DVD/CableBox/RF modulator to an old Console TV

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by DominickTotino@gmail.com, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    So i got this free console tv and I am trying to hook up a dvd player
    to it. I got it working and everything but I also want to watch cable
    on it too. I bought a cheap cable box from ebay and as I am tryign to
    hook it up I am totally lost. If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it
    very much.

    The inputs/outputs on each item:
    DVD player: its currently hooked up to the RF Modulator via a/v cables.

    RF Modulator: besides the a/v inputs, it has ANT IN and TO TV. The
    modulator is conected to the TV from TO TV with a standard coaxial.
    Cable Box: Theres 2 coaxial connections, one that is INPUT and one that
    is OUTPUT. I unhooked the DVD player to try the cable out and it
    doesn't seem to be working. I had the OUTPUT to the TV and the INPUT
    running from the cable jack.

    I feel that I need to in some way connect the rf modulator to the cable
    box. So my question is how do i get my dvd player and cable box to run
    with me not having to unhook everything. if you need any other
    information please email me or message here. I really want to fix this.
    Thanks!

    Dominick
    , Jan 26, 2006

  2. MTBlood Guest

    What type of cable box do you have? Is it serial numbered? It is possible
    that you have an addressable cable box and it will not work if you bought it
    off of eBay. That is the cable company's way of minimizing cable theft. If
    that is what you have then it is working perfectly.

    If not then this is the correct configuration. The cable from the wall goes
    into your cable box input. The output goes to your RF Modulator input. From
    there you can use RCA cables from the output of your modulator to the input
    of your tv. The DVD rca cables go from the dvd output to the rca input of
    your modulator, and should use the same output cables that your cable box
    does. If that is all you have to connect why on earth don't you just use
    coaxial cable from wall, to cable box, to tv/ and use rca from the dvd to
    the tv, and do away with the modulator all together?

    MTBlood, Jan 26, 2006

  3. MTBlood Guest

    I just realized that you wrote that you have an old console tv. Is it cable
    ready or does it have twin lead inputs? If it has twin lead inputs then you
    will need an adaptor to use a coaxial cable.

    If it is old then it probably does not have RCA inputs. In that case this is
    the correct configuration. Cable from wall to cable box input, cable box
    input to modulator via coaxial cable, modulator output to tv input via
    coaxial cable. Then it's DVD output to modulator input via rca cables. The
    dvd signal should then should share the coaxial cable of the modulators
    output that the cable box does.

    MTBlood, Jan 26, 2006
  4. Guest

    MTBlood wrote:
    > I just realized that you wrote that you have an old console tv. Is it cable
    > ready or does it have twin lead inputs? If it has twin lead inputs then you
    > will need an adaptor to use a coaxial cable.
    >
    > If it is old then it probably does not have RCA inputs. In that case this is
    > the correct configuration. Cable from wall to cable box input, cable box
    > input to modulator via coaxial cable, modulator output to tv input via
    > coaxial cable. Then it's DVD output to modulator input via rca cables. The
    > dvd signal should then should share the coaxial cable of the modulators
    > output that the cable box does.
    > "MTBlood" <> wrote in message

    I have to check for the twin leads. It is def not cable ready but there
    is the plug for the coaxial so i assume i don't need the adaptor for
    the twin leads, I am pretty sure they are on the back of the TV though.
    When i got the TV it had a post it note on the back pointing to the
    coaxial and it said To VCR. But I assume that it meant if you didn't
    have a cable box. The cable box i bought is very very basic. its a
    Panasonic TZ-PC1303N. Here is a picture:
    http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/c0/c9/42_1_b.JPG . I am at work right
    now but when i ge thome i'll try what you wrote. Thanks!
    , Jan 26, 2006
  5. On 25 Jan 2006 20:13:26 -0800, wrote:

    >So i got this free console tv and I am trying to hook up a dvd player
    >to it. I got it working and everything but I also want to watch cable
    >on it too. I bought a cheap cable box from ebay and as I am tryign to
    >hook it up I am totally lost. If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it
    >very much.
    >
    >The inputs/outputs on each item:
    >DVD player: its currently hooked up to the RF Modulator via a/v cables.
    >
    >RF Modulator: besides the a/v inputs, it has ANT IN and TO TV. The
    >modulator is conected to the TV from TO TV with a standard coaxial.
    >Cable Box: Theres 2 coaxial connections, one that is INPUT and one that
    >is OUTPUT. I unhooked the DVD player to try the cable out and it
    >doesn't seem to be working. I had the OUTPUT to the TV and the INPUT
    >running from the cable jack.
    >
    >I feel that I need to in some way connect the rf modulator to the cable
    >box. So my question is how do i get my dvd player and cable box to run
    >with me not having to unhook everything. if you need any other
    >information please email me or message here. I really want to fix this.

    If the box is simply a converter and not a descrambling box, then the
    RF out should work on VHF station 2, 3 or 4. Hook up the RF out from
    the box to the ANT In on the RF modulator and hook up the DVD to the
    modulator and the modulator to the TV as before. There should be a
    switch on the modulator to go between the DVD player and the ANT in.
    Switch the box in and set the tuner on the TV to VHF 2, 3 or 4. The
    box may have a switch allowing you to select the VHF station the RF
    out is on.

    If it is a descrambling box, then it probably won't work. Based on
    the ebay listing I can see for this box, it appears to be a converter
    only. However, I have no way to confirm that.

    Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    | (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
    Gary A. Edelstein, Jan 26, 2006
  6. Guest

    its not a descrambler. thanks. I'll will update this posting tonight to
    see if it worked.
    , Jan 26, 2006
  7. Guest

    , Jan 26, 2006
  8. In article <>, says...

    >http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5806/5806345cv1a.jpg
    >
    >That is the back of my rf modulator. I don't think i can switch between
    >to tv and ant in. unless i am just missing it. I dont' think it is a
    >switch

    You're right, no switch. So, it must go to the antenna pass
    through when it is turned off or when there is no DVD video
    input signal detected. This can be confirmed in the instructions
    for the modulator.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat08063&id=1067388827858

    Gary E
    Gary A. Edelstein, Jan 26, 2006
  9. MTBlood Guest

    > I have to check for the twin leads. It is def not cable ready but there
    > is the plug for the coaxial so i assume i don't need the adaptor for
    > the twin leads, I am pretty sure they are on the back of the TV though.
    > When i got the TV it had a post it note on the back pointing to the
    > coaxial and it said To VCR. But I assume that it meant if you didn't
    > have a cable box. The cable box i bought is very very basic. its a
    > Panasonic TZ-PC1303N. Here is a picture:
    > http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/c0/c9/42_1_b.JPG . I am at work right
    > now but when i ge thome i'll try what you wrote. Thanks!

    Yeah that box is definately made before the days of addressability. In fact
    it was made for tv's just like the one you described, so they were able to
    receive channels over 13. You shouldn't have a problem getting it to work.
    Have you considered an AB switch?
    MTBlood, Jan 26, 2006
  10. Guest

    I connected everything like you guys suggested, and it doesn't work.
    Its just static still. MTBlood, how do i use an ABswitch?
    , Jan 26, 2006
  11. In article <>,
    says...

    >I connected everything like you guys suggested, and it doesn't work.
    >Its just static still. MTBlood, how do i use an ABswitch?

    I don't think you need an A/B switch; the modulator has 2 inputs that it
    can select from.

    I think it's one of 2 things:

    - You don't have it plugged into the correct input on the TV or the TV
    doesn't work. It should be a VHF 75 ohm F-connector or 300 ohm twin
    lead connector. Often the VHF is 75 ohm and the UHF is 300 ohm,
    although many older sets have both as 300 ohm. Try this - hook up the
    cable from the wall to the VHF connector and see if you get anything on
    the VHF band (2-13). If you do, then that's the proper connector. If
    not, look back there and see if there's another connector or some sort of
    switch to select between connectors. If you're sure it's the proper
    connector, try an antenna and see if you can get any over the air VHF
    station. If you do, then it should work with cable if the system has
    channels on VHF 2-13 (most still do).

    - If you get something on 2-13 from cable from the wall or over the air,
    then there is a problem with the RF modulator or the cable box. The
    modulator has a selection switch for what channel it will output the DVD
    on - make sure the TV is set to that channel and try playing a DVD. Once
    that works, turn off the DVD player and try the cable box on VHF 2,3 or
    4.

    Gary E
    Gary A. Edelstein, Jan 26, 2006
  12. Guest

    wrote:
    > http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5806/5806345cv1a.jpg
    >
    > That is the back of my rf modulator. I don't think i can switch between
    > to tv and ant in. unless i am just missing it. I dont' think it is a
    > switch

    The RF Modulator you have from Dynex has a switch built-in that
    automatically switches the output of "To TV" from the Ant-In coax input
    to the AV/S-Video Inputs when the DVD player is powered up. The switch
    that is labeled OHMS has to do with correcting the video signal coming
    from the dvd player for certain types of tv sets. It's best to leave
    it at 75 rather than 1k but you can flip it back and forth to see
    whichever gives a better picture onscreen from the dvd player. Also
    leave the Channel Selector switch on ch 3. Look on the back of the
    Panasonic cable box for a similar switch and make sure it is also set
    for channel 3.

    Try following the advise others have given about testing just the cable
    hooked directly to the tv or the cable box hooked directly to the tv.
    It's highly possible this old Panasonic cable box isn't even compatible
    with the signal coming from your cable company. It would also help if
    you could give us a brand name, model number, year of manufacture for
    your tv so we can help you better.

    hookup in this order. cable wire from wall to cable box to rf
    modulator to tv via coax cable with the tv tuned to ch 3. then dvd
    player to rf modulator via red/white/yellow av cable or just red/white
    audio and 1 S-Video cable.
    , Jan 27, 2006
  13. MTBlood Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I connected everything like you guys suggested, and it doesn't work.
    > Its just static still. MTBlood, how do i use an ABswitch?

    This may sound silly, but is the red LED light on the front of the modulator
    on? I noticed on many installations that even though the modulator was
    plugged in, it wasn't on. Make sure that light is on or you won't get
    anything.
    MTBlood, Jan 27, 2006
  14. catv tech Guest

    basic question ..... are you sure that the tv works? I haven't seen any
    kind of response that says that you can get a picture even without the
    modulator.
    catv tech, Jan 29, 2006