    drive, but thanks for the advice before you give it :)

    Cheers to everyone else for any explanation

    Gordon
    Gordon, Apr 30, 2009

  2. Gordon

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:12:00 +0100, "Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    > I have a very good spec PC it scores 5.9 on everything in Vista, all
    >singing and dancing and built by my own hand, but I am not here to brag, I
    >am here to ask a question (I know anyone with a little bit of know how can
    >knock a pc together, doesn't make them experts and I am not one)
    >
    >I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no matter what media
    >I am copying, burning, etc they never burn at full speed, 16x DVD disk burns
    >at around 7.5 to 9 and so on, same with CD's
    >
    >To be honest I am just wondering why, it isn't important, I'm just trying to
    >understand the way things work.
    >
    >Oh and before you answer this mail DanC, no I don't want to format my hard
    >drive, but thanks for the advice before you give it :)
    >
    >Cheers to everyone else for any explanation

    What speed is your burner?

    Doesn't matter if you use 100x media if your burner only burns at 1x.
    (Yes, I know neither isn't likely, but you get the point.)
    Evan Platt, Apr 30, 2009

  3. On Apr 30, 12:12 pm, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >        I have a very good spec PC it scores 5.9 on everything in Vista, all
    > singing and dancing and built by my own hand, but I am not here to brag, I
    > am here to ask a question (I know anyone with a little bit of know how can
    > knock a pc together, doesn't make them experts and I am not one)
    >
    > I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no matter what media
    > I am copying, burning, etc they never burn at full speed, 16x DVD disk burns
    > at around 7.5 to 9 and so on, same with CD's

    What brand of media are you using if you're using the cheap shit then
    that's could be one explaination.

    --- > SiTrE JoSePHEnnE MaGAnA, Apr 30, 2009
  4. Gordon

    thanatoid Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no
    > matter what media I am copying, burning, etc they never
    > burn at full speed, 16x DVD disk burns at around 7.5 to 9
    > and so on, same with CD's

    <SNIP>

    If you use good media and good burning software, you should be
    able to select the speed you want.

    HOWEVER, your discs will last longer and play in more machines
    (ie be more compatible) if you burn at a slower speed.

    What's your hurry?

    I burn CD-R's at 8x. I don't do DVD's because I am not
    interested in movies or 350,000 data files on one disc.

    --
    (Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
    I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with
    thanatoid, Apr 30, 2009
  5. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Gordon" <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no
    >> matter what media I am copying, burning, etc they never
    >> burn at full speed, 16x DVD disk burns at around 7.5 to 9
    >> and so on, same with CD's

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > If you use good media and good burning software, you should be
    > able to select the speed you want.
    >
    > HOWEVER, your discs will last longer and play in more machines
    > (ie be more compatible) if you burn at a slower speed.
    >
    > What's your hurry?
    >
    > I burn CD-R's at 8x. I don't do DVD's because I am not
    > interested in movies or 350,000 data files on one disc.
    >

    > --
    > (Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
    > I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with
    > Vista and is a "product feature".

    I use Roxio Software, There is no hurry I just wondered why it burns slower
    than it says on the tin, I think its 32x dvd writer maybe more, Disks are
    Imation which arent the best but not cheap either

    Thanks for the replies so far
    Gordon, Apr 30, 2009
  6. Gordon

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:42:16 +0100, "Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >I use Roxio Software, There is no hurry I just wondered why it burns slower
    >than it says on the tin, I think its 32x dvd writer maybe more, Disks are
    >Imation which arent the best but not cheap either

    You said the discs are 16x.

    You aren't going to get faster than 16x on 16x DVD's, regardless of
    the speed of the burner - without problems.

    Your burner isn't a 32x DVD burner, unless you have something hot off
    the assembly lines that hasn't even hit the mass market yet. Sony just
    introduced a 24x DVD burner early this year.
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41556/135/

    So first thing is check the speed your burner really is.
    Evan Platt, Apr 30, 2009
  7. Gordon

    chuckcar Guest

    "SJP" <> wrote in

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I have a very good spec PC it scores 5.9 on everything in Vista,
    >> all
    >> singing and dancing and built by my own hand, but I am not here to
    >> brag, I am here to ask a question (I know anyone with a little bit of
    >> know how can knock a pc together, doesn't make them experts and I am
    >> not one)
    >>
    >> I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no matter what
    >> media I am copying, burning, etc they never burn at full speed, 16x DVD
    >> disk burns at around 7.5 to 9 and so on, same with CD's
    >>
    >> To be honest I am just wondering why, it isn't important, I'm just
    >> trying to understand the way things work.
    >>
    >> Oh and before you answer this mail DanC, no I don't want to format my
    >> hard drive, but thanks for the advice before you give it :)
    >>
    >> Cheers to everyone else for any explanation
    >>
    >> Gordon

    > Is there a firmware update for your DVD Burner?

    The drive *works*. That's not the problem.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 30, 2009
  8. Gordon

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:55:55 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >The drive *works*. That's not the problem.

    Pissed that someone else stole your suggestion, chucktard?
    Evan Platt, May 1, 2009
  9. Gordon

    thanatoid Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in

    > I use Roxio Software, There is no hurry I just wondered why
    > it burns slower than it says on the tin, I think its 32x
    > dvd writer maybe more, Disks are Imation which arent the
    > best but not cheap either

    Imation used to be 3M. 3M used to be good, Imation is so-so.

    Use TDK or Fuji or Taiyo Yuden.

    Get rid of Roxio immediately. It ties with Nero for the worst
    burning software in the world.

    If you are willing to spend a few bucks, visit
    www.goldenhawk.com, or Google for free burner software -
    although a lot of it is crap - I have tried at least 15 programs
    and then paid for the goldenhawk one.

    thanatoid, May 1, 2009
  10. Gordon

    elaich Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in

    > I have a very good spec PC it scores 5.9 on everything in
    > Vista, all
    > singing and dancing and built by my own hand, but I am not here to
    > brag, I am here to ask a question (I know anyone with a little bit of
    > know how can knock a pc together, doesn't make them experts and I am
    > not one)

    Burning a CD or DVD takes over the computer. Doesn't matter what OS you are
    using. This goes down into the machine level.

    Why would anyone who built their own computer choose to run Vista?
    elaich, May 1, 2009
  11. Gordon

    83LowRider Guest

    "chuckcar" wrote

    >> Is there a firmware update for your DVD Burner?
    >>

    > The drive *works*. That's not the problem.

    For at least a year or more, every pack of discs I bought
    had a cardboard insert, instructing that the user should
    check for firmware updates in order to burn the faster
    16x discs.
    83LowRider, May 1, 2009
  12. Gordon

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 1 May 2009 03:16:27 -0400, "83LowRider"
    <> wrote:

    >For at least a year or more, every pack of discs I bought
    >had a cardboard insert, instructing that the user should
    >check for firmware updates in order to burn the faster
    >16x discs.

    Ditto for me too.
    Evan Platt, May 1, 2009
  13. Gordon

    chuckcar Guest

    "83LowRider" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" wrote
    >
    >>> Is there a firmware update for your DVD Burner?
    >>>

    >> The drive *works*. That's not the problem.

    > For at least a year or more, every pack of discs I bought
    > had a cardboard insert, instructing that the user should
    > check for firmware updates in order to burn the faster
    > 16x discs.

    And I bet they never promised to replace the doorstop the user would get
    if he didn't do it *exactly* right.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 1, 2009
  14. Gordon

    Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > Hi

    snip

    > Oh and before you answer this mail DanC, no I don't want to format my
    > hard drive, but thanks for the advice before you give it :)

    > Cheers to everyone else for any explanation

    > Gordon

    Dan C has been a dork on other newsgroups also!
    So much so that there are folks out there using Kill Filters just to
    avoid any missives he might venture to excrete.
    , May 2, 2009
  15. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> Hi

    > snip
    >

    >> Oh and before you answer this mail DanC, no I don't want to format my
    >> hard drive, but thanks for the advice before you give it :)

    >> Cheers to everyone else for any explanation

    >> Gordon

    > Dan C has been a dork on other newsgroups also!
    > So much so that there are folks out there using Kill Filters just to avoid
    > any missives he might venture to excrete.

    Ok, I'll call it a day with this one, it was just something that didn't bug
    me, I just wondered how and why.... the speed doesn't really bother me, I
    set it away to record and off I go and do my thing, not bothered how long it
    takes, I just wondered why the disk says 16x My DVD writer is Samsung 22X
    SpeedPlusT Serial ATA Internal DVD-Writer 22X Super-WriteMaster ( my first
    guess of the speed was wrong so I looked at the paperwork) As for Roxio, I
    used to use Nero and found it a pain the more it updated the harder it was
    to us, I find Roxio does what I want it to do, I put a disk in, decide what
    I want to burn, press a button and away it goes, why would I need something
    easier than that?
    So thanks for all the replies, all I wanted to know was if my DVD writer is
    22x and the disk is 16x and my PC is very good, top notch CPU and lots of
    memory, then why does it only burn at around 7x to 9x, I thought it might be
    the type of file I was writing, maybe not.

    Oh and why did I build a good PC then stick Vista on it? well the reason is
    simple, it works fine, fast and up to now reliable and when windows 7 comes
    out I will try that too, I have in the past tried other stuff open source
    and Linux of different types, they are all good, work well but don't do what
    I want them to do without me having to find drivers, search for software,
    install other software before I can install the software I want. For me you
    use the OS you like, I like Windows, it suits my needs as a musician

    Once again thanks for all the replies people.

    Take care

    Gordon
    Gordon, May 2, 2009
  16. Gordon

    83LowRider Guest

    "Gordon" wrote

    > Ok, I'll call it a day with this one, it was just something that didn't
    > bug me, I just wondered how and why.... the speed doesn't really bother
    > me, I set it away to record and off I go and do my thing, not bothered how
    > long it takes, I just wondered why the disk says 16x My DVD writer is
    > Samsung 22X SpeedPlusT Serial ATA Internal DVD-Writer 22X
    > Super-WriteMaster ( my first guess of the speed was wrong so I looked at
    > the paperwork) As for Roxio, I used to use Nero and found it a pain the
    > more it updated the harder it was to us, I find Roxio does what I want it
    > to do, I put a disk in, decide what I want to burn, press a button and
    > away it goes, why would I need something easier than that?

    My last stack of discs (16x) will not burn faster than 4x on my main
    computer. I've got three others running beside me, and on one of them
    they will burn at 8x. I've run into this before (it's the discs I presume)
    and the next stack will again, burn at full speed hopefully. As a
    check, try to burn one of the discs on another computer. Another
    free check -- download CDBurner XP. A free program, small, clean.
    If the disc burns 'slow' on another computer, it's the discs.. Likewise,
    if you try CDBurnerXP, and get a faster burn, it's your Roxio (not likely
    tho).
    83LowRider, May 2, 2009