    2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.

    What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
    your burner?
    GraB, Sep 25, 2005

  2. GraB

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:32:23 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
    >when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
    >had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
    >run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
    >version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
    >fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
    >increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
    >they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
    >2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.
    >
    >What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
    >your burner?

    Buy Crap disks get Crap results, its that simple..
    XP, Sep 25, 2005

  3. GraB

    Peter S Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
    > when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
    > had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
    > run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
    > version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
    > fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
    > increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
    > they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
    > 2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.
    >
    > What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
    > your burner?

    Hmm, I stick with Princo disks and come up with no coasters. I just let the
    drive and disc choose the burn speed.
    Peter S, Sep 25, 2005
  4. GraB

    Atropos Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
    > when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
    > had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
    > run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
    > version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
    > fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
    > increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
    > they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
    > 2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.
    >
    > What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
    > your burner?

    I buy 8x and I burn em at 8x - no problems. I used to burn 4x at 8x as well.

    I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not using
    the latest firmware) can have crappy results.
    Atropos, Sep 25, 2005
  5. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:20:21 +0100, "Atropos"
    <> wrote:

    >I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not using
    >the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

    Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
    readable.

    --

    Greatest Movie Line Ever
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

    "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    --Thomas Sowell
    Bob, Sep 25, 2005
  6. GraB

    Atropos Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:20:21 +0100, "Atropos"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not
    >>using
    >>the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

    > Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
    > readable.

    They are after 12 months....so?
    Atropos, Sep 25, 2005
  7. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:26:17 +0100, "Atropos"
    <> wrote:

    >> Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
    >> readable.

    >They are after 12 months....so?

    You are lucky. We had a Sony/LiteOn burner that we used to burn
    FujiFilm 8x DVD -R discs at 8x and now most of them are unreadable.

    When we discovered that Sony would not support the burner (it wasn't
    even listed as a product) and LiteOn said to go to Sony for support,
    we returned it and got an NEC 3540, which does burn discs reliably.

    I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    crap.

    I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    crap.

    I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    crap.

    I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    crap.

    I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    crap.

    [Repitition in hopes it is picked up by spiders.]

    Bob, Sep 25, 2005
  8. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:36:14 +1200, XP
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:32:23 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
    >>when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
    >>had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
    >>run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
    >>version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
    >>fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
    >>increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
    >>they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
    >>2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.
    >>
    >>What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
    >>your burner?

    >Buy Crap disks get Crap results, its that simple..

    What are you talking about? Who said anything about crap discs?
    These Optodisc discs have been very good, very low error count. The
    subject was about the effect of burning speeds. Can't you read?
    GraB, Sep 25, 2005
  9. GraB

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >>I had been using Excel 4x DVD+R discs (OptodiscOR4) and found that
    >> when burnt at the slowest possible speed, 2.4x (8x Lite-On 832S), they
    >> had the lowest error count, with KProbe2. Now that the supplier has
    >> run out of those I have had to go to the slightly more expensive 8x
    >> version (OptodiscOR8). With the 4x ones, if I burnt them at the
    >> fastest speed, which came up as 8x, or at 4x, there was a noticeable
    >> increase in the error count but I have found with the new 8x discs
    >> they seem to burn better at 6x. Even 8x gives pretty good burns but
    >> 2.4x, surprisingly, gave the worst error count.
    >>
    >> What do others find, burning different discs at different speeds, with
    >> your burner?

    >I buy 8x and I burn em at 8x - no problems. I used to burn 4x at 8x as well.
    >
    >I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not using
    >the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

    How are you testing the burns?
    GraB, Sep 25, 2005
  10. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:27:36 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:20:21 +0100, "Atropos"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not using
    >>the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

    >Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
    >readable.

    I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
    change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.
    GraB, Sep 25, 2005
  11. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 04:04:17 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >>Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
    >>readable.

    >I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
    >change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.

    I wish I were as fortunate as you. I am going thru 9 months of
    burnings and so far most are defective.

    Once I started using the NEC 3540, all the discs are good. I burned
    the same collection of blanks used with the Sony and they are OK.

    I have no choice but to conclude that the Sony was defective, at least
    in terms of those discs, some of which were Fuji-branded.

    As soon as I get rid of the old blanks on one-time viewing projects, I
    am sticking with Verbatim 16x burned at 8x with the NEC 3540. Those
    should last a lifetime.

    Sam's Club has 16x Verbatims (MCC 03RG20 which have been thoroughly
    tested by CDFreaks) for a little over $40 per 100. That's an
    incredible bargain for 16x DVD +/-R discs, especially considering the
    high quality of Verbatim Mitsubishi media.

    Nevertheless, even though the CDFreaks tests were with a 3540 at 16x,
    I am going to play it safe and burn at 8x. What's a few more minutes
    in background when having the discs last is important.

    Bob, Sep 25, 2005
  12. GraB

    Alpha Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:27:36 GMT, (Bob) wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:20:21 +0100, "Atropos"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not
    >>>using
    >>>the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

    >>Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
    >>readable.

    > I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
    > change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.

    I have discs that are four-five years old. They all play (of course they
    were 2x back then).
    Alpha, Sep 25, 2005
  13. GraB

    Atropos Guest

    > I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    > crap.

    First burner I had was a Sony. All the burns I did from that are f*cked.
    None of them will rip and freeze up.(not after 6 months, not 6 weeks, but 6
    seconds)

    Went straight for a Pioneer 107 and never looked back.
    Atropos, Sep 25, 2005
  14. GraB

    billh Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:26:17 +0100, "Atropos"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
    >>> readable.

    >>They are after 12 months....so?

    > You are lucky. We had a Sony/LiteOn burner that we used to burn
    > FujiFilm 8x DVD -R discs at 8x and now most of them are unreadable.
    >
    > When we discovered that Sony would not support the burner (it wasn't
    > even listed as a product) and LiteOn said to go to Sony for support,
    > we returned it and got an NEC 3540, which does burn discs reliably.
    >
    > I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    > crap.
    >
    > I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    > crap.
    >
    > I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    > crap.
    >
    > I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    > crap.
    >
    > I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    > crap.
    >
    > [Repitition in hopes it is picked up by spiders.]
    >

    > --
    >
    > Greatest Movie Line Ever
    > http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv
    >
    > "What is history but the story of how politicians have
    > squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
    > --Thomas Sowell

    Sony, IMO, is a company that is living on its reputation gained 30 yrs ago
    with its Trinitron TVs. I also think their current stuff is not worth the
    price and avoid it.
    billh
    billh, Sep 25, 2005
  15. > Went straight for a Pioneer 107 and never looked back

    I also have a Pioneer 107 and 108. I find the 108 isn't quite as good
    in terms of reading DVD's, not quite as fast as the 107 and sometimes
    has trouble reading DVD's which the 107 reads fine.

    I thought it might just be my unit but I heard that the 109 is even
    worse, though I've never tried one myself. Has anyone come across this
    before?
    Andrew Gerald, Sep 26, 2005
  16. T'was the Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:47:09 GMT when I remembered
    (Bob) saying something like this:

    >I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    >crap.

    I dunno, I've got one of their stereos, and it's been going well for
    the last 5 years.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Sep 26, 2005
  17. On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:47:09 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    >crap.

    I'll take a double helping of that. Everything I've purchased made by
    Sony in the last couple of years has either been unreliable or just
    died. Including a PlayStation 2.
    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Sep 26, 2005
  18. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:26:42 +0100, "Atropos"
    <> wrote:

    >> I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    >> crap.

    >First burner I had was a Sony. All the burns I did from that are f*cked.
    >None of them will rip and freeze up.(not after 6 months, not 6 weeks, but 6
    >seconds)

    We got about 50% coasters. Most of those which played at the time they
    were burned won't play today. That covers a period of between 3 months
    and 9 months ago.

    The irony is that our Sony was a LiteOn, which is supposed to be a
    good drive. However, I believe Sony buggered the firmware which caused
    it to screw up.

    This isn't the first time I have run into problems with Sony products.
    My son bought the burner without consulting. I hope he learned his
    lesson because he has over 100 discs that won't play now.

    >Went straight for a Pioneer 107 and never looked back.

    That is one of the top five units when I conducted a survey on these
    forums a while back.

    I went with the NEC 3540 because it is more widely supported by the CD
    Freak community. I am running LD 1.W5 firmware, which defeats Riplock,
    and now I can read a video disc at 16x. With Riplock on, the best I
    could read a video disc was 4x.

    Bob, Sep 26, 2005
  19. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:32:26 -0400, "billh"
    <> wrote:

    >Sony, IMO, is a company that is living on its reputation gained 30 yrs ago
    >with its Trinitron TVs. I also think their current stuff is not worth the
    >price and avoid it.

    Sony owns the broadcast market with their component video technology.
    They are in consumer electronics only because they have the money from
    broadcast. They need to get out of consumer electronics.

    When I was in broadcast I bought a Trinitron and it was defective. I
    had to argue with the local rep for days before he would bring me a
    replacement, which did work properly. He said I should have gotten the
    box with the green dot because that was Sony's code for working units.
    If the box did not have a green dot, then it was not a working unit.
    But rather than recall them Sony let customers deal with it.

    Pricks.

    Bob, Sep 26, 2005
  20. GraB

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:27:38 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    >>I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
    >>crap.

    >I dunno, I've got one of their stereos, and it's been going well for
    >the last 5 years.

    It's pretty hard to screw up a stereo.

    Bob, Sep 26, 2005