DVD copy company killed by Hollywood studios

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Modemac, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Modemac

    Modemac Guest

    321studios.com made some headlines last year by striking first in
    court against the major Hollywood studios before they came after it.
    The move didn't work.

    Source: Internet Movie Database

    ?321 Studios, the company that sold software allowing users to make
    copies of DVDs and video games, shut its doors Tuesday, saying that
    injunctions obtained by the major studios against the distribution of
    its software had caused its collapse. A statement posted on its
    website states: 'Thank you for visiting 321 Studios. 321 Studios
    regrets to inform you that it has ceased business operations
    including, but not limited to, the sale, support and promotion of our
    products. Despite 321 Studios' best efforts to remain in business,
    injunctions entered against 321 Studios by three US Federal courts
    earlier this year has resulted in 321 Studios no longer being able to
    continue operating the business.'"

    Modemac, Aug 5, 2004

  2. "Modemac" <> wrote in message
    > 321studios.com made some headlines last year by striking first in
    > court against the major Hollywood studios before they came after it.
    > The move didn't work.

    AUG. 3 | The countdown has reached zero.

    St. Louis-based 321 Studios, marketers of the controversial DVD X Copy
    and Games X Copy software, has apparently shut its doors for good.

    According to a statement on its web site, the company has ceased all
    operations, including the sale, support and promotion of its products.

    It blamed the shutdown on a series of lawsuits dealt to the company by
    the studios and game makers, which had charged 321 with copyright
    violations under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

    "Despite 321 Studios' best efforts to remain in business, injunctions
    entered against 321 Studios by three U.S. Federal courts earlier this
    year has resulted in 321 Studios no longer being able to continue
    operating the business," the statement says.

    The latest blow came July 29, when a federal district court in New York
    issued an injunction against the company barring it from selling or
    distributing Games X Copy.

    The ruling came from the same court that had previously enjoined 321
    from selling DVD X Copy. A federal court in San Francisco also ruled
    against the company earlier this year.

    "We are extremely pleased that 321 Studios agreed to stop manufacturing
    and distributing its game-cracking software," Entertainment Software
    Assn. president Doug Lowenstein said in a statement. "The technology
    used by 321 Studios clearly violated the protection that game publishers
    enjoy under the DMCA and we are optimistic that the final outcome of
    this case will reflect that."

    Officials from 321 could not be reached for comment. In June, the
    company warned customers that it might be forced to file for bankruptcy
    due to mounting legal bills.

    Like the studios before them, the game publishers charged that Games X
    Copy violated the DMCA's ban on technology used to circumvent encryption
    codes on copyrighted works.

    At the time, 321 officials claimed the software simply made a bit-to-bit
    copy of a game disc without having to circumvent the encryption.

    "Basically we'll never know if Games X Copy is legal, because the
    company simply ran out of money to defend itself," said Fred von
    Lohmann, senior attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

    The foundation had supported 321 in its battle with copyright owners.

    http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=8362&catType=NEWS

    One-Shot Scot, Aug 5, 2004

    http://www.burnworld.com/software/dvdburning/321studios/games-x-copy.htm
    http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm
    http://www.burnworld.com/software/cdrburning/blindsuite/blindsuite.htm

    --
    Sir Baldin Pramer, R.P.I.A.

    Baldin Pramer, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Modemac

    Jeff Spicoli Guest

    Baldin Pramer wrote:
    > One-Shot Scot wrote:
    >
    >> "Modemac" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> 321studios.com made some headlines last year by striking first in
    >>> court against the major Hollywood studios before they came after it.
    >>> The move didn't work.

    >> AUG. 3 | The countdown has reached zero.
    >>
    >> St. Louis-based 321 Studios, marketers of the controversial DVD X Copy
    >> and Games X Copy software, has apparently shut its doors for good.
    >>
    >> According to a statement on its web site, the company has ceased all
    >> operations, including the sale, support and promotion of its products.
    >>
    >> It blamed the shutdown on a series of lawsuits dealt to the company by
    >> the studios and game makers, which had charged 321 with copyright
    >> violations under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
    >>
    >> "Despite 321 Studios' best efforts to remain in business, injunctions
    >> entered against 321 Studios by three U.S. Federal courts earlier this
    >> year has resulted in 321 Studios no longer being able to continue
    >> operating the business," the statement says.
    >>
    >> The latest blow came July 29, when a federal district court in New York
    >> issued an injunction against the company barring it from selling or
    >> distributing Games X Copy.
    >>
    >> The ruling came from the same court that had previously enjoined 321
    >> from selling DVD X Copy. A federal court in San Francisco also ruled
    >> against the company earlier this year.
    >>
    >> "We are extremely pleased that 321 Studios agreed to stop manufacturing
    >> and distributing its game-cracking software," Entertainment Software
    >> Assn. president Doug Lowenstein said in a statement. "The technology
    >> used by 321 Studios clearly violated the protection that game publishers
    >> enjoy under the DMCA and we are optimistic that the final outcome of
    >> this case will reflect that."
    >>
    >> Officials from 321 could not be reached for comment. In June, the
    >> company warned customers that it might be forced to file for bankruptcy
    >> due to mounting legal bills.
    >>
    >> Like the studios before them, the game publishers charged that Games X
    >> Copy violated the DMCA's ban on technology used to circumvent encryption
    >> codes on copyrighted works.
    >>
    >> At the time, 321 officials claimed the software simply made a bit-to-bit
    >> copy of a game disc without having to circumvent the encryption.
    >>
    >> "Basically we'll never know if Games X Copy is legal, because the
    >> company simply ran out of money to defend itself," said Fred von
    >> Lohmann, senior attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
    >>
    >> The foundation had supported 321 in its battle with copyright owners.
    >>

    >> http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=8362&catType=NEWS

    > http://www.burnworld.com/software/dvdburning/321studios/games-x-copy.htm
    > http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm
    > http://www.burnworld.com/software/cdrburning/blindsuite/blindsuite.htm

    What, no links for OSX?

    Jeff Spicoli, Aug 5, 2004
  5. Rev. Lee Austin, Aug 5, 2004
  6. Modemac

    Zimmy Guest

    I was never a fan of 321 Studios. They grossly overcharged on their
    products so they could afford litigation.
    I would have purchased most of their products if they charged what they were
    worth.
    When a company charges $120 for a $30 program, well, good riddance.

    If 321 wanted to get the last laugh against the movie and game companies,
    they could release this pin from the grenade they are holding as the
    companies come to pick their bones:

    Release all of their programs for free over the internet. No keys, no
    activation, everything, open sourced, etc.

    I was hoping Bleem (remember them?) would have done the same thing.
    Why they didn't, I'll never know.

    Zimmy, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Modemac

    Zapanas Guest

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:34:58 -0400, "Zimmy" <> wrote:

    >I was never a fan of 321 Studios. They grossly overcharged on their
    >products so they could afford litigation.
    >I would have purchased most of their products if they charged what they were
    >worth.
    >When a company charges $120 for a $30 program, well, good riddance.
    >
    >If 321 wanted to get the last laugh against the movie and game companies,
    >they could release this pin from the grenade they are holding as the
    >companies come to pick their bones:
    >
    >Release all of their programs for free over the internet. No keys, no
    >activation, everything, open sourced, etc.
    >
    >I was hoping Bleem (remember them?) would have done the same thing.
    >Why they didn't, I'll never know.

    Well they might have been a little concerned over the possibility of a
    lengthy prison term.

    >"Modemac" <> wrote in message
    >> 321studios.com made some headlines last year by striking first in
    >> court against the major Hollywood studios before they came after it.
    >> The move didn't work.
    >>
    >> Source: Internet Movie Database

    --
    Zapanas
    Grand Master of the Satanic Conspiracy
    http://joecosby.com/
    KEVIN BACON IS EVERYWHERE! THERE IS NO ESCAPE! WE MUST ESCAPE FROM
    KEVIN BACON!

    Zapanas, Aug 5, 2004
  8. Zapanas wrote:

    > On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:34:58 -0400, "Zimmy" <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >>If 321 wanted to get the last laugh against the movie and game companies,
    >>they could release this pin from the grenade they are holding as the
    >>companies come to pick their bones:
    >>
    >>Release all of their programs for free over the internet. No keys, no
    >>activation, everything, open sourced, etc.
    >>
    >>I was hoping Bleem (remember them?) would have done the same thing.
    >>Why they didn't, I'll never know.

    > Well they might have been a little concerned over the possibility of a
    > lengthy prison term.

    It's really, really hard to prove where a "leak" came from.

    Cardinal Vertigo, Aug 5, 2004
  9. Modemac

    Mike Kohary Guest

    One-Shot Scot wrote:

    > AUG. 3 | The countdown has reached zero.
    >
    > St. Louis-based 321 Studios, marketers of the controversial DVD X Copy
    > and Games X Copy software, has apparently shut its doors for good.

    The bullies win.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Aug 6, 2004
  10. Modemac

    Ronald Cole Guest

    (Modemac) writes:
    > 321studios.com made some headlines last year by striking first in
    > court against the major Hollywood studios before they came after it.
    > The move didn't work.

    321studios.com probably shouldn't have believed the major Hollywood
    studios lie that they're hemorrhaging serious green from video piracy.
    It's actually their pack of lawyers that they're hemorrhaging green
    on... you know, the billions in green the greedy bastards get from DVD
    sales.

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

    Ronald Cole, Aug 6, 2004
  11. Modemac

    NeoRenegade Guest

    One-Shot Scot wrote:

    > "Modemac" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>321studios.com made some headlines last year by striking first in
    >>court against the major Hollywood studios before they came after it.
    >>The move didn't work.

    > AUG. 3 | The countdown has reached zero.
    >
    > St. Louis-based 321 Studios, marketers of the controversial DVD X Copy
    > and Games X Copy software, has apparently shut its doors for good.
    >
    > According to a statement on its web site, the company has ceased all
    > operations, including the sale, support and promotion of its products.
    >
    > It blamed the shutdown on a series of lawsuits dealt to the company by
    > the studios and game makers, which had charged 321 with copyright
    > violations under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
    >
    > "Despite 321 Studios' best efforts to remain in business, injunctions
    > entered against 321 Studios by three U.S. Federal courts earlier this
    > year has resulted in 321 Studios no longer being able to continue
    > operating the business," the statement says.
    >
    > The latest blow came July 29, when a federal district court in New York
    > issued an injunction against the company barring it from selling or
    > distributing Games X Copy.
    >
    > The ruling came from the same court that had previously enjoined 321
    > from selling DVD X Copy. A federal court in San Francisco also ruled
    > against the company earlier this year.
    >
    > "We are extremely pleased that 321 Studios agreed to stop manufacturing
    > and distributing its game-cracking software," Entertainment Software
    > Assn. president Doug Lowenstein said in a statement. "The technology
    > used by 321 Studios clearly violated the protection that game publishers
    > enjoy under the DMCA and we are optimistic that the final outcome of
    > this case will reflect that."
    >
    > Officials from 321 could not be reached for comment. In June, the
    > company warned customers that it might be forced to file for bankruptcy
    > due to mounting legal bills.
    >
    > Like the studios before them, the game publishers charged that Games X
    > Copy violated the DMCA's ban on technology used to circumvent encryption
    > codes on copyrighted works.
    >
    > At the time, 321 officials claimed the software simply made a bit-to-bit
    > copy of a game disc without having to circumvent the encryption.
    >
    > "Basically we'll never know if Games X Copy is legal, because the
    > company simply ran out of money to defend itself," said Fred von
    > Lohmann, senior attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
    >
    > The foundation had supported 321 in its battle with copyright owners.
    >

    > http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=8362&catType=NEWS

    It's funny that the game industry would sue! I mean, they intentionally
    make their games on standard CD and DVD formats so that people can make
    copies!

    Nintendo got it right in the first place - use an optical disc format
    which is proprietary and can't be read without specialized equipment,
    let alone copied to any useful format (rumour has it that there is a
    magnetic code on GC discs so that it wouldn't be as simple as burning a
    copy of the disc even if you could get your PC DVD burner to do so).

    - NR

    NeoRenegade, Aug 6, 2004
  12. Modemac

    NeoRenegade Guest

    Cardinal Vertigo wrote:

    > Zapanas wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:34:58 -0400, "Zimmy" <> wrote:
    >>

    > [snip]
    >
    >>> If 321 wanted to get the last laugh against the movie and game
    >>> companies, they could release this pin from the grenade they are
    >>> holding as the companies come to pick their bones:
    >>>
    >>> Release all of their programs for free over the internet. No keys,
    >>> no activation, everything, open sourced, etc.
    >>>
    >>> I was hoping Bleem (remember them?) would have done the same thing.
    >>> Why they didn't, I'll never know.

    >> Well they might have been a little concerned over the possibility of a
    >> lengthy prison term.

    > It's really, really hard to prove where a "leak" came from.

    Considering that the company no longer exists, there is nobody who will
    pursue the "software pirates" now who would distribute the software and
    its keys.

    Honestly, the industry giants shoot themselves in the feet when they
    shut down companies that market anti-copy-protection software, because
    inevitably it results in a more widespread, untraceable distribution of
    the very software they want to get rid of. And on top of that there's
    the bad publicity.

    - NR

    NeoRenegade, Aug 6, 2004
  13. NeoRenegade wrote:
> [...]

    >> "Basically we'll never know if Games X Copy is legal, because the
    >> company simply ran out of money to defend itself," said Fred von
    >> Lohmann, senior attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
    >>
    >> The foundation had supported 321 in its battle with copyright owners.
    >>

    >> http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=8362&catType=NEWS
    >>

    > It's funny that the game industry would sue! I mean, they intentionally
    > make their games on standard CD and DVD formats so that people can make
    > copies!
    >
    > Nintendo got it right in the first place - use an optical disc format
    > which is proprietary and can't be read without specialized equipment,
    > let alone copied to any useful format (rumour has it that there is a
    > magnetic code on GC discs so that it wouldn't be as simple as burning a
    > copy of the disc even if you could get your PC DVD burner to do so).

    I agree, but that doesn't always work. Look at the Sega Dreamcast for
    example; it used proprietary media (GD-ROM's) that can only be read with
    a special reader however people eventually figured out how to run games
    off of CD-R's. Furthermore, the cost of proprietary formats is
    functionality, the GameCube (Not counting panasonic's Q) obviously can't
    play CD's or DVD's whereas it's competition can.

    Nicholas Andrade, Aug 6, 2004
  14. All these accidents,
    That happen,
    Follow the dot,
    Coincidence,
    Makes sense,
    Only with you,
    You don't have to speak,
    I feel.

    Emotional landscapes,
    They puzzle me,
    Then the riddle gets solved,
    And you push me up to this

    State of emergency,
    How beautiful to be,
    State of emergency,
    Is where I want to be.

    All that no-one sees,
    You see,
    What's inside of me,
    Every nerve that hurts,
    You heal,
    Deep inside of me, oo-oohh,
    You don't have to speak,
    I feel.

    Emotional landscapes,
    They puzzle me - confuse,
    Then the riddle gets solved,
    And you push me up to this

    State of emergency,
    How beautiful to be,
    State of emergency,
    Is where I want to be.

    State of emergency,
    How beautiful to be,

    Emotional landscapes,
    They puzzle me,
    Then the riddle gets solved,
    And you push me up to this

    State of emergency,
    How beautiful to be,
    State of emergency,
    Is where I want to be.

    State of emergency,
    How beautiful to be,
    State of emergency,
    State of, state of,
    How beautiful,
    Emergency,
    Is where I want to be.

    State of emergency,
    How beautiful to be,
    State of emergency,
    Is where I want to be.

    State of emergency,
    How beautiful to be.

    Rev. 11D Ricardo MadGello, Aug 6, 2004
  15. Modemac

    ShadowRaptor Guest

    The law wins ... Moore is an idiot who knowingly broke the law and worse, he
    flaunted it in front of the MPAA. What did you expect the MPAA to do?

    Whether or not you agree with the law is irrelevant.

    ShadowRaptor, Aug 6, 2004
  16. Modemac

    Zapanas Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:01:25 -0400, NeoRenegade
    <> wrote:

    >Cardinal Vertigo wrote:
    >
    >> Zapanas wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:34:58 -0400, "Zimmy" <> wrote:
    >>>

    >> [snip]

    >>> Well they might have been a little concerned over the possibility of a
    >>> lengthy prison term.

    >> It's really, really hard to prove where a "leak" came from.

    >Considering that the company no longer exists, there is nobody who will
    >pursue the "software pirates" now who would distribute the software and
    >its keys.
    >
    >Honestly, the industry giants shoot themselves in the feet when they
    >shut down companies that market anti-copy-protection software, because
    >inevitably it results in a more widespread, untraceable distribution of
    >the very software they want to get rid of. And on top of that there's
    >the bad publicity.

    I remember shortly before they shut Napster down, I just laughed. The
    regulators really seemed to believe it would reduce piracy, rather
    than simply shunt it off where it couldn't be controlled.

    --
    Zapanas
    Grand Master of the Satanic Conspiracy
    http://joecosby.com/
    "We're all guilty, in a way. We all helped shoot him, we all helped skin him, and we all got a
    complimentary bumper sticker that said 'I Helped Skin Bob'."
    -Jack Handy

    Zapanas, Aug 6, 2004
  17. Modemac

    Zapanas Guest

    On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:10:59 -0500, "ShadowRaptor" <>
    wrote:

    >Whether or not you agree with the law is irrelevant.

    SIG!

    --
    Zapanas
    Grand Master of the Satanic Conspiracy
    http://joecosby.com/
    Whether or not you agree with the law is irrelevant.

    - No, really, there really are people that stupid.

    Zapanas, Aug 6, 2004
  18. On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:34:58 -0400, "Zimmy" <> wrote:

    >I was never a fan of 321 Studios. They grossly overcharged on their
    >products so they could afford litigation.
    >I would have purchased most of their products if they charged what they were
    >worth.
    >When a company charges $120 for a $30 program, well, good riddance.
    >
    >If 321 wanted to get the last laugh against the movie and game companies,
    >they could release this pin from the grenade they are holding as the
    >companies come to pick their bones:
    >
    >Release all of their programs for free over the internet. No keys, no
    >activation, everything, open sourced, etc.
    >
    >I was hoping Bleem (remember them?) would have done the same thing.
    >Why they didn't, I'll never know.
    >
    >"Modemac" <> wrote in message
    >> 321studios.com made some headlines last year by striking first in
    >> court against the major Hollywood studios before they came after it.
    >> The move didn't work.
    >>
    >> Source: Internet Movie Database

    Considering all the free options available, and considering the
    various "levels" of DVD X Copy available, (bronze, silver, gold,
    platinum, aluminum, et al) It's a wonder 321 studios lasted as long as
    they did.

    Dyuob Poltice, Aug 6, 2004
  19. >Release all of their programs for free over the internet. No keys, no
    >activation, everything, open sourced, etc.

    that's what the BBC said that British (UK) law requires them to do for all of
    theirBBC-produced radio and tv shows.

    and after I posted that information, people in the newsgroups said that even
    though British law requires the BBC to do that, that it is STILL illegal and
    against the law for the BBC to do that without going through the MPAA first and
    paying the MPAA first, (even though it's the BBC's own material and the BBC
    never ever signed an agreement with the MPAa anywhere regarding most of those
    programs) because "all downloaded video on the internet must be authorized by
    the MPAA".

    And the equivalent for the American audio companies that want everyone to pay
    then for ALL downloaded music on the internet even if the original artists
    making and producing the music makes it available for download theirselves and
    never ever signed anything to fo through the American audio companies.

    Of course that's how the MPAA and (RIAA? BMG? ASCAP:?) want it to be.

    Of course the people in the UK say to f*** off. That American laws don't apply
    to the UK and that they do NOT have to pay the MPAA to make their own produced
    stuff available for download and to stuff it up your a*** because it is not
    illegal since UK law requires it to be done, even though Hollywood says it's
    illegal for the BBC to follow their own country's required laws.

    (and that's just another reason that so many UK citizens and people in other
    countries are angry at America. Telling them that following their own laws are
    illegal. (although they theirselves tell that to Americans, also). so that's
    hypocritical.

    that said, except for the BBC, UK citizens are against making the BBC archives
    free fo everyone in the world claiming that Americans get the programs for
    free without paying for them unlike UK citizens who have to pay a tax for a tv
    liscence to see them.

    O course, they are mistaken. Americans pay for them to, just in a slightly
    different way. Most BBC shows were available in the U.S. only on PBS. Which
    some of all American's tax money go to pay for and fund PBS. It's just not a
    "liscence to watch tv" like in the UK, but it's still a tax to fund a public tv
    station that funds mostly BBC shows.

    Waterperson77, Aug 6, 2004
  20. The MPAA of course wants it to be like that, against the law for the BBC to
    make their own BBC-produced non-MPAA stuff freely available to the public
    without first paying the MPAA even though the BBC never signed an agreement
    with the MPAA regarding those shows, and even thougth British and UK law
    require the BBC to make the shows freely available to the public.

    I argued that it was not illegal for the BBC to make their shows freely
    available to the public since 1. It's the BBC's own produced stuff and they can
    do whatever they want with it and 2. UK law requires the BBC to make them
    freely available

    Then people in this newsgroup posted that it's STILL illegal for the BBC to
    make these self-produced non-MPAA shows available for free download to the
    public period without paying and getting authorization from the MPAA first ,
    even though UK law requires them to do it.

    This just proves to me that most of the people posting in the dvd newsgroups
    are MPAA shills, trying to get money out of stuff they don't have any right to
    get money out of.

    Therefore, the MPAA is just as bad (and in my opinion, even worse than) the
    video pirates are.

    Waterperson77, Aug 6, 2004