    I bought a DVD writer yesterday & tried to back up some of my dvd movies.

    I haven't been able to back up any due to copy protection on the discs. Is
    there a program which will allow me to copy my movies?

    HandyAndy, Jul 4, 2004

  2. HandyAndy

    Ionizer Guest

    "HandyAndy" <> wrote in message
    news:40e7e96b$0$6449$...
    > I bought a DVD writer yesterday & tried to back up some of my dvd

    movies.

    > I haven't been able to back up any due to copy protection on the discs.

    Is
    > there a program which will allow me to copy my movies?

    Use the freeware DVD Decrypter: http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

    Or DVD Shrink: http://www.dvdshrink.org/

    Read the guides and tutorials here for everything you need to know:
    http://www.videohelp.com/

    My preferred method is to use DVD Decrypter to rip the movie, and then use
    DVD Shrink to compress and burn dual-layer DVDs to DVDR media. If you
    have a single-layer DVD, you can rip the movie with Decrypter as an ISO
    image, and then use Decrypter to burn that image to DVDR.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jul 4, 2004

  3. HandyAndy

    HandyAndy Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > "HandyAndy" <> wrote in message
    > > I bought a DVD writer yesterday & tried to back up some of my dvd

    > movies.
    > >
    > > I haven't been able to back up any due to copy protection on the discs.

    > Is
    > > there a program which will allow me to copy my movies?

    > Use the freeware DVD Decrypter: http://www.dvddecrypter.com/
    >
    > Or DVD Shrink: http://www.dvdshrink.org/
    >
    > Read the guides and tutorials here for everything you need to know:
    > http://www.videohelp.com/
    >
    > My preferred method is to use DVD Decrypter to rip the movie, and then use
    > DVD Shrink to compress and burn dual-layer DVDs to DVDR media. If you
    > have a single-layer DVD, you can rip the movie with Decrypter as an ISO
    > image, and then use Decrypter to burn that image to DVDR.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    Thanks Ian, your reply is much appreciated.
    Cheers.Andy.

    HandyAndy, Jul 5, 2004
  4. HandyAndy

    Jim Guest

    DVD shrink does everything. Its a one stop shop. Rips compreses and removes
    protection. You can also just remove the film if you dont want all the crap
    that goes along with it.

    Jim, Jul 29, 2004
  5. or you might also try SmartRipper 2.4.1 - it is also freeware; and, it
    removes Macrovision protection while also removing
    Region protection (i.e., region 1 = North America") so you can make
    Region-Free DVDs

    also, there are many knowledgeable articles on various DVD issues at
    Digital-Digest

    they are located here:

    http://www.digital-digest.com

    and there should be articles as well as download-links for SmartRipper and
    other freeware, etc.

    enjoy };-)

    Artless Malefactor, Jul 29, 2004
  6. HandyAndy

    Timberwolf Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > DVD shrink does everything. Its a one stop shop. Rips compreses and

    removes
    > protection. You can also just remove the film if you dont want all the

    crap
    > that goes along with it.
    >

    > "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > > "HandyAndy" <> wrote in message
    > > > I bought a DVD writer yesterday & tried to back up some of my dvd

    > > movies.
    > > >
    > > > I haven't been able to back up any due to copy protection on the

    discs.
    > > Is
    > > > there a program which will allow me to copy my movies?

    > > Use the freeware DVD Decrypter: http://www.dvddecrypter.com/
    > >
    > > Or DVD Shrink: http://www.dvdshrink.org/
    > >
    > > Read the guides and tutorials here for everything you need to know:
    > > http://www.videohelp.com/
    > >
    > > My preferred method is to use DVD Decrypter to rip the movie, and then

    use
    > > DVD Shrink to compress and burn dual-layer DVDs to DVDR media. If you
    > > have a single-layer DVD, you can rip the movie with Decrypter as an ISO
    > > image, and then use Decrypter to burn that image to DVDR.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Ian.

    not that i condone dvd copy
    but should it be for personal use i would recommend you track down
    clone dvd
    any dvd
    you need to run both at the same time apparently

    Timberwolf, Jul 29, 2004