    pressing processing, along the lines of gamma correction or something?

    --
    ..sigzip*
    mimus, Feb 25, 2005

  2. mimus

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "mimus" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Another question: I've noticed that movies played on my DVD player
    > are generally darker than when they are shown on television.
    >
    > If there's a known problem there, why isn't it taken care of in pre-
    > pressing processing, along the lines of gamma correction or something?

    The problem isn't that DVDs are too dark, but that broadcast TV is too
    bright.

    Buy a calibration DVD like Avia or Digital Video Essentials. Buy it
    today.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 25, 2005

  3. mimus

    mimus Guest

    ?

    >Buy a calibration DVD like Avia or Digital Video Essentials. Buy it
    >today.

    What the Hell would that do? I doubt I can recalibrate either the
    player or the TV station, so I would just fiddle with the brightness
    on the TV itself? And wouldn't that make the DVDs play even darker?

    (Sorry if this sounds moronic, I'm just not a radio/ TV/ media- player
    kinda guy, although I'm big on file formats.)

    --
    ..sigzip*
    mimus, Feb 25, 2005
  4. mimus

    Biz Guest

    Adjust your tv for best dvd playback, and reduce the brightness when
    watching broadcast tv. In my situation, my sat receiver is plugged into a
    different input, so I have that input setup for watching tv, while my
    component input is calibrated for dvd watching. If you dont want to adjust
    your tv to accomodate broadcast and dvd, quit bitching about it...

    Biz, Feb 25, 2005
  5. mimus

    mimus Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:09:47 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >If you dont want to adjust
    >your tv to accomodate broadcast and dvd, quit bitching about it...

    So, basically, you're saying that you treat brightness about the same
    as sound volume, although hardly as conveniently dealt with (I don't
    even know if my TV has a conveniently- placed brightness control, and
    hardly wish to dig into the back/ its innards to do so-- besides, such
    controls, potentiometers usually, once they've sat in a given position
    for years, are notoriously wonky once you start fooling with 'em).

    As for "bitching", since DVDs are *meant to be played through TV
    sets*, the *same as broadcast television*, it seems to me that
    someone's dropped the ball a bit here, and it's hardly the hapless
    viewer.

    --
    ..sigzip*
    mimus, Feb 25, 2005
  6. mimus

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:55:59 GMT, (mimus)
    wrote:

    >So, basically, you're saying that you treat brightness about the same
    >as sound volume, although hardly as conveniently dealt with (I don't
    >even know if my TV has a conveniently- placed brightness control, and
    >hardly wish to dig into the back/ its innards to do so-- besides, such
    >controls, potentiometers usually, once they've sat in a given position
    >for years, are notoriously wonky once you start fooling with 'em).

    Most TVs today can be adjusted with the remote.

    The output from many DVD players can also be adjusted. At the very
    least there should be an option for Lighter vs. Darker.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Feb 25, 2005
  7. mimus

    theyak Guest

    In article <>, tinmimus99
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Another question: I've noticed that movies played on my DVD player
    > are generally darker than when they are shown on television.
    >
    > If there's a known problem there, why isn't it taken care of in pre-
    > pressing processing, along the lines of gamma correction or something?
    >
    > --
    > .sigzip*

    Are you running your dvd player through your vcr? If so, macrovision may
    be an issue.
    theyak, Feb 25, 2005
  8. mimus

    Bondo Guest

    Some TVs have multiple settings for video controls. I know that my Sony
    Wega does. In such a case you can calibrate one group for dvd and one for
    tv.

    Bondo, Feb 25, 2005
  9. mimus

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "mimus" <> wrote in message
    > So, basically, you're saying that you treat brightness about the same
    > as sound volume, although hardly as conveniently dealt with (I don't
    > even know if my TV has a conveniently- placed brightness control, and
    > hardly wish to dig into the back/ its innards to do so-- besides, such
    > controls, potentiometers usually, once they've sat in a given position
    > for years, are notoriously wonky once you start fooling with 'em).

    Not to sound too bitchy, but if your TV's brightness and contrast
    controls are the type you adjust by physically turning a dial on the set
    itself, you should consider buying a TV made in the last 2 decades.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 26, 2005
  10. mimus

    mimus Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:14:34 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"mimus" <> wrote in message
    >> So, basically, you're saying that you treat brightness about the same
    >> as sound volume, although hardly as conveniently dealt with (I don't
    >> even know if my TV has a conveniently- placed brightness control, and
    >> hardly wish to dig into the back/ its innards to do so-- besides, such
    >> controls, potentiometers usually, once they've sat in a given position
    >> for years, are notoriously wonky once you start fooling with 'em).

    >Not to sound too bitchy, but if your TV's brightness and contrast
    >controls are the type you adjust by physically turning a dial on the set
    >itself, you should consider buying a TV made in the last 2 decades.

    I was referring to the internal controls usually found in the back of
    a set, but, yes, I thought there'd be one externally somewhere
    (perhaps behind a panel), but there doesn't seem to be one, and there
    doesn't seem to be any other control for it either, either on the set
    itself or the remote, or any menu appurtenant thereunto either.

    I shall continue investigating.

    --
    ..sigzip*
    mimus, Feb 26, 2005
  11. mimus

    Nick Guest

    I've noticed this especially with the Star Wars trilogy, that's the only one
    that makes me adjust it.

    Nick, Feb 26, 2005
  12. mimus

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "mimus" <> wrote in message
    >>Not to sound too bitchy, but if your TV's brightness and contrast
    >>controls are the type you adjust by physically turning a dial on the
    >>set
    >>itself, you should consider buying a TV made in the last 2 decades.

    > I was referring to the internal controls usually found in the back of
    > a set, but, yes, I thought there'd be one externally somewhere
    > (perhaps behind a panel), but there doesn't seem to be one, and there
    > doesn't seem to be any other control for it either, either on the set
    > itself or the remote, or any menu appurtenant thereunto either.

    How old is the TV? Did you have to buy an RF-modulator to connect the
    DVD player to it?
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 26, 2005
  13. mimus

    Justin Guest

    mimus wrote on [Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:23:44 GMT]:
    > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:14:34 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"mimus" <> wrote in message
    >>> So, basically, you're saying that you treat brightness about the same
    >>> as sound volume, although hardly as conveniently dealt with (I don't
    >>> even know if my TV has a conveniently- placed brightness control, and
    >>> hardly wish to dig into the back/ its innards to do so-- besides, such
    >>> controls, potentiometers usually, once they've sat in a given position
    >>> for years, are notoriously wonky once you start fooling with 'em).

    >>Not to sound too bitchy, but if your TV's brightness and contrast
    >>controls are the type you adjust by physically turning a dial on the set
    >>itself, you should consider buying a TV made in the last 2 decades.

    > I was referring to the internal controls usually found in the back of
    > a set, but, yes, I thought there'd be one externally somewhere
    > (perhaps behind a panel), but there doesn't seem to be one, and there
    > doesn't seem to be any other control for it either, either on the set
    > itself or the remote, or any menu appurtenant thereunto either.
    >
    > I shall continue investigating.

    Does the remote have a setup menu? Or just channels?
    Justin, Feb 26, 2005
  14. mimus

    mimus Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:11:00 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >mimus wrote on [Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:23:44 GMT]:
    >> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:14:34 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"mimus" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>Not to sound too bitchy, but if your TV's brightness and contrast
    >>>controls are the type you adjust by physically turning a dial on the set
    >>>itself, you should consider buying a TV made in the last 2 decades.

    >> I was referring to the internal controls usually found in the back of
    >> a set, but, yes, I thought there'd be one externally somewhere
    >> (perhaps behind a panel), but there doesn't seem to be one, and there
    >> doesn't seem to be any other control for it either, either on the set
    >> itself or the remote, or any menu appurtenant thereunto either.
    >>
    >> I shall continue investigating.

    >Does the remote have a setup menu? Or just channels?

    Found it, press menu, then click over to manual, then press menu
    again, then click down through settings.

    HA

    Still sucks, though.

    --
    ..sigzip*
    mimus, Feb 26, 2005
  15. mimus

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 27, 2005
  16. mimus

    mimus Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:20:11 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"mimus" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Found it, press menu, then click over to manual, then press menu
    >> again, then click down through settings.
    >>
    >> HA
    >>
    >> Still sucks, though.

    >Buy a calibration DVD. Buy it today. Digital Video Essentials or the
    >Sound & Vision Tune-Up each cost less than $20. There is no excuse not
    >to own one.

    Sure there is, I'm cheap.

    --
    ..sigzip*
    mimus, Feb 27, 2005
  17. mimus

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "mimus" <> wrote in message
    >>Buy a calibration DVD. Buy it today. Digital Video Essentials or the
    >>Sound & Vision Tune-Up each cost less than $20. There is no excuse not
    >>to own one.

    > Sure there is, I'm cheap.

    Did you miss the part where I said they cost less than $20?

    If you're really that extremely cheap, then you're just going to have to
    resign yourself to the fact that your DVD picture quality is going to
    suck until you decide to take a few easy steps and do something about
    it.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 27, 2005
  18. mimus

    Guest

    >What the Hell would that do? I doubt I can recalibrate either the
    >player or the TV station, so I would just fiddle with the brightness
    >on the TV itself? And wouldn't that make the DVDs play even darker?

    >(Sorry if this sounds moronic, I'm just not a radio/ TV/ media- player

    >kinda guy, although I'm big on file formats.)

    If you don't want to sound moronic, try not being a moron.
    , Feb 27, 2005
  19. mimus

    Guest

    >What the Hell would that do? I doubt I can recalibrate either the
    >player or the TV station, so I would just fiddle with the brightness
    >on the TV itself? And wouldn't that make the DVDs play even darker?

    >(Sorry if this sounds moronic, I'm just not a radio/ TV/ media- player

    >kinda guy, although I'm big on file formats.)

    If you don't want to sound moronic, try not being a moron.
    , Feb 27, 2005
  20. mimus

    Guest