    the registry fix, did not work. I have looked for a driver, none found.
    Please tell me if it is possible to have a dvd cdrw while running xp
    professional? If so HOW! Please help!

    Paul G, Feb 8, 2010

  2. Paul G

    Carlos Guest

    Paul,
    This is a 64-bit OSs specific NG.
    What OS are you running.
    All that being said, what made you discard your optical drive and replace it
    with a new one.
    What hardware is your laptop not recongnizing any more?
    Please try to be more specific.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 8, 2010

  3. Paul G

    Paul G Guest

    it was a cd drive only...I wanted a cdrw/dvd player. It is not reconizing the
    new drive in windows xp professional at all.The other laptop was running
    windows xp and the drive worked perfectly.

    Paul G, Feb 8, 2010
  4. Paul G

    Carlos Guest

    Paul,
    Let's see if something didn't get screwed up in the swap.
    Put the CD "only" drive back and see if it works.
    If it does, delete it from device manager before removing it physically.
    Then place the new drive and pray.
    This is hardly an OS issue. The "new" drive might be incompatible with your
    notebook.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 8, 2010
  5. Paul G

    Carlos Guest

    Paul,
    Here is a compatible replacement DVD drive for your notebook:
    http://www.laptoppartsworld.com/products/26010.html
    Dell forums might also have important information regarding your issue.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 8, 2010
  6. Paul G

    Paul G Guest

    I don't know if it's 64 bit. How can i TELL?

    Paul G, Feb 8, 2010
  7. Paul G

    Paul G Guest

    THAT IS THE PART NUMBER OF THE DRIVE i AM TRYING TO INSTALL.

    Paul G, Feb 8, 2010
  8. Paul G

    Bob AZ Guest

    On Feb 8, 6:58 am, Paul G <> wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop.I am running windows xp professional.I was
    > running a cd drive perfectly, when I took a cdrw/dvd from another Dell
    > Inspiron 5000 and installed it in my laptop it does not recognize any
    > hardware anywhere. I have tried mr.fix it,3hrs and no result. I have tried
    > the registry fix, did not work. I have looked for a driver, none found.
    > Please tell me if it is possible to have a dvd cdrw while running xp
    > professional? If so HOW! Please help!

    Paul

    FWIW

    Go to Device Manager and see if the drive appears there. Right Click
    to view the setup options for any possible solutions.

    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, Feb 8, 2010
  9. Paul G

    Carlos Guest

    Paul,
    Did you try my other suggestions?
    Moreover, what happens in Device Manager.
    Is the drive showing up there somehow?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 8, 2010
  10. Paul G

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Paul.

    > I don't know if it's 64 bit. How can i TELL?

    Easiest trick in the book: <Win>+<Break>

    That is: Hold down the <Win> key while you press the <Pause/Break> key.
    The System Properties screen should pop up in your face. In the middle of
    that page, you should see "System type". If you are running 64-bit Windows,
    it will say "64-bit Operating System". If you aren't, it won't.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX