DVD burning speed vs quality

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 04:04:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    > >>Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
    > >>readable.

    >
    > >I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
    > >change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.

    >
    > I wish I were as fortunate as you. I am going thru 9 months of
    > burnings and so far most are defective.
    >
    > Once I started using the NEC 3540, all the discs are good. I burned
    > the same collection of blanks used with the Sony and they are OK.
    >
    > I have no choice but to conclude that the Sony was defective, at least
    > in terms of those discs, some of which were Fuji-branded.
    >
    > As soon as I get rid of the old blanks on one-time viewing projects, I
    > am sticking with Verbatim 16x burned at 8x with the NEC 3540. Those
    > should last a lifetime.
    >
    > Sam's Club has 16x Verbatims (MCC 03RG20 which have been thoroughly
    > tested by CDFreaks) for a little over $40 per 100. That's an
    > incredible bargain for 16x DVD +/-R discs, especially considering the
    > high quality of Verbatim Mitsubishi media.


    The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
    quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.

    I have a Sony DRU720A. I checked out all the reviews for this model
    before buying it. There are far fewer errors produced than some of the
    BTCs and Samsungs and the like that people seem to fall over themselves
    to buy just because they're cheap.
     
    Rob J, Sep 26, 2005
    #21
    1. Advertising

  2. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:33:52 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 04:04:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >>Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
    >> >>readable.

    >>
    >> >I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
    >> >change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.

    >>
    >> I wish I were as fortunate as you. I am going thru 9 months of
    >> burnings and so far most are defective.
    >>
    >> Once I started using the NEC 3540, all the discs are good. I burned
    >> the same collection of blanks used with the Sony and they are OK.
    >>
    >> I have no choice but to conclude that the Sony was defective, at least
    >> in terms of those discs, some of which were Fuji-branded.
    >>
    >> As soon as I get rid of the old blanks on one-time viewing projects, I
    >> am sticking with Verbatim 16x burned at 8x with the NEC 3540. Those
    >> should last a lifetime.
    >>
    >> Sam's Club has 16x Verbatims (MCC 03RG20 which have been thoroughly
    >> tested by CDFreaks) for a little over $40 per 100. That's an
    >> incredible bargain for 16x DVD +/-R discs, especially considering the
    >> high quality of Verbatim Mitsubishi media.

    >
    >The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
    >quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.
    >
    >I have a Sony DRU720A. I checked out all the reviews for this model
    >before buying it. There are far fewer errors produced than some of the
    >BTCs and Samsungs and the like that people seem to fall over themselves
    >to buy just because they're cheap.


    It seems that it is important to have the latest available firmware
    for the Sony DVD burners. Is it your experience with the Mit/Verb
    discs being 'patchy'? Common experience seems to indicate otherwise.
    But it also seems you have to match the media to your burner. Some
    media give excellent results on one burner but mediocre on another.
    Find what works best with your burner.
     
    GraB, Sep 27, 2005
    #22
    1. Advertising

  3. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:33:52 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >says...
    > >> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 04:04:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >>Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
    > >> >>readable.
    > >>
    > >> >I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
    > >> >change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.
    > >>
    > >> I wish I were as fortunate as you. I am going thru 9 months of
    > >> burnings and so far most are defective.
    > >>
    > >> Once I started using the NEC 3540, all the discs are good. I burned
    > >> the same collection of blanks used with the Sony and they are OK.
    > >>
    > >> I have no choice but to conclude that the Sony was defective, at least
    > >> in terms of those discs, some of which were Fuji-branded.
    > >>
    > >> As soon as I get rid of the old blanks on one-time viewing projects, I
    > >> am sticking with Verbatim 16x burned at 8x with the NEC 3540. Those
    > >> should last a lifetime.
    > >>
    > >> Sam's Club has 16x Verbatims (MCC 03RG20 which have been thoroughly
    > >> tested by CDFreaks) for a little over $40 per 100. That's an
    > >> incredible bargain for 16x DVD +/-R discs, especially considering the
    > >> high quality of Verbatim Mitsubishi media.

    > >
    > >The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
    > >quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.
    > >
    > >I have a Sony DRU720A. I checked out all the reviews for this model
    > >before buying it. There are far fewer errors produced than some of the
    > >BTCs and Samsungs and the like that people seem to fall over themselves
    > >to buy just because they're cheap.

    >
    > It seems that it is important to have the latest available firmware
    > for the Sony DVD burners. Is it your experience with the Mit/Verb
    > discs being 'patchy'? Common experience seems to indicate otherwise.
    > But it also seems you have to match the media to your burner. Some
    > media give excellent results on one burner but mediocre on another.
    > Find what works best with your burner.


    I read the reviews. I use Datalifeplus CD-R and CD-RW discs. The reviews
    of these are always good. The same kind of reviews of their DVD media
    are quite uneven by comparison.

    I only have a few Imation DVD+RW discs that I use here for backups, the
    drive gets used more for playback than it does for burning DVD discs.
     
    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005
    #23
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest


    >> >The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
    >> >quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.
    >> >
    >> >I have a Sony DRU720A. I checked out all the reviews for this model
    >> >before buying it. There are far fewer errors produced than some of the
    >> >BTCs and Samsungs and the like that people seem to fall over themselves
    >> >to buy just because they're cheap.

    >>
    >> It seems that it is important to have the latest available firmware
    >> for the Sony DVD burners. Is it your experience with the Mit/Verb
    >> discs being 'patchy'? Common experience seems to indicate otherwise.
    >> But it also seems you have to match the media to your burner. Some
    >> media give excellent results on one burner but mediocre on another.
    >> Find what works best with your burner.

    >
    >I read the reviews. I use Datalifeplus CD-R and CD-RW discs. The reviews
    >of these are always good. The same kind of reviews of their DVD media
    >are quite uneven by comparison.
    >
    >I only have a few Imation DVD+RW discs that I use here for backups, the
    >drive gets used more for playback than it does for burning DVD discs.
    >

    I use Mitsubishi 4x DVD+RW discs for data backing up. When I scan
    those after a burn with KProbe2 they come out as good as any DVD+R I
    have tested.
     
    GraB, Sep 27, 2005
    #24
  5. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:33:52 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
    >quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.


    That goes against the comments of CDFreaks. It is second in a survey,
    with Taiyo Yuden first. The rest are not even close.

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146146

    Taiyo Yuden: 266 votes (58%)
    Verbatim: 88 votes (19%)
    Ritek: 27 (6%)
    Ricoh: 16 (3%)
    Maxell: 16 (3%)

    >I have a Sony DRU720A.


    Now I know why you are having problems with Verbatim. Sony is a piece
    of total crap.


    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
     
    Bob, Sep 27, 2005
    #25
  6. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:05:42 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >It seems that it is important to have the latest available firmware
    >for the Sony DVD burners.


    Sony doesn't support its burners, so you can't get the latest
    firmware.

    > Is it your experience with the Mit/Verb discs being 'patchy'?


    Notice that the OP offered no explanation of what he meant by
    "patchy". But I know what he means because we had a Sony burner and
    now most of the discs we burnt won't work. I have to redo about 50
    discs.

    >Common experience seems to indicate otherwise.


    Yeah, the CDFreaks indicate otherwise. But they are smart enough not
    to use Sony burners.

    >But it also seems you have to match the media to your burner.


    There is no media match for defective burners.


    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
     
    Bob, Sep 27, 2005
    #26
  7. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:58:25 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >the drive gets used more for playback than it does for burning DVD discs.


    That's because it is a Sony, which is no good for burning DVDs.



    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
     
    Bob, Sep 27, 2005
    #27
  8. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:13:56 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >I use Mitsubishi 4x DVD+RW discs for data backing up. When I scan
    >those after a burn with KProbe2 they come out as good as any DVD+R I
    >have tested.


    Can KProbe2 be used with a burner other than LiteOn, eg, NEC 3540?

    How does it compare with Nero's "CD-DVD Speed" Scan utility?


    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
     
    Bob, Sep 27, 2005
    #28
  9. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:40:14 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:13:56 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>I use Mitsubishi 4x DVD+RW discs for data backing up. When I scan
    >>those after a burn with KProbe2 they come out as good as any DVD+R I
    >>have tested.

    >
    >Can KProbe2 be used with a burner other than LiteOn, eg, NEC 3540?
    >
    >How does it compare with Nero's "CD-DVD Speed" Scan utility?


    It was made to work with Lite-On drives and is more informative than
    the Nero one, which I used to use. EG: I had some Laser DVD-R discs
    that passed with the Nero scan but when tested with KProbe2 had a
    totally unacceptable amount of errors:

    Laser -R (SKC) 4x
    PI 976.1
    PIF 107.7

    Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
    PI 5.75
    PIF 0.13

    PI = Parity Inner
    PIF = Parity Inner Failure

    PI errors are the average per 8 blocks
    PIF are the average per block

    280 PI errors and 4 PIFs are considered acceptable, so you can see how
    bad the Laser disc is compared to the Taiyo Yuden, even though the PC
    can still read them (but my standalone can't without problems).

    The KProbe2 site has a list of alternatives for non-Lite-On drives.
     
    GraB, Sep 27, 2005
    #29
  10. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:33:52 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
    > >quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.

    >
    > That goes against the comments of CDFreaks. It is second in a survey,
    > with Taiyo Yuden first. The rest are not even close.
    >
    > http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146146
    >
    > Taiyo Yuden: 266 votes (58%)
    > Verbatim: 88 votes (19%)
    > Ritek: 27 (6%)
    > Ricoh: 16 (3%)
    > Maxell: 16 (3%)
    >
    > >I have a Sony DRU720A.

    >
    > Now I know why you are having problems with Verbatim. Sony is a piece
    > of total crap.


    The only crap referred to in this post are your claims. I have never
    burned any Verbatim media except CD-R and CD-RW, with which I have
    experienced no problems.

    I have never experienced any problems with Sony optical drives. We have
    a suite of 30 PCs at work fitted with Sony CD-RW drives, which have
    given no trouble at all. I have two Sony drives at home, a CRX230EE CDRW
    drive and the DRU720A, and another DRU720A and CRX320 CDRW/DVDROM at
    work, none of which has been any trouble whatsoever.
     
    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005
    #30
  11. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:05:42 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    > >It seems that it is important to have the latest available firmware
    > >for the Sony DVD burners.

    >
    > Sony doesn't support its burners, so you can't get the latest
    > firmware.


    Absolute rubbish. Drivers and updates can be downloaded from
    http://sony.storagesupport.com/

    All you can pin on Sony is that they don't issue dozens of updates like
    Liteon does.

    >
    > > Is it your experience with the Mit/Verb discs being 'patchy'?

    >
    > Notice that the OP offered no explanation of what he meant by
    > "patchy". But I know what he means because we had a Sony burner and
    > now most of the discs we burnt won't work. I have to redo about 50
    > discs.
    >
    > >Common experience seems to indicate otherwise.

    >
    > Yeah, the CDFreaks indicate otherwise. But they are smart enough not
    > to use Sony burners.
    >
    > >But it also seems you have to match the media to your burner.

    >
    > There is no media match for defective burners.


    So you got a defective burner. It happens. Some of the reviews I read
    (of various brands and models) indicated the reviewers got a defective
    product. The reviews I read of the DRU-720, before I bought two,
    indicated a very good level of performance.
     
    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005
    #31
  12. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:58:25 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >the drive gets used more for playback than it does for burning DVD discs.

    >
    > That's because it is a Sony, which is no good for burning DVDs.


    Not in my experience, or that of the reviewer at CDFreaks.

    We were easily able to read the DVD+RW discs in an old Sony DVD player
    which doesn't even play CD-RW discs.
     
    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005
    #32
  13. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:59:56 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >> Now I know why you are having problems with Verbatim. Sony is a piece
    >> of total crap.


    >The only crap referred to in this post are your claims.


    Then how do you explain why I have a whole bunch of DVDs that we
    burned with a Sony DVD burner that we cannot read? It wasn't the media
    because we used quality FujiFilm media.

    >I have never experienced any problems with Sony optical drives.


    You are the lone exception.

    >We have
    >a suite of 30 PCs at work fitted with Sony CD-RW drives, which have
    >given no trouble at all.


    I never said anything about CD-RW drives. You are raising a strawman.

    >I have two Sony drives at home, a CRX230EE CDRW
    >drive and the DRU720A, and another DRU720A and CRX320 CDRW/DVDROM at
    >work, none of which has been any trouble whatsoever.


    Wait 9 months and see if the DVDs you burned still work.

    BTW, if Sony is such a great company in your estimation, why did they
    tell me that the Sony DVD burner with Sony's name and model number on
    it was not supported by Sony because it was made by LiteOn? Of course,
    LiteOn would have nothing to do with it because it was Sony who
    re-worked the firmware. But Sony would not honor the industry-standard
    support agreements that all other vendors honor.

    Sony is a complete piece of crap.



    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
     
    Bob, Sep 27, 2005
    #33
  14. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:10:29 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >> Sony doesn't support its burners, so you can't get the latest
    >> firmware.


    >Absolute rubbish. Drivers and updates can be downloaded from
    >http://sony.storagesupport.com/


    >All you can pin on Sony is that they don't issue dozens of updates like
    >Liteon does.


    When I went to the Sony website for the firmware, the model of the
    drive I had wasn't listed. So I used the online chat facility to
    inquire about how to get the firmware. I was told that Sony did not
    support the drive I had despite the fact that it had Sony's name on
    it. The chat person said it was an OEM unit which means Sony does not
    support it - in fact there was no part number in Sony's website
    because Sony disowns OEM products. Of course LiteOn - the makers of
    the drive - would not support it because Sony modified the firmware.

    So your comments are what's "absolute rubbish". You might want to get
    the facts before you make a total ass out of yourself.

    >So you got a defective burner.


    There was nothing to indicate it was defective other than it made
    about 50% coasters immediately and 50% after the discs aged for 3-9
    months.

    >It happens.


    I got a total piece of crap. That happens if it is from Sony.


    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
     
    Bob, Sep 27, 2005
    #34
  15. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:59:56 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Now I know why you are having problems with Verbatim. Sony is a piece
    > >> of total crap.

    >
    > >The only crap referred to in this post are your claims.

    >
    > Then how do you explain why I have a whole bunch of DVDs that we
    > burned with a Sony DVD burner that we cannot read? It wasn't the media
    > because we used quality FujiFilm media.


    So you got a faulty drive. It happens.

    >
    > >I have never experienced any problems with Sony optical drives.

    >
    > You are the lone exception.


    Rubbish.

    >
    > >I have two Sony drives at home, a CRX230EE CDRW
    > >drive and the DRU720A, and another DRU720A and CRX320 CDRW/DVDROM at
    > >work, none of which has been any trouble whatsoever.

    >
    > Wait 9 months and see if the DVDs you burned still work.
    >
    > BTW, if Sony is such a great company in your estimation, why did they
    > tell me that the Sony DVD burner with Sony's name and model number on
    > it was not supported by Sony because it was made by LiteOn? Of course,
    > LiteOn would have nothing to do with it because it was Sony who
    > re-worked the firmware. But Sony would not honor the industry-standard
    > support agreements that all other vendors honor.


    What agreement is that?

    Sony provides support for all their rewritable drives. I checked and
    found there is a firmware update for my drives.
     
    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005
    #35
  16. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:10:29 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Sony doesn't support its burners, so you can't get the latest
    > >> firmware.

    >
    > >Absolute rubbish. Drivers and updates can be downloaded from
    > >http://sony.storagesupport.com/

    >
    > >All you can pin on Sony is that they don't issue dozens of updates like
    > >Liteon does.

    >
    > When I went to the Sony website for the firmware, the model of the
    > drive I had wasn't listed. So I used the online chat facility to
    > inquire about how to get the firmware. I was told that Sony did not
    > support the drive I had despite the fact that it had Sony's name on
    > it. The chat person said it was an OEM unit which means Sony does not
    > support it - in fact there was no part number in Sony's website
    > because Sony disowns OEM products. Of course LiteOn - the makers of
    > the drive - would not support it because Sony modified the firmware.


    Sony produce their own firmware for their rebadged Liteon drives. Asus
    produce their own firmware for their rebadged Pioneer drives. So what?
    The firmware for the Sony drive has to be different from Liteon,
    obviously, because the drive comes up with the Sony brand name and
    model.

    OEM products frequently are not supported directly by the original
    manufacturer, they are supported by the distributor that sells them.
    This is a common license restriction with OEM products. It is in reality
    no different from, say, ATI does not support Radeon graphics cards even
    though they have the ATI chipset in them. If you bought a Sony drive
    that was rebadged as some other brand then it is the business of that
    brand to support. Sony doesn't have to support products of a non-Sony
    brand if they don't get paid by that brand to provide support for their
    products. Just like say Canon NZ doesn't have to provide warranty
    support for products purchased overseas.



    >
    > So your comments are what's "absolute rubbish". You might want to get
    > the facts before you make a total ass out of yourself.


    The facts are:

    You claimed Sony doesn't support its burners.

    I can go to the Sony website and see all the stuff they have there for
    their burners. Your claim is false.

    > >So you got a defective burner.

    >
    > There was nothing to indicate it was defective other than it made
    > about 50% coasters immediately and 50% after the discs aged for 3-9
    > months.


    50% coasters? you must be kidding. LOL.

    I've burned hundreds of discs and only ever made coasters because of
    faulty media.

    >
    > >It happens.

    >
    > I got a total piece of crap. That happens if it is from Sony.


    False.
     
    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005
    #36
  17. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:41:36 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >So you got a faulty drive. It happens.


    It was so faulty that Sony disowned it and tried to stick it on
    LiteOn. I stuck Sony with it by returning it under warranty.

    >> You are the lone exception.


    >Rubbish.


    I never have seen any good reports about Sony DVD burners. I have seen
    plenty of bad reports.

    >> >I have two Sony drives at home, a CRX230EE CDRW
    >> >drive and the DRU720A, and another DRU720A and CRX320 CDRW/DVDROM at
    >> >work, none of which has been any trouble whatsoever.

    >>
    >> Wait 9 months and see if the DVDs you burned still work.
    >>
    >> BTW, if Sony is such a great company in your estimation, why did they
    >> tell me that the Sony DVD burner with Sony's name and model number on
    >> it was not supported by Sony because it was made by LiteOn? Of course,
    >> LiteOn would have nothing to do with it because it was Sony who
    >> re-worked the firmware. But Sony would not honor the industry-standard
    >> support agreements that all other vendors honor.


    >What agreement is that?


    If you buy a piece of hardware from a manufacturer with their name on
    it, you expect support. That's the industry standard.

    >Sony provides support for all their rewritable drives. I checked and
    >found there is a firmware update for my drives.


    You will not find anything on the DW-18A, which is actually an LG
    832S.

    From the SonyUSA both the firmware driver site and the repair site:

    "We were unable to find an exact match for the model you entered."

    Why don't you contact Sony with that model number, which BTW was taken
    directly from the ID of the unit internally, and see what they have to
    say.


    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
     
    Bob, Sep 27, 2005
    #37
  18. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:50:48 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >OEM products frequently are not supported directly by the original
    >manufacturer, they are supported by the distributor that sells them.


    That's total bullshit and either you know it or you are so stupid that
    continuing this discussion is as big a waste of time as Sony itself.

    But for the record, I contacted the distributor and they said that
    they do not support it because Sony is supposed to support it. The
    best I could find is some hack firmware site, which of course would
    void whatever warranty there was.

    Sony is one big Catch-22.


    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
     
    Bob, Sep 27, 2005
    #38
  19. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:50:48 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >Sony produce their own firmware for their rebadged Liteon drives. Asus
    >produce their own firmware for their rebadged Pioneer drives. So what?
    >The firmware for the Sony drive has to be different from Liteon,
    >obviously, because the drive comes up with the Sony brand name and
    >model.


    >OEM products frequently are not supported directly by the original
    >manufacturer, they are supported by the distributor that sells them.
    >This is a common license restriction with OEM products. It is in reality
    >no different from, say, ATI does not support Radeon graphics cards even
    >though they have the ATI chipset in them. If you bought a Sony drive
    >that was rebadged as some other brand then it is the business of that
    >brand to support.


    Then based on that you would agree that it is the business of Sony to
    support the drive that Sony rebadged.

    >Sony doesn't have to support products of a non-Sony brand


    It was not a non-Sony brand. The internal description that Nero
    reported was "Sony DVD RW DW-18A".

    Yet Sony claimed that they do not have such a product.

    Do you see the name "Sony"? That means it is Sony's responsibility.

    You are contradicting yourself.

    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
     
    Bob, Sep 27, 2005
    #39
  20. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:50:48 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >You claimed Sony doesn't support its burners.


    >I can go to the Sony website and see all the stuff they have there for
    >their burners. Your claim is false.


    My claim is true. You go to the Sony site and find the "Sony DVD RW
    DW-18A". You contact Sony and ask them if they support the "Sony DVD
    RW DW-18A". They will say there is no such thing in their product
    line.

    >50% coasters? you must be kidding. LOL.


    I am not kidding. We used several different media, including FujiFilm.

    We had a little better luck when we burned 8x media at 4x - only 25%
    coasters. But all the discs we burned, either at 8x or 4x, are no good
    after 3-9 months.

    >I've burned hundreds of discs and only ever made coasters because of
    >faulty media.


    I have burned several discs from those media samples with my NEC 3540
    and not one coaster.

    >> I got a total piece of crap. That happens if it is from Sony.


    >False.


    You are the exception.

    Why buy from a company that will not support its products when for
    less money you can have the best of the best, the NEC 3540.


    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
     
    Bob, Sep 27, 2005
    #40
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. a.metselaar

    speed speed speed

    a.metselaar, Dec 28, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    1,072
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ
    Dec 30, 2003
  2. James_S

    DVD Burning Speed?

    James_S, Aug 8, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,034
  3. Steve84

    DVD burning speed question

    Steve84, Sep 20, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    889
    Adrian S. Kuiper
    Sep 22, 2003
  4. Jack

    DVD-R burning speed?

    Jack, Nov 22, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    398
    The Shed
    Nov 22, 2005
  5. Gordon

    DVD burning speed

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    828
    83LowRider
    May 2, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page