    Any ideas why this is and how I'd fix it?

    I assume that if the drive itself was bad, it wouldn't recognize DVDs,
    and I assume they're harder to read or burn than are CDs.
    ., Dec 26, 2006

  2. Howdy!

    "." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a computer with a Liteon DVD/CD reader/writer drive. The thing
    > will read and write DVDs great, but can't tell the difference between a
    > CD and a maple leaf.
    >
    > Any ideas why this is and how I'd fix it?
    >
    > I assume that if the drive itself was bad, it wouldn't recognize DVDs,
    > and I assume they're harder to read or burn than are CDs.

    Not necessarily. The DVD and CD portions use different laser diodes, due to
    the different wavelengths.

    So, yes, I've seen several that the CD-only portion died but the DVD-only
    portion worked fine.

    And, yes, there's about 90% to 95% that's identical between the two - but
    that last 5 to 10% is ... sometimes crucial.

    So, yes, I'd look for a new DVD+-RW drive.

    You can buy new LiteOns at Newegg for under 36USD delivered (assuming that
    you're in the USA - and with the newserver being a RoadRunner server in
    Rochester, NY, I'd say that's a good possibility.)

    See http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106042

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 26, 2006

  3. .

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <UQ%jh.40194$>, Ralph Wade Phillips
    <> writes
    >Howdy!
    >
    >"." <> wrote in message
    >> I have a computer with a Liteon DVD/CD reader/writer drive. The thing
    >> will read and write DVDs great, but can't tell the difference between a
    >> CD and a maple leaf.
    >>
    >> Any ideas why this is and how I'd fix it?
    >>
    >> I assume that if the drive itself was bad, it wouldn't recognize DVDs,
    >> and I assume they're harder to read or burn than are CDs.

    >Not necessarily. The DVD and CD portions use different laser diodes, due to
    >the different wavelengths.
    >
    >So, yes, I've seen several that the CD-only portion died but the DVD-only
    >portion worked fine.
    >
    >And, yes, there's about 90% to 95% that's identical between the two - but
    >that last 5 to 10% is ... sometimes crucial.
    >
    >So, yes, I'd look for a new DVD+-RW drive.
    >
    >You can buy new LiteOns at Newegg for under 36USD delivered (assuming that
    >you're in the USA - and with the newserver being a RoadRunner server in
    >Rochester, NY, I'd say that's a good possibility.)
    >
    >See http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106042
    >
    >RwP

    My drive (can't remember what type it is) sometimes has difficulties
    recognising CDs.
    Try the following. It MAY help.

    Go to 'My Computer'
    Right click on the CD/DVD drive (D:, E: etc).
    Click on 'Properties'.
    Click on 'Recording' tab.
    Tick (check) 'Enable CD recording on this drive'.

    You have to have this ticked to do CD copying. However, sometimes it
    also seems to have to be ticked even to recognise the presence of a CD,
    and sometimes not. Try it both ways.

    Ian.

    Ian Jackson, Jan 2, 2007
  4. Ian Jackson wrote:
    > In message <UQ%jh.40194$>, Ralph Wade Phillips
    > <> writes
    >> Howdy!
    >>
    >> "." <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a computer with a Liteon DVD/CD reader/writer drive. The thing
    >>> will read and write DVDs great, but can't tell the difference between a
    >>> CD and a maple leaf.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas why this is and how I'd fix it?
    >>>
    >>> I assume that if the drive itself was bad, it wouldn't recognize DVDs,
    >>> and I assume they're harder to read or burn than are CDs.

    >> Not necessarily. The DVD and CD portions use different laser diodes,
    >> due to
    >> the different wavelengths.
    >>
    >> So, yes, I've seen several that the CD-only portion died but the DVD-only
    >> portion worked fine.
    >>
    >> And, yes, there's about 90% to 95% that's identical between the two - but
    >> that last 5 to 10% is ... sometimes crucial.
    >>
    >> So, yes, I'd look for a new DVD+-RW drive.
    >>
    >> You can buy new LiteOns at Newegg for under 36USD delivered (assuming
    >> that
    >> you're in the USA - and with the newserver being a RoadRunner server in
    >> Rochester, NY, I'd say that's a good possibility.)
    >>
    >> See http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106042
    >>
    >> RwP
    >>

    > My drive (can't remember what type it is) sometimes has difficulties
    > recognising CDs.
    > Try the following. It MAY help.
    >
    > Go to 'My Computer'
    > Right click on the CD/DVD drive (D:, E: etc).
    > Click on 'Properties'.
    > Click on 'Recording' tab.
    > Tick (check) 'Enable CD recording on this drive'.
    >
    > You have to have this ticked to do CD copying. However, sometimes it
    > also seems to have to be ticked even to recognise the presence of a CD,
    > and sometimes not. Try it both ways.
    >
    > Ian.

    That is only used if you are using Windows XP to do your CD/DVD writing.
    If you are using some other product, that may cause problems to have
    that checked.
    Marlin Singer, Jan 2, 2007