    same problem. However it plays pre-recorded movies and music discs. Any help
    as to what the problem may be would be appreciated.

    Pete

    Peter, Aug 23, 2007

  2. Peter

    ded Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My DVD/CD re-writer will not write to any DVD or CD disc I attempt to
    > write to. I have replaced the re-writer with a brand new one but still
    > have the same problem. However it plays pre-recorded movies and music
    > discs. Any help as to what the problem may be would be appreciated.
    >
    > Pete

    Was the original burner ever able to write to a recordable disk?
    What exactly are you doing, what software, what type of disk are you trying
    to burn, are there error messages, what operating system?
    When you place a blank recordable disk in tray does explorer recognise it?
    With a new burner, it is often just a firmware update thats required to
    recognise
    the ever expanding range of different makes of media from anywhere from
    Taiwan through to Eastern Europe.

    ded, Aug 23, 2007

  3. Peter

    olfart Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > My DVD/CD re-writer will not write to any DVD or CD disc I attempt to
    > write to. I have replaced the re-writer with a brand new one but still
    > have the same problem. However it plays pre-recorded movies and music
    > discs. Any help as to what the problem may be would be appreciated.
    >
    > Pete

    What O/S??

    What Burning Software??? Have you tried reinstalling the software???

    olfart, Aug 23, 2007
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Sorry I should have said O/S is XP and I have tried Nero & Sonic with the
    same results, I haven't tried re-installing the software. I have been able
    to write to discs before on this computer. I have tried Philips DVD+RW,
    Woolworths CD Writer, Verbatim DVD+RW and Verbatim CD-RW. Thanks for your
    replies.

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 23, 2007
  5. Peter

    dadiOH Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Sorry I should have said O/S is XP

    WinXP has no ASPI drivers. It may work better with them.
    http://aspi.radified.com/

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Aug 23, 2007
  6. Peter

    ded Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry I should have said O/S is XP and I have tried Nero & Sonic with the
    > same results, I haven't tried re-installing the software. I have been able
    > to write to discs before on this computer. I have tried Philips DVD+RW,
    > Woolworths CD Writer, Verbatim DVD+RW and Verbatim CD-RW. Thanks for your
    > replies.
    >
    > Peter

    OK Peter, first try to follow the flow of the thread, it is much easier if
    you
    don't top post, your reply goes below mine as mine did yours, etc
    You appear to be using your default email account with BT to post into
    usenet - see above how I've munged your addy, anyone who wants to
    email you will know to remove "remove this", but automated bots won't.
    Munging your addy is a basic method of avoiding spam flooding your inbox.

    Your burner problem, lets do basics first.
    Place a blank disk in tray, close and leave for 30-60 seconds.
    You may hear some whirring etc
    Double click "My Computer"
    Listed will be drives etc, and capacity and free space etc.
    Is the DVD writer listed, and does it detail that it recognises a blank disk
    is loaded - it will detail free space available.

    ded, Aug 23, 2007
  7. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message news:fakiqp$tgl$...

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> Sorry I should have said O/S is XP and I have tried Nero & Sonic with the
    >> same results, I haven't tried re-installing the software. I have been
    >> able to write to discs before on this computer. I have tried Philips
    >> DVD+RW, Woolworths CD Writer, Verbatim DVD+RW and Verbatim CD-RW. Thanks
    >> for your replies.
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>

    > OK Peter, first try to follow the flow of the thread, it is much easier if
    > you
    > don't top post, your reply goes below mine as mine did yours, etc
    > You appear to be using your default email account with BT to post into
    > usenet - see above how I've munged your addy, anyone who wants to
    > email you will know to remove "remove this", but automated bots won't.
    > Munging your addy is a basic method of avoiding spam flooding your inbox.
    >
    > Your burner problem, lets do basics first.
    > Place a blank disk in tray, close and leave for 30-60 seconds.
    > You may hear some whirring etc
    > Double click "My Computer"
    > Listed will be drives etc, and capacity and free space etc.
    > Is the DVD writer listed, and does it detail that it recognises a blank
    > disk
    > is loaded - it will detail free space available.
    >
    > Thanks for your help, I have done as you suggested above and it does
    > recognise the blank disc it shows up as 702 MB and 702 MB free space.

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 23, 2007
  8. Peter

    ded Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message

    Snip

    >> Your burner problem, lets do basics first.
    >> Place a blank disk in tray, close and leave for 30-60 seconds.
    >> You may hear some whirring etc
    >> Double click "My Computer"
    >> Listed will be drives etc, and capacity and free space etc.
    >> Is the DVD writer listed, and does it detail that it recognises a blank
    >> disk
    >> is loaded - it will detail free space available.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help, I have done as you suggested above and it does
    >> recognise the blank disc it shows up as 702 MB and 702 MB free space.

    > Peter

    So it's not a firmware issue, the disk is recognised.
    OK, now try and explain exactly how you try to burn a disk.
    Is it both audio CD's and DVD-video that fail during burn process,
    Can you create data disks.
    The meterial you are using to try and copy to disk, are you aware if they
    maybe copy protected - Digital Rights Management.
    Give an example, such as are the media files in a folder on your hard drive
    or are you attempting to copy from another disk in other DVD drive?
    With CD audio, what file type are the media you are using to try and create
    CD
    Are they WAV or CDA, or are you trying to burn an *audio CD* with MP3's,
    With DVD-video, are the media file types compatible, example being are you
    trying to burn a DVD-Video using downloaded Divx, RM, or .mov file types?
    Does your burning software recognise the burner and that a blank disk
    is inserted, what error messages do you receive when burning fails.
    Be precise and supply details.

    ded, Aug 23, 2007
  9. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message news:fakiqp$tgl$...

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> Sorry I should have said O/S is XP and I have tried Nero & Sonic with the
    >> same results, I haven't tried re-installing the software. I have been
    >> able to write to discs before on this computer. I have tried Philips
    >> DVD+RW, Woolworths CD Writer, Verbatim DVD+RW and Verbatim CD-RW. Thanks
    >> for your replies.
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>

    > OK Peter, first try to follow the flow of the thread, it is much easier if
    > you
    > don't top post, your reply goes below mine as mine did yours, etc
    > You appear to be using your default email account with BT to post into
    > usenet - see above how I've munged your addy, anyone who wants to
    > email you will know to remove "remove this", but automated bots won't.
    > Munging your addy is a basic method of avoiding spam flooding your inbox.
    >
    > Your burner problem, lets do basics first.
    > Place a blank disk in tray, close and leave for 30-60 seconds.
    > You may hear some whirring etc
    > Double click "My Computer"
    > Listed will be drives etc, and capacity and free space etc.
    > Is the DVD writer listed, and does it detail that it recognises a blank
    > disk
    > is loaded - it will detail free space available.

    Ded, How do I mung my e-mail address please, I am new to this.

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 24, 2007
  10. Peter

    ded Guest

    "Peter" <removed> wrote in message

    snip

    > Ded, How do I mung my e-mail address please, I am new to this.
    >
    > Peter

    You're using Outlook Express.
    Click on: Tools>Accounts
    In the ensuing dialog click on the "News" Tab
    This will detail what is used to post to usenet (here)
    You will see your account, click on it once so as to highlight it
    Then click on the "Properties" button
    In the properties dialog under General tab you will see your
    email address listed.
    You can mung it as in the example so as real posters know what
    to remove so as to reply, or you can enter a fake email addy if
    you don't want anyone in usent to email you direct, or enter a
    "disaposable" email account such as hotmail or yahoo etc.
    Once you have made the change, click the Apply button then the OK button.

    This munging of your BT email addy is only in effect for usenet/ng posts
    it dosen't effect your email addy in any other context.

    If you enter a fake email addy for usenet/ng posting, be careful not
    to infringe on any possible real addy.
    The usual bog standard type of fake email for usent posting would
    be something like ""

    ded, Aug 24, 2007
  11. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message news:fammii$aqd$...

    > "Peter" <removed> wrote in message
    >>

    > snip
    >

    >> Ded, How do I mung my e-mail address please, I am new to this.
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>>

    > You're using Outlook Express.
    > Click on: Tools>Accounts
    > In the ensuing dialog click on the "News" Tab
    > This will detail what is used to post to usenet (here)
    > You will see your account, click on it once so as to highlight it
    > Then click on the "Properties" button
    > In the properties dialog under General tab you will see your
    > email address listed.
    > You can mung it as in the example so as real posters know what
    > to remove so as to reply, or you can enter a fake email addy if
    > you don't want anyone in usent to email you direct, or enter a
    > "disaposable" email account such as hotmail or yahoo etc.
    > Once you have made the change, click the Apply button then the OK button.
    >
    > This munging of your BT email addy is only in effect for usenet/ng posts
    > it dosen't effect your email addy in any other context.
    >
    > If you enter a fake email addy for usenet/ng posting, be careful not
    > to infringe on any possible real addy.
    > The usual bog standard type of fake email for usent posting would
    > be something like ""

    Ded, Thanks very much for your advice it was very helpful and the
    re-writing was resolved by downloading new software.

    Thanks again, Peter

    Peter, Aug 24, 2007