Problem solved but not resolved. I don't have a DVD set up after
    all:-( Thanks for everyones help with this.
    pete, Mar 7, 2007