    best way to store them for posterity?

    Thank you in advance.

    Larry Z.

    Polish Prince \(Szynka\), Jun 26, 2005

  2. Polish Prince \(Szynka\)

    David Z Guest

    The Chicago Fire was in 1871.... did film exist then?

    David Z, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Polish Prince \(Szynka\)

    Impmon Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:03:52 GMT, "David Z" <> wrote:

    >>I have recently transferred some old
    >> Chicago fire footage from VHS to DVD-R.
    >> It is so important to preserve these copies.
    >> I have them in jewel cases and enclosed
    >> in plastic zip-lock bags. My brother said
    >> not to store them in the bags. What is the
    >> best way to store them for posterity?

    >The Chicago Fire was in 1871.... did film exist then?

    No idea but I doubt that 1871 fire was the only fire in Chicago area.
    A city of that size probably gets a few fire calls per day.

    Impmon, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Polish Prince \(Szynka\)

    Joe McC Guest

    >I have recently transferred some old
    > Chicago fire footage from VHS to DVD-R.
    > It is so important to preserve these copies.
    > I have them in jewel cases and enclosed
    > in plastic zip-lock bags. My brother said
    > not to store them in the bags. What is the
    > best way to store them for posterity?

    1. Keep 'em out of direct sunlight
    2. Store at average room temperature
    3. Protect the surface with soft tissue during storage
    4. Inspect regularly
    5. Keep more than one copy of each disc
    5. Play the disc every so often
    6. Re-transfer onto fresh (non-lossy) media if you suspect blemishes or dye
    flaws on the existing disc......

    Joe McC, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Polish Prince \(Szynka\)

    Mr. Moe Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:17:01 GMT, "Polish Prince \(Szynka\)"
    <> wrote:

    >I have recently transferred some old
    >Chicago fire footage from VHS to DVD-R.
    >It is so important to preserve these copies.
    >I have them in jewel cases and enclosed
    >in plastic zip-lock bags. My brother said
    >not to store them in the bags. What is the
    >best way to store them for posterity?
    >
    >Thank you in advance.
    >
    >Larry Z.

    Here's a great place to get regular standard blackDVD storage cases.
    Good prices, good product, fast delivery. I buy all my cases from
    them.

    http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/allme...case-25-50-100-200-and-500-pack-group-148.htm

    Good luck with the archiving!
    Mr. Moe

    Mr. Moe, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Polish Prince \(Szynka\)

    Large Farva Guest

    Strore them in a fire safe in your primary location and an offsite location.

    Make fresh copies every year.

    Don't use them as costers.

    Large Farva, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Thank you so much everyone.
    The footage is from fires during
    the 1960s.

    Larry

    --
    " Radical Liberalism is a Dangerous Mental Disorder. "

    Polish Prince \(Szynka\), Jun 29, 2005