    We put a DVD in it that a friend made, and it plays just fine. Exploring
    the disks reveals audio_ts and video_ts folders. Do I just copy those
    folders to the hard drive to run the DVD from HD?
    mcp6453, Jul 27, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Jerry G. Guest

    In the spec list for your drive, does it indicate that the drive will write
    a DVD+R? Not all the drives will write all the types of available systems,
    but most will play everything back.

    --

    Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
    ==========================

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    I really don't understand DVD drive installations. I just installed a
    LF-D311 drive into a Windows XP Home machine. The drivers were found at
    http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/dvdram/prods/specs/d311.htm.
    According to the specifications, it will read and write DVD-RAM and
    DVD-R. When I put a DVD-R disc in it, the driver software (written in
    Jenglish) says that I have the wrong type of disc. We don't have a
    DVD-RAM disk to try. It does NOT do DVD+R.

    Is there a software driver or application missing that allows writing
    DVD-R disks? If anyone has a web site or suggestions, I would love to
    hear about them.

    Jerry G., Jul 27, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Michael-NC Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > I really don't understand DVD drive installations. I just installed a
    > LF-D311 drive into a Windows XP Home machine. The drivers were found at

    http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/dvdram/prods/specs/d311.htm.

    You shouldn't need any driver.

    > According to the specifications, it will read and write DVD-RAM and
    > DVD-R. When I put a DVD-R disc in it, the driver software (written in
    > Jenglish) says that I have the wrong type of disc. We don't have a
    > DVD-RAM disk to try. It does NOT do DVD+R.

    Not all media is compatible with every drive. The Manufacturer will always
    list compatible media of a particular drive on it's website. You should be
    using an application to write to the drive, whether it was supplied by the
    manufacturer or an off the shelf product such as Nero.

    > Is there a software driver or application missing that allows writing
    > DVD-R disks? If anyone has a web site or suggestions, I would love to
    > hear about them.
    >
    > We put a DVD in it that a friend made, and it plays just fine. Exploring
    > the disks reveals audio_ts and video_ts folders. Do I just copy those
    > folders to the hard drive to run the DVD from HD?

    No, you should be able to play the disc with Windows Media Player or any
    other media player. Here's a short list of them:

    http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Media_Players.htm

    I'd suggest sticking with WMP. If you bought a retail drive, it usually
    comes with both writing and player applications.
    Michael-NC, Jul 28, 2004