    something that can be connected to the pc not a standalone unit for
    tv's only!

    Thanks,
    Light Bright, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Light Bright

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    I know of a CD tower which allows you manage the CD slots by USB.

    Yves Leclerc, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Light Bright

    Light Bright Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:55:11 -0500, "Yves Leclerc"
    <> wrote:

    >I know of a CD tower which allows you manage the CD slots by USB.
    >

    >"Light Bright" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know of a dvd-rom changer for the pc that can hold maybe
    >> 100 or more dvd's? I have heard about such an item that is connected
    >> via the usb 2.0 cable. I am unable to find it anywhere. Please if
    >> anyone knows I would appreciate a link or anything. I am talking about
    >> something that can be connected to the pc not a standalone unit for
    >> tv's only!
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    Do you have a link??? I am looking for one that plays dvd's.
    Light Bright, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Light Bright

    Todd Mancini Guest

    Light Bright <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Does anyone know of a dvd-rom changer for the pc that can hold maybe
    > 100 or more dvd's? I have heard about such an item that is connected
    > via the usb 2.0 cable. I am unable to find it anywhere. Please if
    > anyone knows I would appreciate a link or anything. I am talking about
    > something that can be connected to the pc not a standalone unit for
    > tv's only!
    >
    > Thanks,

    Well, you perhaps could have guessed at this URL: http://www.dvdchanger.com

    ;^) Good luck!
    Todd Mancini, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Light Bright

    Who Dat? Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:58:35 GMT, Light Bright
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a dvd-rom changer for the pc that can hold maybe
    >100 or more dvd's? I have heard about such an item that is connected
    >via the usb 2.0 cable. I am unable to find it anywhere. Please if
    >anyone knows I would appreciate a link or anything. I am talking about
    >something that can be connected to the pc not a standalone unit for
    >tv's only!
    >
    >Thanks,

    This is what I am looking for!
    Who Dat?, Oct 16, 2005
  6. Light Bright

    Mike Kujbida Guest

    Who Dat? wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:58:35 GMT, Light Bright
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a dvd-rom changer for the pc that can hold maybe
    >> 100 or more dvd's? I have heard about such an item that is connected
    >> via the usb 2.0 cable. I am unable to find it anywhere. Please if
    >> anyone knows I would appreciate a link or anything. I am talking
    >> about something that can be connected to the pc not a standalone
    >> unit for tv's only!
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > This is what I am looking for!

    Do a Google search on "DVD jukebox" and you'll find several links.
    I don't think you'll like some of the prices though :-(

    Mike
    Mike Kujbida, Oct 16, 2005
  7. Light Bright

    Who Dat? Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:59:10 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
    <> wrote:

    >Who Dat? wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:58:35 GMT, Light Bright
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know of a dvd-rom changer for the pc that can hold maybe
    >>> 100 or more dvd's? I have heard about such an item that is connected
    >>> via the usb 2.0 cable. I am unable to find it anywhere. Please if
    >>> anyone knows I would appreciate a link or anything. I am talking
    >>> about something that can be connected to the pc not a standalone
    >>> unit for tv's only!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> This is what I am looking for!

    >Do a Google search on "DVD jukebox" and you'll find several links.
    >I don't think you'll like some of the prices though :-(
    >
    >Mike

    I am looking for one that plays dvds as well as just stores them and
    that can be accessed via a usb on a PC.
    Who Dat?, Oct 16, 2005
  8. Light Bright

    Smarty Guest

    There is no such unit out there that I am aware of. There are several
    standalone units, and also network attached storage devices which will store
    thousands of DVDs which require that you rip all the DVDs to their server
    farm (see:
    http://www.excelmeridiandata.com/products/datashare_x2/index.shtml

    but I don't get the impression that you are looking for either of these 2
    types.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Oct 16, 2005
  9. Light Bright

    David McCall Guest

    "Who Dat?" <Who > wrote in message
    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:59:10 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > I am looking for one that plays dvds as well as just stores them and
    > that can be accessed via a usb on a PC.

    Sony makes a DVD player that holds a lot of DVDs (300-400??)
    I do not know what it has for an interface.

    I have the similar Sony CD player that holds 300 CDs and I can
    control it using a ~$250 Slink-e interface box using CDJ software.
    http://www.nirvis.com/cdj.htm
    The software recognizes CDs in the player and gets the album
    and song titles from the internet. It even gets the lyrics and
    cover art for some titles. Then you can create play list and such.

    You may be able to adapt the CDJ product to drive the Sony
    DVD player, but I wouldn't know.

    Good luck

    David
    David McCall, Oct 16, 2005
  10. Light Bright

    Alpha Guest

    "Smarty" <> wrote in message
    > There is no such unit out there that I am aware of. There are several
    > standalone units, and also network attached storage devices which will
    > store thousands of DVDs which require that you rip all the DVDs to their
    > server farm (see:
    > http://www.excelmeridiandata.com/products/datashare_x2/index.shtml
    >
    > but I don't get the impression that you are looking for either of these 2
    > types.
    >
    > Smarty

    Further, the company that created the CSS copy protection is suing these
    companies big time....serving DVDs off a central server, even within a home,
    is considered a violation of the law.
    Alpha, Oct 16, 2005
  11. Light Bright

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Alpha () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > There is no such unit out there that I am aware of. There are several
    > > standalone units, and also network attached storage devices which will
    > > store thousands of DVDs which require that you rip all the DVDs to their
    > > server farm (see:
    > > http://www.excelmeridiandata.com/products/datashare_x2/index.shtml
    > >
    > > but I don't get the impression that you are looking for either of these 2
    > > types.

    > Further, the company that created the CSS copy protection is suing these
    > companies big time

    Some companies, yes, but not the one mentioned in the link, because they
    don't provide any way to rip CSS-protected DVD-Video discs. The devices
    they sell are just big hard drives with network connections.

    > ....serving DVDs off a central server, even within a home,
    > is considered a violation of the law.

    No, actually, it isn't, especially if you are talking about DVDs that
    aren't CSS-encrypted DVD-Video discs.

    Even for these, selling hardware that does this *might* be contributory
    infringement of the rights of the copyright holder, but it's never been
    specifically tested in court. Actually *serving* DVD-Video discs off a
    central server for personal use is *not* copyright infringement. Copying
    them to the server would only be infringement if you don't own the original
    discs. There is nothing in copyright law that prevents someone from using
    a tool to rip a DVD-Video disc to the server. Writing and/or distributing
    such a tool is possibly contributory infringement, but that hasn't been
    tested in court, either.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Oct 16, 2005
  12. Light Bright

    Alpha Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > Alpha () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> > There is no such unit out there that I am aware of. There are several
    >> > standalone units, and also network attached storage devices which will
    >> > store thousands of DVDs which require that you rip all the DVDs to
    >> > their
    >> > server farm (see:
    >> > http://www.excelmeridiandata.com/products/datashare_x2/index.shtml
    >> >
    >> > but I don't get the impression that you are looking for either of these
    >> > 2
    >> > types.

    >> Further, the company that created the CSS copy protection is suing these
    >> companies big time

    > Some companies, yes, but not the one mentioned in the link, because they
    > don't provide any way to rip CSS-protected DVD-Video discs. The devices
    > they sell are just big hard drives with network connections.
    >
    >> ....serving DVDs off a central server, even within a
    >> home,
    >> is considered a violation of the law.

    > No, actually, it isn't, especially if you are talking about DVDs that
    > aren't CSS-encrypted DVD-Video discs.

    http://news.com.com/Hollywood allies sue DVD jukebox maker/2100-1025_3-5482206.html

    Now just what dvds are not CSS-encrypted? I am tired of your incredibly
    obtuse reasoning and
    totally punctilious stance on the obvious.
    Alpha, Oct 16, 2005
  13. Light Bright

    Guest

    Well, one such unit that playes 300 DVDs is the Pioneer DV-F727
    301-Disc DVD Changer.

    Don't mind my asking, Light Bright, but actually I wonder why you need
    to play 100 DVDs? I have a huge DVD collection as well, but I thought
    having a 10 DVD disc changer or something like that would suffice.

    Best Regards,
    Gary Hendricks
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
    , Oct 16, 2005
  14. Light Bright

    Peter Guest

    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...rs&ProductSKU=DVPCX995V&TabName=feature&var2=

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada

    Peter, Oct 16, 2005
  15. "Alpha" wrote ...
    > Now just what dvds are not CSS-encrypted? I am tired of
    > your incredibly obtuse reasoning and totally punctilious
    > stance on the obvious.

    The world extends beyond the city limits of Hollywood.
    Sheesh. I suspect that the DVDs that many of the people
    in this newsgroup produce are not CSS-encrypted.
    Richard Crowley, Oct 16, 2005
  16. Light Bright wrote:
    >Does anyone know of a dvd-rom changer for the pc that can hold maybe
    >100 or more dvd's? I have heard about such an item that is connected
    >via the usb 2.0 cable. I am unable to find it anywhere. Please if
    >anyone knows I would appreciate a link or anything. I am talking about
    >something that can be connected to the pc not a standalone unit for
    >tv's only!

    You can likely connect an infra-red device to your computer
    to control any of the standalone devices.
    Richard Crowley, Oct 16, 2005
  17. Light Bright

    Justin Guest

    Alpha wrote on [Sun, 16 Oct 2005 01:06:13 -0700]:

    > "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message

    >>> Further, the company that created the CSS copy protection is suing these
    >>> companies big time

    >> Some companies, yes, but not the one mentioned in the link, because they
    >> don't provide any way to rip CSS-protected DVD-Video discs. The devices
    >> they sell are just big hard drives with network connections.
    >>
    >>> ....serving DVDs off a central server, even within a
    >>> home,
    >>> is considered a violation of the law.

    >> No, actually, it isn't, especially if you are talking about DVDs that
    >> aren't CSS-encrypted DVD-Video discs.

    > http://news.com.com/Hollywood allies sue DVD jukebox maker/2100-1025_3-5482206.html
    >
    > Now just what dvds are not CSS-encrypted? I am tired of your incredibly
    > obtuse reasoning and
    > totally punctilious stance on the obvious.

    I know some anime DVDs aren't encrypted
    Justin, Oct 16, 2005
  18. Light Bright

    Justin Guest

    wrote on [16 Oct 2005 02:52:55 -0700]:
    > Well, one such unit that playes 300 DVDs is the Pioneer DV-F727
    > 301-Disc DVD Changer.

    Does it play both sides?
    Justin, Oct 16, 2005
  19. Light Bright

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Alpha () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Now just what dvds are not CSS-encrypted?

    Any DVD that isn't a DVD-Video disc, for one. Plus, there are some
    commercial DVD-Video discs that aren't CSS encrypted.

    Since the original link was for a pure network storage device that has no
    knowledge of the content of the disc, these are the only discs it can handle
    natively. Sure, the user can rip a DVD-Video disc and place it on the
    storage unit, but that won't get the company that makes the unit sued. You
    don't see the MPAA going after Seagate, Western Digital, and Maxtor because
    they make hard drives that can store ripped DVDs, do you?

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Oct 16, 2005
  20. Light Bright