    let go.

    These Dick Smith cases certainly do not let the disc spin freely.

    Thoughts, anyone?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 15, 2004

  2. my local video shop sells empty DVD cases for 25c each - with free spinning
    hubs.

    I think the reasoning behind free spinning hubs is that they do not deform
    the disc as with the fixed hubs. Perhaps this is more important for
    DVD+R/+RW discs where the dyes are more fragile than pre-mastered discs.

    Jed Meisterdude, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Mutley Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >I just bought some slimline jewel cases from Dick Smith, which were
    >labelled as suitable for CDs or DVDs. However, I have read elsewhere
    >that DVD cases must have a hub that allows the disc to spin freely. The
    >hub in normal CD cases grips the disc such that, while you can still
    >turn it with your finger, it will not continue spinning freely when you
    >let go.
    >
    >These Dick Smith cases certainly do not let the disc spin freely.
    >
    >Thoughts, anyone?

    Are they the correct size covers. ie the same as the one that DVDs
    use??

    I bought some from Harvey Norman . They are black in color and the
    disk spins freely. They were not cheap.

    Mutley, Jul 15, 2004
  4. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:26:59 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >I just bought some slimline jewel cases from Dick Smith, which were
    >labelled as suitable for CDs or DVDs. However, I have read elsewhere
    >that DVD cases must have a hub that allows the disc to spin freely. The
    >hub in normal CD cases grips the disc such that, while you can still
    >turn it with your finger, it will not continue spinning freely when you
    >let go.
    >
    >These Dick Smith cases certainly do not let the disc spin freely.
    >
    >Thoughts, anyone?

    Utter Crap, why do your read such nonsense..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 15, 2004
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >Thoughts, anyone?

    It's not that important that the disc spin freely on the hub. After all,
    many DVDs do come in (dual) CD cases when bundled with CDs. It's more
    important that you be able to release the DVD from the hub without bending
    the disc. Because they're made from two "half thickness" discs glued
    together, flexing may damage the glue joint. Some DVD (and CD) cases are
    very poor in this respect.

    It's ironic that people who are too smart to engage in politics
    are governed by people who are not as smart.

    Don Hills, Jul 15, 2004