    Shrink.

    thanks

    Marc
    Mr. Smith, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Mr. Smith

    Frohike Guest

    "Mr. Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:MiVXc.104255$TI1.25850@attbi_s52...
    > I copied some DVDs and sent them to a friend in Japan. She says she can't
    > play them. They play fine here. It should not be region coding; the DVD
    > copying process I use both decrypts the DVDs and is supposed to render the
    > copy region-free. Is there some other reason why a DVD made on US

    equipment
    > wouldn't play on a Japanese DVD player? (actually, it is a DVD drive in a
    > computer, not a stand-alone player).
    >
    > The DVDs were copied decrypted using DVD Decrypter and compressed using

    DVD
    > Shrink.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Marc

    What version Decrypter and Shrink? Have you tried a different brand of
    media? Ever tried Nero? My Philips media won't play on my sister's Panasonic
    and my brother's Sony Vaio. Verbatims and Fujifilm play on everything I've
    thrown them into. I use Shrink 3.1.7.6 and Nero 6.3.1.6 right now and this
    combo is rock solid.
    Frohike, Aug 28, 2004

  3. Mr. Smith

    Mr. Smith Guest

    "Frohike" <> wrote in message
    > "Mr. Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> I copied some DVDs and sent them to a friend in Japan. She says she can't
    >> play them. They play fine here. It should not be region coding; the DVD
    >> copying process I use both decrypts the DVDs and is supposed to render
    >> the
    >> copy region-free. Is there some other reason why a DVD made on US

    > equipment
    >> wouldn't play on a Japanese DVD player? (actually, it is a DVD drive in a
    >> computer, not a stand-alone player).
    >>
    >> The DVDs were copied decrypted using DVD Decrypter and compressed using

    > DVD
    >> Shrink.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> Marc

    > What version Decrypter and Shrink? Have you tried a different brand of
    > media? Ever tried Nero? My Philips media won't play on my sister's
    > Panasonic
    > and my brother's Sony Vaio. Verbatims and Fujifilm play on everything I've
    > thrown them into. I use Shrink 3.1.7.6 and Nero 6.3.1.6 right now and this
    > combo is rock solid.

    My understanding is that Shrink utilizes Nero in the burning process. I have
    Shrink 3.2 (ha!) and Nero 5.5 (damn!) and Decrypter 3.2.3.0 (.......). I
    used DVD+R blank discs manufactured by TDK. They were plastic and shiny.
    Beyond that I am not sure. My friend in Japan is going to check to see if
    the discs can be played on any other machine. Perhaps her computer DVD
    player is lame (?). I played them here on two different DVD players.
    Mr. Smith, Aug 28, 2004
  4. Mr. Smith

    luminos Guest

    Japan is not US NTSC.

    luminos, Aug 28, 2004
  5. Mr. Smith

    luminos Guest

    I mean it is NTSC but not US.

    luminos, Aug 28, 2004
  6. Mr. Smith

    Mr. Smith Guest

    No, both US and Japan use NTSC. For example, it is no problem to videotape a
    program in Japan and view it on any US video player.

    DVD region codes are different, but these DVDs were copied to be region-free
    (code 0).

    Mr. Smith, Aug 28, 2004
  7. Mr. Smith

    Raj Feridun Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:29:08 GMT, "Mr. Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >No, both US and Japan use NTSC. For example, it is no problem to videotape a
    >program in Japan and view it on any US video player.

    >DVD region codes are different, but these DVDs were copied to be region-free
    >(code 0).

    Correct, and you should not have any problems playing the DVDs made as
    you described on a DVD player here in Japan.

    I'd suspect the player your friend is using. Different players have
    problems reading certain media types and makes. There is a very good
    list of players/disc compatibilities at http://www.videohelp.com/
    under DVD Players.

    Raj
    Raj Feridun, Aug 28, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    "luminos" <> wrote:

    > I mean it is NTSC but not US.

    ???
    Urra Dipschitt, Aug 28, 2004
  9. Mr. Smith

    Mr. Smith Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message
    >I mean it is NTSC but not US.

    ???
    Mr. Smith, Aug 28, 2004
  10. Mr. Smith

    Mr. Smith Guest

    "Raj Feridun" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:29:08 GMT, "Mr. Smith" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>No, both US and Japan use NTSC. For example, it is no problem to videotape
    >>program in Japan and view it on any US video player.

    >>DVD region codes are different, but these DVDs were copied to be
    >>region-free
    >>(code 0).

    > Correct, and you should not have any problems playing the DVDs made as
    > you described on a DVD player here in Japan.
    >
    > I'd suspect the player your friend is using. Different players have
    > problems reading certain media types and makes. There is a very good
    > list of players/disc compatibilities at http://www.videohelp.com/
    > under DVD Players.

    Great site, thanks. I will find out the exact model DVD drive she has in her
    computer. Maybe this will help me figure it out.
    Mr. Smith, Aug 28, 2004
  11. Mr. Smith

    Mr. Smith Guest

    OK, I got the specs on the DVD drive. It is a Toshiba SDR2102. According to
    the manufacturer's specs it is:

    DVD-ROM (DVD-5, DVD-9, DVD-10, DVD-18), DVD-R (read), CPRM
    non-correspondence

    The DVD I made is DVD-5, disc type is DVD+R. Should I assume from the above
    that the Toshiba player can read DVD-R only? (its not clear to me why the
    specs say DVD-ROM and then DVD-R)

    The CPRM non-correspondance thing: this is a code written into to the disc
    itself that cannot be copied. But I assume the de-encrypting software
    (DVDdecrypt) removes the corresponding key, so that the disc ends up looking
    like it is not copy-protected.

    ?

    Marc
    Mr. Smith, Aug 28, 2004
  12. Mr. Smith

    Biz Guest

    The version of NTSC is different in Japan and the North America. One uses a
    carrier frequency of 3.58MNz, and the other uses 4.43MHz, or something like
    that. If you are interested I'm sure a smart guy like you could google it
    and get the exact info. Of course none of that should matter if the
    playback is on a PC to the PC monitor. What player software is she using,
    what dvd rom drive is she using, what OS?

    Biz, Aug 28, 2004
  13. Mr. Smith

    Biz Guest

    "Mr. Smith" <> wrote in message
    > OK, I got the specs on the DVD drive. It is a Toshiba SDR2102. According

    > the manufacturer's specs it is:
    >

    > DVD-ROM (DVD-5, DVD-9, DVD-10, DVD-18), DVD-R (read), CPRM
    > non-correspondence
    >

    > The DVD I made is DVD-5, disc type is DVD+R. Should I assume from the

    above
    > that the Toshiba player can read DVD-R only? (its not clear to me why the
    > specs say DVD-ROM and then DVD-R)

    DVD-ROM discs are all pressed media, whereas DVD-R are obviously burned, and
    if it only claims to support -R media, there is a good chance it will not
    read +R media.
    Biz, Aug 28, 2004
  14. On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:10:57 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >The version of NTSC is different in Japan and the North America. One uses a
    >carrier frequency of 3.58MNz, and the other uses 4.43MHz, or something like
    >that. If you are interested I'm sure a smart guy like you could google it
    >and get the exact info. Of course none of that should matter if the
    >playback is on a PC to the PC monitor. What player software is she using,
    >what dvd rom drive is she using, what OS?

    Japan and the US both use the same 3.58 Mhz chroma carrier. Thewe is
    onoy one difference between the two. North American NTSC has a setup
    level of 7.5, blacks bottom out 7.5 IRE above blanking, Japan uses 0
    IRE setup, meaning blacks on a Japanese program will be darker. The
    latter setup value is the same as the PAL setup standard and that used
    on format-standard DVcam. The two are completely compatible except
    for that variation.

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 28, 2004
  15. Mr. Smith

    Biz Guest

    My bad, I was confusing it with this info here..

    http://freespace.virgin.net/matt.waite/resource/tvstandards/
    A quick note on NTSC 4.43 (525 lines, 60 fields, 15.734KHz line, Sub-Carrier
    4.43MHz)

    This isn't really a standard at all, though it does crop up occasionally.
    Inexpensive VHS and DVD players which claim 'NTSC playback on a PAL TV'
    often output NTSC 4.43. They do not perform a standards conversion as such,
    but merley convert the colour information to something which resembles
    4.43MHz PAL. The line and field rates are not modified at all, leaving it it
    up to the timebase of the downsteam equipment to lock up (hopefully!). On
    some sets this works well, on others an assortment of squashed looking
    pictures may result.

    Biz, Aug 28, 2004
  16. Mr. Smith

    Bryce Guest

    Bad bad boy.
    Bryce, Aug 30, 2004
  17. "Mr. Smith" <> wrote in message
    > OK, I got the specs on the DVD drive. It is a Toshiba SDR2102. According

    > the manufacturer's specs it is:

    Many Toshiba drives were deliberately rigged to identify, and refuse to
    play, DVD+R and DVD+RW media. This occured while there was a difference of
    opinion between Philips and Toshiba (and this is the reason the '+' media
    does not bear the normal DVD logo). By doing this Toshiba were able to
    claim that the '+' system was not fully compatible with the '-' system.

    I believe this is no longer the case as Toshiba did themselves more harm
    than good as a consumer boycott got under way.

    Ian.
    Electric Fan Club, Aug 31, 2004