    when you get a chance.

    thank you,

    http://tinyurl.com/fwkoy
    adam, Apr 12, 2006

  2. adam

    Richard C. Guest

    "adam" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >A good friend of mine is selling a portion of his DVD collection on
    > EBay. There are some really great titles here. Please check it out
    > when you get a chance.
    >
    > thank you,
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/fwkoy

    ===========================
    Your "friend" is asking too high a starting bid for such a lot.
    Richard C., Apr 12, 2006

  3. adam

    adam Guest

    I don't think less than $4 per DVD is too high. He is trying to sell
    it as an aggregate lot instead of piece meal to save some time, but
    doesn't want to get completely stiffed on the price. I have seen other
    collections sell for much higher than that.
    adam, Apr 13, 2006
  4. adam

    unclejr Guest

    adam wrote:
    > I have seen other collections sell for much higher than that.

    But they probably started at a lower opening bid than "your friend's"
    auction. A low opening bid ENTICES bidders to participate; a high
    opening bid DISCOURAGES bidders to participate. If the lot gets sold
    at all, I would be willing to bet that it will have only one bidder.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Apr 13, 2006
  5. adam

    adam Guest

    I don't know why the use of "" is in order with every comment? if you
    want "my" EBay username email me and I will send it to you. If it were
    my sale I wouldn't have a problem saying so.

    I thought this would be a excellent group to advertise this sale to.

    Although I disagree that the starting bid is too high for an entire
    collection, I thank you for looking anyway.
    adam, Apr 13, 2006
  6. adam

    unclejr Guest

    adam wrote:
    > I don't know why the use of "" is in order with every comment? if you
    > want "my" EBay username email me and I will send it to you. If it were
    > my sale I wouldn't have a problem saying so.

    It's because often when someone calls into a radio psychologist/talk
    show and says that his/her "friend" has a problem, 99.9% of the time it
    is the caller who has the actual problem!

    > I thought this would be a excellent group to advertise this sale to.

    Your alt.video.dvd advertisement may violate eBay's policy:

    <http://pages.ebay.com/help/usenet_policy.html>

    > Although I disagree that the starting bid is too high for an entire
    > collection, I thank you for looking anyway.

    The problem with lots, is that often most potential bidders will
    already have a small (or a large) number of the titles listed in the
    auction. Therefore, a certain percentage of the auction is for titles
    that are unwanted. That bidder then has to weigh the want for those
    titles that he/she is interested in vs. the headach with having to
    sell/find homes for those that he/she doesn't want.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Apr 13, 2006
  7. adam

    Jay G. Guest

    On 13 Apr 2006 08:16:36 -0700, adam wrote:

    > I don't think less than $4 per DVD is too high. He is trying to sell
    > it as an aggregate lot instead of piece meal to save some time, but
    > doesn't want to get completely stiffed on the price. I have seen other
    > collections sell for much higher than that.

    There's an option on ebay called a reserve price. You can set it so that
    the bids won't be valid winning bids until the reserve price is met. In
    this way you can set the initial bid price to something low enough to
    attract bidders without the fear of losing your shirt.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Apr 13, 2006
  8. adam

    adam Guest

    Junior,

    Rest Assured that I am not the owner of this auction. While I
    appreciate the link to eBay's user policy, I doubt that posting 1
    auction in 1 relevant group constitutes UseNet Abuse. If it does,
    please accept my apologies.
    adam, Apr 13, 2006
  9. adam

    Richard C. Guest

    "unclejr" <> wrote in message
    > adam wrote:
    >> I don't know why the use of "" is in order with every comment? if you
    >> want "my" EBay username email me and I will send it to you. If it were
    >> my sale I wouldn't have a problem saying so.

    > It's because often when someone calls into a radio psychologist/talk
    > show and says that his/her "friend" has a problem, 99.9% of the time it
    > is the caller who has the actual problem!
    >
    >> I thought this would be a excellent group to advertise this sale to.

    > Your alt.video.dvd advertisement may violate eBay's policy:
    >
    > <http://pages.ebay.com/help/usenet_policy.html>
    >
    >> Although I disagree that the starting bid is too high for an entire
    >> collection, I thank you for looking anyway.

    > The problem with lots, is that often most potential bidders will
    > already have a small (or a large) number of the titles listed in the
    > auction. Therefore, a certain percentage of the auction is for titles
    > that are unwanted. That bidder then has to weigh the want for those
    > titles that he/she is interested in vs. the headach with having to
    > sell/find homes for those that he/she doesn't want.
    >
    > -Junior

    ===========================
    I doubt it will even get an openning bid.
    Richard C., Apr 13, 2006
  10. adam

    unclejr Guest

    Richard C. wrote:
    > I doubt it will even get an openning bid.

    ....and you would be (apparently) wrong -- dare I say, not for the first
    time, either:

    <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9123740813>

    Unless, of course, it's a shill bid.

    -Junior