  1. Who decides who gets to do the commentaries on dvds?
    Do critics volunteer or are they called on by the industry? Do people
    fight over the privelege? How much do they pay for the service?

    volkischlemiel, Jan 21, 2004

  2. volkischlemiel

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>,
    volkischlemiel <> wrote:

    > Who decides who gets to do the commentaries on dvds?

    Whoever pays the bills.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Invid Fan <> wrote in message news:<200120042236032208%>...
    > In article <>,
    > volkischlemiel <> wrote:
    >
    > > Who decides who gets to do the commentaries on dvds?

    > Whoever pays the bills.

    Can the director object to someone in particular doing the commentarY?

    volkischlemiel, Jan 21, 2004
  4. volkischlemiel

    Cadet Grey Guest

    > > In article <>,
    > > volkischlemiel <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Who decides who gets to do the commentaries on dvds?

    > > Whoever pays the bills.

    > Can the director object to someone in particular doing the commentarY?

    Yes, Ms. Morstendung, the director (if still living) can object
    all they want to ... of course the final decision is made either
    by the producer of the DVD, or by whomever contractually
    holds the DVD rights which are increasingly being negotiated
    up front before production on a film begins. Of course, that
    entity may or may not be the director.

    On some of the classic releases, the studio still owns the film
    outright, and hires "experts" to provide commentary. On the
    20th Century-Fox release "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", the
    DVD commentators include writer/historian Jeanine Basinger
    who is charge of the Gene Tierney archives at Wesleyan
    College and Joseph Mankiewicz biographer Kenneth Geist
    (whose opinions regarding the performances differ greatly).
    A second commentary contains observations about the
    musical score from an expert on Bernard Herrmann's
    career.

    These answers which I offer are fairly obvious. Is there a
    particular instance which has prompted your curiosity, or
    are you just out ice fishing on a cold winter's day?

    - Grey

    Cadet Grey, Jan 21, 2004
  5. volkischlemiel

    Eric R. Guest

    (volkischlemiel) wrote in message news:<>...

    > Who decides who gets to do the commentaries on dvds?

    Me.

    You want to do one?

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jan 21, 2004