DVD burning speed vs quality

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:20:19 GMT, "Camper" <>
    wrote:

    >> I expect OEM drives are shipped as just the bare drives with cardboard
    >> separators in a large carton, which increases the density for shipping
    >> purposes. Some OEM drives would also not have the manufacturer's
    >> brandname on the front of the drive whereas the retail product might.

    > I think you missed my point. Doesn't OEM stand for Original Equipment
    >Manufacturer? If so Sony should not be selling them as an OEM product as
    >Lite-on are the OEM.

    The term "OEM" has taken on a second meaning in the US. That second
    meaning is "not retail". Most suppliers offer two versions of their
    products: One is in a box with extras like a manual, cables, etc.; the
    other is in a shrink wrap package with nothing else, not even mounting
    screws. The latter has become known as an "OEM" unit.

    Sony has deliberately misapplied the term OEM to weasel out of backing
    products with its name on them.

    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell

    Bob, Sep 29, 2005

  2. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:54:25 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >> If the burner has Sony's name on it, then Sony is responsible. If
    >> Sony's name is on the internal ID, that means Sony installed new
    >> firmware, and that makes Sony responsible for firmware updates.

    >but why should they, I mean I understand that we would all like them to,
    >but where is their motivation to provide a newer firmware, when they
    >could just as easily sell a new drive, I mean how many %age wise of the
    >CD/CDRW/DVD/DVDRW market re-flash their firmware? I'd guess it would be
    >well under 10%, probably under 5%, and more than likely closer to 2-3% tops.

    The other makers provide support, and therefore they set the "industry
    standard".

    You can buy a Sony if you want, but be forewarned that Sony will not
    own up to the responsibility of taking care of it once you buy it.
    There is no reason to buy such a product when for less money you can
    buy the state-of-the-art NEC 3540 and get all the support you could
    ever ask for both from the manufacturer and from a large support
    group, including special firmware like LD 1.W5 which defeats Riplock.

    Bob, Sep 29, 2005

  3. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:39:54 +0000 (UTC), "Stephen Stewart"
    <> wrote:

    >> My claim is true. You go to the Sony site and find the "Sony DVD RW
    >> DW-18A". You contact Sony and ask them if they support the "Sony DVD
    >> RW DW-18A". They will say there is no such thing in their product
    >> line.

    >It's the OEM version of the Sony DRU-700 and the Liteon SOHW-832S.

    >You can crossflash it with the either the latest official Sony or Liteon
    >firmware depending on which you prefer.

    >I crossflashed my DW-D23A to the latest official Sony firmware converting it
    >to a DRU-710A with next to no effort.

    >Burning results have improved dramatically.

    Yes, I found that out by inquiring on the Directron.net forum.
    However, after discussing it with both the tech support and the RMA
    people at Directron, they advised that I return it and trade for an
    NEC 3540. So that's exactly what I did and I am very pleased.

    I am trying to warn people to stay away from Sony. I have about 100
    discs that no longer read in anything I try them in, and now I am
    going to have to reburn every one. Thanks, Sony. Pricks.

    Bob, Sep 29, 2005
  4. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:16:44 +1200, Brendan <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:35:14 GMT, Bob wrote:
    >
    >> I don't live in NZ (thank God).

    >We don't want you. Enjoy the incompetent war mongering government of your
    >violent racist hypocritical country.
    >
    >(apologies to the 5 decent people trapped there)

    You are referring to America, and I don't live there.

    I live in Texas, which is a whole other country.

    Texas is not violent, not racist, not hypocritical.

    Texas is the Western Division of the Promised Land.

    Bob, Sep 29, 2005
  5. GraB

    Marty Guest

    Somewhere around Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:49:44 GMT, while reading
    alt.video.dvd.tech, I think I thought I saw this post from
    (Bob):

    >On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:20:19 GMT, "Camper" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>> I expect OEM drives are shipped as just the bare drives with cardboard
    >>> separators in a large carton, which increases the density for shipping
    >>> purposes. Some OEM drives would also not have the manufacturer's
    >>> brandname on the front of the drive whereas the retail product might.

    >> I think you missed my point. Doesn't OEM stand for Original Equipment
    >>Manufacturer? If so Sony should not be selling them as an OEM product as
    >>Lite-on are the OEM.

    >The term "OEM" has taken on a second meaning in the US. That second
    >meaning is "not retail". Most suppliers offer two versions of their
    >products: One is in a box with extras like a manual, cables, etc.; the
    >other is in a shrink wrap package with nothing else, not even mounting
    >screws. The latter has become known as an "OEM" unit.

    I think OEM in this case means as a part of a computer system, which is a
    very loose interpretation of the term. To be real OEM, it should be
    "rebranded" with the end seller's name on it, if any. Sony is trying to
    play both ends by putting their name on it, but not taking responsibility. A
    good company shouldn't do that. A good company stands behind products with
    their name on it, because their name is worth something to them.

    Sony is not very smart about a lot of things. I don't know how they've kept
    such a good reputation as long as they have. Their TVs were great; I think
    that's carried them all this time. But now, more people are seeing them as
    overpriced.

    --
    Marty - public.forums (at) gmail (dot) com
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...

    Marty, Sep 30, 2005
  6. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:35:14 GMT, Bob wrote:
    >
    > > I don't live in NZ (thank God).

    > We don't want you. Enjoy the incompetent war mongering government of your
    > violent racist hypocritical country.
    >
    > (apologies to the 5 decent people trapped there)

    I'm not interested the slightest in turning this thread into a political
    flamefest, thankyou very much.

    Rob J, Sep 30, 2005
  7. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <T5Q_e.2497$>,
    says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message > then it's up to the system
    > assembler to provide it.
    > >
    > > I expect OEM drives are shipped as just the bare drives with cardboard
    > > separators in a large carton, which increases the density for shipping
    > > purposes. Some OEM drives would also not have the manufacturer's
    > > brandname on the front of the drive whereas the retail product might.

    > I think you missed my point. Doesn't OEM stand for Original Equipment
    > Manufacturer? If so Sony should not be selling them as an OEM product as
    > Lite-on are the OEM.

    I think you missed my point. The OEM can be anybody even if they don't
    manufacture the product. A lot of brands these days are contracted out
    for manufacture.

    Rob J, Sep 30, 2005
  8. GraB

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:58:08 GMT, Bob wrote:

    >>We don't want you. Enjoy the incompetent war mongering government of your
    >>violent racist hypocritical country.
    >>
    >>(apologies to the 5 decent people trapped there)

    > You are referring to America, and I don't live there.

    The USA actually.

    > I live in Texas, which is a whole other country.

    I beg to differ.

    > Texas is not violent, not racist, not hypocritical.

    Public records, broadcasts, hell even your entertainment shows otherwise.

    > Texas is the Western Division of the Promised Land.

    I am sure it is...

    Never the less, you are part of a federation that has recently shown levels
    of dishonesty, war mongering, belligerence, and illegality that beggers the
    mind.

    The only reason you have not been invaded and 'liberated' (as your
    federation has done countless times in other lands) is because you have
    more death dealing weapons of mass destruction than you allow anyone else.

    No bully lets the other kids get one up on him.

    No worries tho. It's looking like the fall of the Roman Empire currently.

    (and no, I'm not pro moslem/communist/totalitarian or anything either - I
    regard them and their un-civilised governments even lower than the USA;
    even though the two share more in common than they'd ever admit. I regard
    some of the northen european countries much higher than either - Sweden,
    Norway, Netherlands, etc).

    Nothing personal towards you, except your denigration of New Zealanders.
    Thought you deserved some back.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #409 +(4383)- [X]

    <DaZE> at my school.. the cop from DARE passed around 3 joints to show
    everyone... and he said "if i dont get all three of these back this schools
    getting locked down and everyones getting searched till i find it.." and
    like 30 minutes later when everyone got to see 'em and they got passed back
    the cop had 4

    Note: All my comments are copyright 30/09/2005 1:29:44 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 30, 2005
  9. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 03:27:57 +1200, Brendan <>
    wrote:

    >> I live in Texas, which is a whole other country.

    >I beg to differ.

    You would have to live in Texas to know that.

    >> Texas is not violent, not racist, not hypocritical.

    >Public records, broadcasts, hell even your entertainment shows otherwise.

    You need to at the hellholes like Washington, DC, New York, Chicago,
    Los Angeles, to name a few.

    >Never the less, you are part of a federation that has recently shown levels
    >of dishonesty, war mongering, belligerence, and illegality that beggers the
    >mind.

    Oh crap - another leftist queer pacifist.

    The ghost of Neville Chamberlain still stalks the halls of the
    Commonwealth.

    Bob, Sep 30, 2005
  10. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:53:39 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 03:27:57 +1200, Brendan <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>> I live in Texas, which is a whole other country.

    >>I beg to differ.

    >You would have to live in Texas to know that.
    >
    >>> Texas is not violent, not racist, not hypocritical.

    >>Public records, broadcasts, hell even your entertainment shows otherwise.

    >You need to at the hellholes like Washington, DC, New York, Chicago,
    >Los Angeles, to name a few.
    >
    >>Never the less, you are part of a federation that has recently shown levels
    >>of dishonesty, war mongering, belligerence, and illegality that beggers the
    >>mind.

    >Oh crap - another leftist queer pacifist.
    >
    >The ghost of Neville Chamberlain still stalks the halls of the
    >Commonwealth.

    Enough! What has this to do with DVD burning speed vs quality?
    Common ground here?

    GraB, Sep 30, 2005
  11. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <9cknpq3crtzx$>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:58:08 GMT, Bob wrote:
    >
    > >>We don't want you. Enjoy the incompetent war mongering government of your
    > >>violent racist hypocritical country.
    > >>
    > >>(apologies to the 5 decent people trapped there)

    > > You are referring to America, and I don't live there.

    > The USA actually.

    Brendan is the resident troll in nz.comp, best experienced as a killfile
    entry.

    Rob J, Sep 30, 2005
  12. GraB

    shannon Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <9cknpq3crtzx$>,
    > says...

    >>>You are referring to America, and I don't live there.

    >>The USA actually.

    > Brendan is the resident troll in nz.comp, best experienced as a killfile
    > entry.

    Thats a very Patrick Dunford like post.

    shannon, Oct 1, 2005
  13. GraB

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 11:22:00 +1200, shannon wrote:

    >>>The USA actually.

    >> Brendan is the resident troll in nz.comp, best experienced as a killfile
    >> entry.
    >>

    > Thats a very Patrick Dunford like post.

    lol, dunny has been trying to have a piece of me ever since I exposed his
    christian hypocrisy every day for months. He's now soo scared of me he
    can't even use his own name.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #329292 +(4352)- [X]

    <Batty> Euch, rap is just missing one letter. c.
    <zeep> rapc?
    <Batty> ...
    <Batty> Crap you idiot. you put the c on the other end
    <zeep> oic
    <Batty> Though you could also say it's missing an e
    <zeep> wtf is erap?
    * Batty bangs his head repeatedly against a wall

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/10/2005 4:30:39 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 1, 2005
  14. GraB

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:53:39 GMT, Bob wrote:

    > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 03:27:57 +1200, Brendan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> I live in Texas, which is a whole other country.

    >>I beg to differ.

    > You would have to live in Texas to know that.

    No, living in texas is what prevents knowing.

    >>> Texas is not violent, not racist, not hypocritical.

    >>Public records, broadcasts, hell even your entertainment shows otherwise.

    > You need to at the hellholes like Washington, DC, New York, Chicago,
    > Los Angeles, to name a few.

    Sorry, they all look the same to us.

    >>Never the less, you are part of a federation that has recently shown levels
    >>of dishonesty, war mongering, belligerence, and illegality that beggers the
    >>mind.

    > Oh crap - another leftist queer pacifist.

    Not a 'leftist' (a word only a yank could invent).

    Queer ? Thanks for your interest but no, pure hetro. Maybe you should look
    for some action in alt.gay.hamster-fetish ?

    A pacifist would not be beating you into your dusty homeland's pollutted
    plains as I am doing to you now.

    > The ghost of Neville Chamberlain still stalks the halls of the
    > Commonwealth.

    While you whine and moan about your betters, the rest of the world has lost
    interest. Your system does not work. You have a president that cheated his
    way into office, and cannot handle your major disasters but is happy to
    invade other countries, your government funds terrorists (Chile, 1970's),
    panama, well this list is endless.

    You must be proud to purchase your nations wealth at the expense of your
    poor and sick.

    The USA lost it's way somewhere around the time of the 1st world war.

    --

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/10/2005 4:15:30 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 1, 2005
  15. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <433dc899$>, says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    > > In article <9cknpq3crtzx$>,
    > > says...

    > >>The USA actually.

    > > Brendan is the resident troll in nz.comp, best experienced as a killfile
    > > entry.
    > >

    > Thats a very Patrick Dunford like post.

    Whatever. I just found a better newsreader with a killfile that works.
    Time to put all the Bling Blings and other people in it so that I don't
    have to read through so many messages.

    Rob J, Oct 1, 2005
  16. GraB

    shannon Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <433dc899$>, says...
    >
    >>Rob J wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <9cknpq3crtzx$>,
    >>>says...

    >>>Brendan is the resident troll in nz.comp, best experienced as a killfile
    >>>entry.
    >>>

    >>Thats a very Patrick Dunford like post.

    > Whatever. I just found a better newsreader with a killfile that works.
    > Time to put all the Bling Blings and other people in it so that I don't
    > have to read through so many messages.

    A group of your own.
    Thats nice for you. :)

    shannon, Oct 1, 2005
  17. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Rob J wrote:

    > >>Thats a very Patrick Dunford like post.

    > > Whatever. I just found a better newsreader with a killfile that works.
    > > Time to put all the Bling Blings and other people in it so that I don't
    > > have to read through so many messages.
    > >

    > A group of your own.
    > Thats nice for you. :)

    huh?

    Rob J, Oct 1, 2005
  18. GraB

    Bioboffin Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <433dc899$>, says...

    >> Thats a very Patrick Dunford like post.

    > Whatever. I just found a better newsreader with a killfile that works.
    > Time to put all the Bling Blings and other people in it so that I
    > don't have to read through so many messages.

    So what is it? (the newsreader, that is)

    Bioboffin, Oct 1, 2005
  19. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:48:31 GMT, "Bioboffin"
    <> wrote:

    >> Whatever. I just found a better newsreader with a killfile that works.
    >> Time to put all the Bling Blings and other people in it so that I
    >> don't have to read through so many messages.

    >So what is it? (the newsreader, that is)

    The one that comes with AOL.

    Bob, Oct 1, 2005
  20. GraB

    Bioboffin Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:48:31 GMT, "Bioboffin"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Whatever. I just found a better newsreader with a killfile that
    >>> works. Time to put all the Bling Blings and other people in it so
    >>> that I don't have to read through so many messages.

    >> So what is it? (the newsreader, that is)

    > The one that comes with AOL.

    Oh. Thanks for the reply.

    Bioboffin, Oct 1, 2005