DVD burning speed vs quality

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:50:48 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >OEM products frequently are not supported directly by the original
    > >manufacturer, they are supported by the distributor that sells them.

    > That's total bullshit and either you know it or you are so stupid that
    > continuing this discussion is as big a waste of time as Sony itself.

    It's not total bullshit. I have at work a HP Imagewriter Plus drive that
    hardware identifies as a Mitsumi. It's branded as HP and HP provide the
    support for it.

    > But for the record, I contacted the distributor and they said that
    > they do not support it because Sony is supposed to support it.

    Probably lying. They probably bought the drives cheap in some deal from
    another supplier who got them cheap off Sony in a deal that the supplier
    provided the support.

    We have Compaq and IBM PCs at work. The parts in them are made by
    various companies. For example the motherboard is made by MSI. Compaq
    and IBM provide all the updates for those machines, including
    motherboard and BIOS updates.

    This kind of situation happens all the time.

    > The
    > best I could find is some hack firmware site, which of course would
    > void whatever warranty there was.

    If you have any warranty then the dealer who sold you the drive is
    responsible for providing it. They can't cop out on a firmware update.
    You have rights under NZ law.

    Rob J, Sep 28, 2005

  2. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:50:48 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >Sony produce their own firmware for their rebadged Liteon drives. Asus
    > >produce their own firmware for their rebadged Pioneer drives. So what?
    > >The firmware for the Sony drive has to be different from Liteon,
    > >obviously, because the drive comes up with the Sony brand name and
    > >model.

    > >OEM products frequently are not supported directly by the original
    > >manufacturer, they are supported by the distributor that sells them.
    > >This is a common license restriction with OEM products. It is in reality
    > >no different from, say, ATI does not support Radeon graphics cards even
    > >though they have the ATI chipset in them. If you bought a Sony drive
    > >that was rebadged as some other brand then it is the business of that
    > >brand to support.

    > Then based on that you would agree that it is the business of Sony to
    > support the drive that Sony rebadged.

    If Sony sold those drives to another company on the basis that company
    would support the product they are not obligated to provide support.
    This is quite legal and commonplace.

    > >Sony doesn't have to support products of a non-Sony brand

    > It was not a non-Sony brand. The internal description that Nero
    > reported was "Sony DVD RW DW-18A".

    Means nothing. I have the HP drive that reports as Mitsumi. HP bought
    the drives, rebranded them and sold them as HP drives.

    Or I have the IBM Netvista with the MSI motherboard. IBM provides all
    the updates for that board, including the BIOS. This is a very common
    situation.

    What is the name on the sticker on the drive case? Is there any name on
    the front bezel? What name if any appears on the packaging on the case?
    Which is the dealer you bought it from, or was it included in a machine
    and what brand is that?

    Rob J, Sep 28, 2005

  3. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:50:48 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >You claimed Sony doesn't support its burners.

    > >I can go to the Sony website and see all the stuff they have there for
    > >their burners. Your claim is false.

    > My claim is true. You go to the Sony site and find the "Sony DVD RW
    > DW-18A". You contact Sony and ask them if they support the "Sony DVD
    > RW DW-18A". They will say there is no such thing in their product
    > line.

    You made a blanket claim implied to apply to all Sony's products,
    clearly a false statement.

    > >50% coasters? you must be kidding. LOL.

    > I am not kidding. We used several different media, including FujiFilm.
    >
    > We had a little better luck when we burned 8x media at 4x - only 25%
    > coasters. But all the discs we burned, either at 8x or 4x, are no good
    > after 3-9 months.
    >
    > >I've burned hundreds of discs and only ever made coasters because of
    > >faulty media.

    > I have burned several discs from those media samples with my NEC 3540
    > and not one coaster.
    >
    > >> I got a total piece of crap. That happens if it is from Sony.

    > >False.

    > You are the exception.
    >
    > Why buy from a company that will not support its products when for
    > less money you can have the best of the best, the NEC 3540.

    Did you buy this product directly from Sony? The dealer you bought it
    off is obligated by law to provide you with warranty support. Why
    haven't they?

    Rob J, Sep 28, 2005
  4. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:41:36 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >So you got a faulty drive. It happens.

    > It was so faulty that Sony disowned it and tried to stick it on
    > LiteOn. I stuck Sony with it by returning it under warranty.
    >
    > >> You are the lone exception.

    > >Rubbish.

    > I never have seen any good reports about Sony DVD burners. I have seen
    > plenty of bad reports.

    > >> Wait 9 months and see if the DVDs you burned still work.
    > >>
    > >> BTW, if Sony is such a great company in your estimation, why did they
    > >> tell me that the Sony DVD burner with Sony's name and model number on
    > >> it was not supported by Sony because it was made by LiteOn? Of course,
    > >> LiteOn would have nothing to do with it because it was Sony who
    > >> re-worked the firmware. But Sony would not honor the industry-standard
    > >> support agreements that all other vendors honor.

    > >What agreement is that?

    > If you buy a piece of hardware from a manufacturer with their name on
    > it, you expect support. That's the industry standard.
    >
    > >Sony provides support for all their rewritable drives. I checked and
    > >found there is a firmware update for my drives.

    > You will not find anything on the DW-18A, which is actually an LG
    > 832S.
    >
    > From the SonyUSA both the firmware driver site and the repair site:
    >
    > "We were unable to find an exact match for the model you entered."
    >
    > Why don't you contact Sony with that model number, which BTW was taken
    > directly from the ID of the unit internally, and see what they have to
    > say.

    Sony (AND MANY OTHER SUPPLIERS) produce OEM product, which they sell to
    other manufacturers, on the clear understanding the purchaser (the other
    manufacturer) provides support. That is the way the computer industry
    has operated for many, many, years. There are only a small number of
    manufacturers of virtually every component component you can buy. The
    manufacturers onsell them to provide the many brands in the marketplace
    and repairing/supporting them is the responsibility of the company that
    sells it to endusers.

    Checking this model out on the web I see listed that it is the OEM
    version of the Sony retail product.

    OEM drives and other products are not supposed to be sold directly to
    end users. It is not unusual for an OEM drive to be packaged in nothing
    more than a plastic bag, without any screws, cables, manual, software or
    box. For a drive going straight into a machine these things aren't
    needed and the software comes from another supplier.

    Sony aren't obligated to provide any firmware updates for a drive. if
    the model number doesn't come up it means they don't have any updates
    available for that product.

    The drives I bought were the retail product and came in full retail
    packaging with an excellent software package included on a Sony branded
    CD.

    Rob J, Sep 28, 2005
  5. GraB

    Camper Guest

    "Andrew Gerald" <> wrote in message
    >> Went straight for a Pioneer 107 and never looked back

    > I also have a Pioneer 107 and 108. I find the 108 isn't quite as good
    > in terms of reading DVD's, not quite as fast as the 107 and sometimes
    > has trouble reading DVD's which the 107 reads fine.
    >
    > I thought it might just be my unit but I heard that the 109 is even
    > worse, though I've never tried one myself. Has anyone come across this
    > before?

    My 109 can read discs that the 106 will not. Original discs are cheap Laser
    burnt with a Sony with labels attached. My players stopped playing them
    after a few months, the 106 choked on them but the 109 had no problems
    ripping them. The mysteries of life!

    Camper, Sep 28, 2005
  6. GraB

    Camper Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:27:38 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>>I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    >>>crap.

    >>I dunno, I've got one of their stereos, and it's been going well for
    >>the last 5 years.

    > It's pretty hard to screw up a stereo.

    Kenwood and Panasonic have managed to in my home.

    Camper, Sep 28, 2005
  7. GraB

    Camper Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:41:36 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >So you got a faulty drive. It happens.

    >> It was so faulty that Sony disowned it and tried to stick it on
    >> LiteOn. I stuck Sony with it by returning it under warranty.

    >> >Rubbish.

    >> I never have seen any good reports about Sony DVD burners. I have seen
    >> plenty of bad reports.

    >> >What agreement is that?

    >> If you buy a piece of hardware from a manufacturer with their name on
    >> it, you expect support. That's the industry standard.
    >>
    >> >Sony provides support for all their rewritable drives. I checked and
    >> >found there is a firmware update for my drives.

    >> You will not find anything on the DW-18A, which is actually an LG
    >> 832S.
    >>
    >> From the SonyUSA both the firmware driver site and the repair site:
    >>
    >> "We were unable to find an exact match for the model you entered."
    >>
    >> Why don't you contact Sony with that model number, which BTW was taken
    >> directly from the ID of the unit internally, and see what they have to
    >> say.

    > Sony (AND MANY OTHER SUPPLIERS) produce OEM product, which they sell to
    > other manufacturers, on the clear understanding the purchaser (the other
    > manufacturer) provides support. That is the way the computer industry
    > has operated for many, many, years. There are only a small number of
    > manufacturers of virtually every component component you can buy. The
    > manufacturers onsell them to provide the many brands in the marketplace
    > and repairing/supporting them is the responsibility of the company that
    > sells it to endusers.

    How can they produce an OEM product when they don't even produce the drives?

    Camper, Sep 28, 2005
  8. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:05:18 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >> That's total bullshit and either you know it or you are so stupid that
    >> continuing this discussion is as big a waste of time as Sony itself.

    >It's not total bullshit. I have at work a HP Imagewriter Plus drive that
    >hardware identifies as a Mitsumi. It's branded as HP and HP provide the
    >support for it.

    You have to be incredibly dense.

    The Sony was branded as Sony, but it was Sony that would not provide
    the support for it.

    Do try to get the discussion down correctly.

    >If you have any warranty then the dealer who sold you the drive is
    >responsible for providing it. They can't cop out on a firmware update.
    >You have rights under NZ law.

    I don't live in NZ (thank God).

    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell

    Bob, Sep 28, 2005
  9. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:13:09 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >What is the name on the sticker on the drive case? Is there any name on
    >the front bezel? What name if any appears on the packaging on the case?
    >Which is the dealer you bought it from, or was it included in a machine
    >and what brand is that?

    SONY!

    SONY!

    SONY!

    <jeez>

    I am beginning to think mental retardation comes from shagging sheep.

    Bob, Sep 28, 2005
  10. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:47:49 GMT, "Camper" <>
    wrote:

    >> It's pretty hard to screw up a stereo.

    >Kenwood and Panasonic have managed to in my home.

    Panasonic used to be one of the best electronics companies around. But
    the last Panasonic I got, a simple 4-head VCR, fell apart out of the
    box and its replacement only lasted a couple years. I have, therefore,
    been forced to re-evaluate my decade's long love affair with
    Panasonic.

    Bob, Sep 28, 2005
  11. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:05:18 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >> That's total bullshit and either you know it or you are so stupid that
    > >> continuing this discussion is as big a waste of time as Sony itself.

    > >It's not total bullshit. I have at work a HP Imagewriter Plus drive that
    > >hardware identifies as a Mitsumi. It's branded as HP and HP provide the
    > >support for it.

    > You have to be incredibly dense.
    >
    > The Sony was branded as Sony, but it was Sony that would not provide
    > the support for it.
    >
    > Do try to get the discussion down correctly.

    Oh, I have it totally correctly mate. You don't seem to understand that
    (a) Sony are not obligated to provide any firmware updates for this
    model
    (b) there may not have been any issued yet if it is a newish model
    (c) Sony may have contracted with another company to provide the
    support, a common arrangement with OEM products

    Rob J, Sep 28, 2005
  12. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:13:09 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >What is the name on the sticker on the drive case? Is there any name on
    > >the front bezel? What name if any appears on the packaging on the case?
    > >Which is the dealer you bought it from, or was it included in a machine
    > >and what brand is that?

    > SONY!
    >
    > SONY!
    >
    > SONY!
    >
    > <jeez>
    >
    > I am beginning to think mental retardation comes from shagging sheep.

    You can think what you like, time wasting cretin. Say hello to my
    killfile.

    Rob J, Sep 28, 2005
  13. GraB

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    (Bob) wrote:

    |I am beginning to think mental retardation comes from shagging sheep.

    Put those velcro mittens down and step away from the animal, sir.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Sep 28, 2005
  14. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:08:33 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >> The Sony was branded as Sony, but it was Sony that would not provide
    >> the support for it.

    >> Do try to get the discussion down correctly.

    >Oh, I have it totally correctly mate. You don't seem to understand that

    It is you who is completely confused.

    >(a) Sony are not obligated to provide any firmware updates for this
    >model

    If the burner has Sony's name on it, then Sony is responsible. If
    Sony's name is on the internal ID, that means Sony installed new
    firmware, and that makes Sony responsible for firmware updates.

    LiteOn, the actual manufacturers of the burner, is not responsible
    once Sony branded the burner, both externally and internally.

    Why do you have this incredible comprehension problem?

    IT'S A SONY, REPEAT SONY, BURNER. IT SAYS "SONY" ON THE UNIT ITSELF,
    IT WAS SOLD AS A SONY PRODUCT BY DIRECTRON AND THE INTERNAL ID SAYS
    "SONY".

    What's it going to take for you to admit you are mistaken.

    >(b) there may not have been any issued yet if it is a newish model

    Last October 2004 is hardly "newish".

    >(c) Sony may have contracted with another company to provide the
    >support, a common arrangement with OEM products

    You are not paying attention. I said I contacted LiteOn and they said
    that Sony was responsible since it had Sony's name on it.

    Bob, Sep 28, 2005
  15. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:09:15 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >You can think what you like, time wasting cretin. Say hello to my
    >killfile.

    Now I understand - this poster is a 13 year old playing with his
    mommy's computer.

    Killfiles are juvenile. But good riddance anyway.

    Best for you to stay out of the sheep herd and spend more time reading
    books.

    Bob, Sep 28, 2005
  16. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <L0s_e.18242$>,
    says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> It was so faulty that Sony disowned it and tried to stick it on
    > >> LiteOn. I stuck Sony with it by returning it under warranty.

    > >> I never have seen any good reports about Sony DVD burners. I have seen
    > >> plenty of bad reports.

    > >> If you buy a piece of hardware from a manufacturer with their name on
    > >> it, you expect support. That's the industry standard.

    > >> You will not find anything on the DW-18A, which is actually an LG
    > >> 832S.
    > >>
    > >> From the SonyUSA both the firmware driver site and the repair site:
    > >>
    > >> "We were unable to find an exact match for the model you entered."
    > >>
    > >> Why don't you contact Sony with that model number, which BTW was taken
    > >> directly from the ID of the unit internally, and see what they have to
    > >> say.

    > > Sony (AND MANY OTHER SUPPLIERS) produce OEM product, which they sell to
    > > other manufacturers, on the clear understanding the purchaser (the other
    > > manufacturer) provides support. That is the way the computer industry
    > > has operated for many, many, years. There are only a small number of
    > > manufacturers of virtually every component component you can buy. The
    > > manufacturers onsell them to provide the many brands in the marketplace
    > > and repairing/supporting them is the responsibility of the company that
    > > sells it to endusers.

    > How can they produce an OEM product when they don't even produce the drives?

    Manufacturers/suppliers can produce the same basic drive in an OEM
    package and a retail package. This is based on what I've seen in optical
    and hard drives. For example, Seagate produces the SeaShield protection
    shield on its HDDs that may only be present in the retail package.

    I've bought both retail and OEM packaged optical drives, and the OEM
    package is usually just a bare plastic bag with nothing else in it
    except the drive. The retail package will have in it the screws, maybe
    an IDE or sound cable, and a software CD or even a blank rewriteable
    depending on what they want to give you, and all sitting inside a nicely
    coloured box.

    Some OEM packages even of writeable drives don't include any software,
    then it's up to the system assembler to provide it.

    I expect OEM drives are shipped as just the bare drives with cardboard
    separators in a large carton, which increases the density for shipping
    purposes. Some OEM drives would also not have the manufacturer's
    brandname on the front of the drive whereas the retail product might.

    Rob J, Sep 28, 2005
  17. Bob wrote:
    >>(a) Sony are not obligated to provide any firmware updates for this
    >>model

    > If the burner has Sony's name on it, then Sony is responsible. If
    > Sony's name is on the internal ID, that means Sony installed new
    > firmware, and that makes Sony responsible for firmware updates.

    but why should they, I mean I understand that we would all like them to,
    but where is their motivation to provide a newer firmware, when they
    could just as easily sell a new drive, I mean how many %age wise of the
    CD/CDRW/DVD/DVDRW market re-flash their firmware? I'd guess it would be
    well under 10%, probably under 5%, and more than likely closer to 2-3% tops.

    It is hardly worth chasing a market so small.

    >>(b) there may not have been any issued yet if it is a newish model

    > Last October 2004 is hardly "newish".

    under a year is certainly not old.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 28, 2005
  18. "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:50:48 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    >>You claimed Sony doesn't support its burners.

    >>I can go to the Sony website and see all the stuff they have there for
    >>their burners. Your claim is false.

    > My claim is true. You go to the Sony site and find the "Sony DVD RW
    > DW-18A". You contact Sony and ask them if they support the "Sony DVD
    > RW DW-18A". They will say there is no such thing in their product
    > line.

    It's the OEM version of the Sony DRU-700 and the Liteon SOHW-832S.

    You can crossflash it with the either the latest official Sony or Liteon
    firmware depending on which you prefer.

    I crossflashed my DW-D23A to the latest official Sony firmware converting it
    to a DRU-710A with next to no effort.

    Burning results have improved dramatically.

    Stephen

    Stephen Stewart, Sep 28, 2005
  19. GraB

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:35:14 GMT, Bob wrote:

    > I don't live in NZ (thank God).

    We don't want you. Enjoy the incompetent war mongering government of your
    violent racist hypocritical country.

    (apologies to the 5 decent people trapped there)

    --

    .... Brendan

    #12431 +(4215)- [X]

    <Hiroe> he was dressed as a big fuckin devil
    <Hiroe> like, HUGE costume
    <Hiroe> 8-foot lizard wings, giant horns on the head
    <Hiroe> at some anime con in california
    <Hiroe> they were double booked with a southern Baptist group in the same
    hotel
    <Hiroe> he's riding the elevator down to the con space
    <Hiroe> doors open, little old baptist woman standing there
    <Hiroe> he just says "Going Down" in his best evil voice

    Note: All my comments are copyright 29/09/2005 11:15:55 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 29, 2005
  20. GraB

    Camper Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message > then it's up to the system
    assembler to provide it.

    > I expect OEM drives are shipped as just the bare drives with cardboard
    > separators in a large carton, which increases the density for shipping
    > purposes. Some OEM drives would also not have the manufacturer's
    > brandname on the front of the drive whereas the retail product might.

    I think you missed my point. Doesn't OEM stand for Original Equipment
    Manufacturer? If so Sony should not be selling them as an OEM product as
    Lite-on are the OEM.

    Camper, Sep 29, 2005