    several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.

    Any idea about where I can find a good device?

    Thanks.
    abcd, Apr 12, 2005

  2. "abcd" <> wrote in
    news:425b94ca$:

    > I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living
    > room. The device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly
    > off a DVD-R (with several movies per DVD-R media in this case of
    > course), not just a CD-Rs.

    Philips DVP642K
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvp642

    (Or dvp630 which is more or less the same thing.)

    Mark
    Mark Cranness, Apr 12, 2005

  3. abcd

    grolschie Guest

    "Mark Cranness" <> wrote in message
    > "abcd" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living
    > > room. The device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly
    > > off a DVD-R (with several movies per DVD-R media in this case of
    > > course), not just a CD-Rs.

    > Philips DVP642K
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvp642
    >
    > (Or dvp630 which is more or less the same thing.)
    >
    > Mark

    I know a guy with a few of these. They floats his boat. Philips also
    release firmware for it, it would seem too.
    grol
    grolschie, Apr 12, 2005
  4. On 12 Apr 2005 11:05:13 GMT, Mark Cranness
    <> wrote:

    >"abcd" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living
    >> room. The device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly
    >> off a DVD-R (with several movies per DVD-R media in this case of
    >> course), not just a CD-Rs.

    >Philips DVP642K
    >http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvp642
    >
    >(Or dvp630 which is more or less the same thing.)
    >
    >Mark

    I have a DVP-642K/75 and while it does work, it is not the best unit
    in the world, but it was the only one that is readily available in New
    Zealand for a reasonable price at the time. I have had a number of
    problems with mine, including its first lock up requiring a power
    cycle last night. I am not very impressed by it, but it is fairly
    cheap.

    The problem I encounter most often is that if I push the next track
    button while in the middle of playing a track from a data DVD, when it
    starts to play the next track it will often stop after 1 second. If
    you push the system menu button twice (go into the menu and out again)
    it will then play normally, or if you use the fast forward buttons
    then push play.

    When you go backwards in some files, you can often wind up suddenly
    playing a loop of the last 1 or 2 seconds of the file. Only rarely
    does going backwards work correctly for more than a few seconds. This
    is on tracks from data disks - it does go backwards on authored DVDs.

    It does not play DivX files that have the optional QPEL or GMC
    options. The DivX spec does not require a unit to play such files,
    but they are becomming more common and some chipsets do play them, or
    at least the most common subset of them.

    It plays Xvid files, but fast forward, backwards and "go to" do not
    work at all on Xvid (they do work on DivX, sort of).

    It does not play any sound from AVI files that have PCM type audio
    tracks. It does play MP2, MP3 and AC3.

    The first one I got, I immediately tried to update its firmware and it
    crashed during the process, despite my having followed all the
    instructions from the Philips web site carefully. It was replaced
    under warrantee, and then I was told not to try updating the firmware
    again, by the Philips helpline and by L V Martins. Not good at all,
    since there are clear bugs in the firmware that might be fixed in a
    later version. L V Martins did say if I could bring it in and show
    them some bugs they might look at it for me, but I have not done that
    yet. I need to build a test DVD to demonstrate all the problems to
    them, but I have not found the time yet. I will have to before the
    warantee runs out.

    There is a Sony model available that plays DivX, but it only reads UDF
    formatted disks and I already had over 50 ISO formatted DVDs, so I
    could not use it. There might be a couple of other quite expensive
    models available here (Pioneer? Yamaha? Denon?).

    In Australia, there seems to be a quite nice cheap unit available,
    according to the reviews of it:

    http://www.zensonic.com/z330.php

    It uses a better chipset than the DVP-642K/75.

    And they are working on what looks like a very nice (but more
    expensive) unit, but it is not available for a couple of months yet:

    http://www.z500series.com
    Stephen Worthington, Apr 12, 2005
  5. abcd

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:31:01 +1200, "abcd" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
    >device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
    >several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.
    >
    >Any idea about where I can find a good device?
    >
    >Thanks.

    I use a Samsung DVD-V540 combo unit. No trouble with DivX playback.
    Don't know if they are still available though.
    GraB, Apr 12, 2005
  6. abcd

    abcd Guest

    > There is a Sony model available that plays DivX, but it only reads UDF
    > formatted disks and I already had over 50 ISO formatted DVDs, so I
    > could not use it. There might be a couple of other quite expensive
    > models available here (Pioneer? Yamaha? Denon?).
    >
    > In Australia, there seems to be a quite nice cheap unit available,
    > according to the reviews of it:
    >

    > http://www.zensonic.com/z330.php

    This one uses progressive scan technology. However I do need interlaced
    playback for DVD material (DVD encoded from DV footage).

    Does the Samsung support interlaced material (PAL 50fps, camcorder-like) or
    does it automatically turn that into progressive 25fps output?
    abcd, Apr 12, 2005
  7. abcd

    abcd Guest

    "abcd" <> wrote in message
    >> There is a Sony model available that plays DivX, but it only reads UDF
    >> formatted disks and I already had over 50 ISO formatted DVDs, so I
    >> could not use it. There might be a couple of other quite expensive
    >> models available here (Pioneer? Yamaha? Denon?).
    >>
    >> In Australia, there seems to be a quite nice cheap unit available,
    >> according to the reviews of it:
    >>

    >> http://www.zensonic.com/z330.php

    > This one uses progressive scan technology. However I do need interlaced
    > playback for DVD material (DVD encoded from DV footage).
    >
    > Does the Samsung support interlaced material (PAL 50fps, camcorder-like)
    > or does it automatically turn that into progressive 25fps output?

    Sorry not the Samsung, I mean your Philips model.
    abcd, Apr 12, 2005
  8. abcd

    grolschie Guest

    http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/webapp...10001&productId=43860&crumb=10003-10153-13401
    grolschie, Apr 12, 2005
  9. "abcd" <> wrote in

    >> This one uses progressive scan technology. However I do need
    >> interlaced playback for DVD material (DVD encoded from DV
    >> footage).
    >>
    >> Does the Samsung support interlaced material (PAL 50fps,
    >> camcorder-like) or does it automatically turn that into
    >> progressive 25fps output?

    > Sorry not the Samsung, I mean your Philips model.

    If you're asking if the Philips dvp642 supports interlaced, the
    answer is yes.

    It will only output progressive if the setup menu is set to output
    progressive, otherwise it outputs normal interlaced.

    (IIRC, the progressive output might not work with DivX anyway.)

    Although I'm happy with mine, I agree with Stephen Worthington
    comments.

    Mark
    Mark Cranness, Apr 12, 2005
  10. abcd

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:31:01 +1200, "abcd" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
    >device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
    >several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.
    >
    >Any idea about where I can find a good device?

    Why not store the files on your computer and use something like this

    There's another ozzie one that's wireless too, but I can't find the link at the
    moment.
    Craig Shore, Apr 13, 2005
  11. abcd

    Lukagain Guest

    >>I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
    >>device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
    >>several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.
    >>
    >>Any idea about where I can find a good device?

    If you do go for the Phillips, checkout its macrovision status if
    that's of any import to you. Some of the earlier firmwares didn't have
    it enabled. I haven't bothered trying to rollback my DVP640K/75, since
    it's not an issue for me.
    Can't say that the updated firmware did anything else worthy of
    mention.

    BTW, PBWellington have a Digitrex which could be worth checking out,
    Lukagain, Apr 13, 2005
  12. abcd

    shannon Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:31:01 +1200, "abcd" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
    >>device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
    >>several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.
    >>
    >>Any idea about where I can find a good device?

    > Why not store the files on your computer and use something like this
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=141562
    >
    > There's another ozzie one that's wireless too, but I can't find the link at the
    > moment.

    or this

    shannon, Apr 13, 2005
  13. abcd

    -=rjh=- Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:31:01 +1200, "abcd" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room.
    >>> The device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a
    >>> DVD-R (with several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course),
    >>> not just a CD-Rs.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea about where I can find a good device?

    >> Why not store the files on your computer and use something like this
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=141562
    >>
    >> There's another ozzie one that's wireless too, but I can't find the
    >> link at the
    >> moment.
    >>

    > or this
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=173253

    The major failing of both of these devices (IMHO of course) is that they
    both *require* Windows on the server to run. Why? I cannot see any
    technical reason why this should be necessary. Surely all they have to
    do is mount and browse a remote filesystem?

    Another issue with these devices (and this applies to almost any
    dedicated media device) is that while DivX might be the flavour of the
    month, what happens when a new format becomes popular? Firmware updates
    for these devices are unlikely. Then we have exactly the same situation
    that the OP has now, it just applies to a different device.

    cheers
    -=rjh=-, Apr 14, 2005
  14. abcd

    Chris Bailey Guest

    "abcd" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
    > device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
    > several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.
    >
    > Any idea about where I can find a good device?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have a Digitrex GK4000 home dvd player and it does all of the above
    including DivX. CD-R, CD-RW,
    DVD-R DVD-RW +R, -R, mpeg4, you name it, it plays it.
    I have had it for nearly a year now and it has performed flawlessly.
    I bought it from PB Technologies in Auckland but at the time Noel Leeming
    had it as well.
    It was around $250.00 or there abouts.

    Hope this helps, Chris
    Chris Bailey, Apr 14, 2005
  15. abcd

    Chris Bailey Guest

    "abcd" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
    > device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
    > several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.
    >
    > Any idea about where I can find a good device?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Here's a link to PB Tech in Wellington
    http://www.pbwellington.co.nz/c.aspx

    Auckland is www.pbtech.co.nz

    cheers, Chris
    Chris Bailey, Apr 14, 2005
  16. abcd

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:57:46 +1200, "Chris Bailey" <>
    wrote:

    >"abcd" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
    >> device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
    >> several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.
    >>
    >> Any idea about where I can find a good device?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >I have a Digitrex GK4000 home dvd player and it does all of the above
    >including DivX. CD-R, CD-RW,
    >DVD-R DVD-RW +R, -R, mpeg4, you name it, it plays it.
    >I have had it for nearly a year now and it has performed flawlessly.
    >I bought it from PB Technologies in Auckland but at the time Noel Leeming
    >had it as well.
    >It was around $250.00 or there abouts.
    >
    >Hope this helps, Chris

    Out of interest, can you zoom the DivX playback with the Digitrex?
    You can't with my Samsung player.
    GraB, Apr 14, 2005
  17. abcd

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:38:35 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:31:01 +1200, "abcd" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
    >>>device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
    >>>several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a CD-Rs.
    >>>
    >>>Any idea about where I can find a good device?

    >> Why not store the files on your computer and use something like this
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=141562
    >>
    >> There's another ozzie one that's wireless too, but I can't find the link at the
    >> moment.
    >>

    >or this
    >
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=173253

    The MVP doesn't do divx though does it?
    Craig Shore, Apr 15, 2005
  18. abcd

    shannon Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:52:16 +1200, Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:38:35 +1200, shannon <> wrote:
    >
    >>Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> Why not store the files on your computer and use something like this
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=141562
    >>>
    >>> There's another ozzie one that's wireless too, but I can't find the link at the
    >>> moment.
    >>>

    >>or this
    >>
    >>http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=173253

    > The MVP doesn't do divx though does it?

    It does now.
    shannon, Apr 15, 2005
  19. abcd

    Chris Bailey Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:57:46 +1200, "Chris Bailey" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"abcd" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for a DVD player with DivX support for the living room. The
    >>> device should be able to read DivX AVI movies directly off a DVD-R (with
    >>> several movies per DVD-R media in this case of course), not just a
    >>> CD-Rs.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea about where I can find a good device?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >>I have a Digitrex GK4000 home dvd player and it does all of the above
    >>including DivX. CD-R, CD-RW,
    >>DVD-R DVD-RW +R, -R, mpeg4, you name it, it plays it.
    >>I have had it for nearly a year now and it has performed flawlessly.
    >>I bought it from PB Technologies in Auckland but at the time Noel Leeming
    >>had it as well.
    >>It was around $250.00 or there abouts.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps, Chris
    >>

    > Out of interest, can you zoom the DivX playback with the Digitrex?
    > You can't with my Samsung player.

    Yup, just went and rechecked with a divx movie and it zooms fine.
    Chris Bailey, Apr 15, 2005
  20. abcd

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:06:55 +1200, "Chris Bailey" <>
    wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:57:46 +1200, "Chris Bailey" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"abcd" <> wrote in message

    >>>I have a Digitrex GK4000 home dvd player and it does all of the above
    >>>including DivX. CD-R, CD-RW,
    >>>DVD-R DVD-RW +R, -R, mpeg4, you name it, it plays it.
    >>>I have had it for nearly a year now and it has performed flawlessly.
    >>>I bought it from PB Technologies in Auckland but at the time Noel Leeming
    >>>had it as well.
    >>>It was around $250.00 or there abouts.
    >>>
    >>>Hope this helps, Chris
    >>>

    >> Out of interest, can you zoom the DivX playback with the Digitrex?
    >> You can't with my Samsung player.

    >Yup, just went and rechecked with a divx movie and it zooms fine.

    Nice. DivX works well for fullscreen movies, indistinguishable from
    the original DVD when viewed on TV. But I hate those ultra widescreen
    DVDs on TV and usually zoom in one level, but can't with DivX.
    GraB, Apr 15, 2005