dvd burning software does not recognize operating system

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by cleanman, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. cleanman

    cleanman Guest

    Hello All:
    I wanted to make transition from converting .avi to video cd - by
    installing a dvd burner.
    Description of particular burner/with retail dvd burning software -
    Nero 6, said supports Windows ME ( & windows 98/XP/etc.) After
    purchase of burner - but before installing unit took software for a
    test run - and wanted to (yoiks) print out the 70 page manual for
    PX740A - only to find when clicking on install nero 6 suite that it
    will only work with winME.
    Which is what I am running - hello. I do have original cd burner
    installed with Roxio 5 Platinum which includes Direct CD. Is this a
    possible software conflict / with Roxio stuff - or is there something
    more going on?
    Hate to have to return all.

    thnx.
    Barry

    cleanman, Apr 5, 2006

  2. cleanman

    Tonester Guest

    "cleanman" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All:
    > I wanted to make transition from converting .avi to video cd - by
    > installing a dvd burner.
    > Description of particular burner/with retail dvd burning software -
    > Nero 6, said supports Windows ME ( & windows 98/XP/etc.) After
    > purchase of burner - but before installing unit took software for a
    > test run - and wanted to (yoiks) print out the 70 page manual for
    > PX740A - only to find when clicking on install nero 6 suite that it
    > will only work with winME.
    > Which is what I am running - hello. I do have original cd burner
    > installed with Roxio 5 Platinum which includes Direct CD. Is this a
    > possible software conflict / with Roxio stuff - or is there something
    > more going on?
    > Hate to have to return all.

    Well guess what...maybe the burner will work under ME, but ME is old and
    decrepit and will not handle the large file sizes required for DVD burning.

    Throw ME in the trash (which you should have done 8 years ago) and upgrade
    to XP NOW.

    BUT...you don't need a DVD burner to make a Video CD, only a CD burner.

    Tonester, Apr 5, 2006

  3. cleanman

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:18:24 GMT, "Tonester" <> wrote:

    >"cleanman" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello All:
    >> I wanted to make transition from converting .avi to video cd - by
    >> installing a dvd burner.
    >> Description of particular burner/with retail dvd burning software -
    >> Nero 6, said supports Windows ME ( & windows 98/XP/etc.) After
    >> purchase of burner - but before installing unit took software for a
    >> test run - and wanted to (yoiks) print out the 70 page manual for
    >> PX740A - only to find when clicking on install nero 6 suite that it
    >> will only work with winME.
    >> Which is what I am running - hello. I do have original cd burner
    >> installed with Roxio 5 Platinum which includes Direct CD. Is this a
    >> possible software conflict / with Roxio stuff - or is there something
    >> more going on?
    >> Hate to have to return all.

    >Well guess what...maybe the burner will work under ME, but ME is old and
    >decrepit and will not handle the large file sizes required for DVD burning.
    >
    >Throw ME in the trash (which you should have done 8 years ago) and upgrade
    >to XP NOW.
    >
    >BUT...you don't need a DVD burner to make a Video CD, only a CD burner.

    I concur with all that, You need NTFS for DVD production, plus yes,
    Roxio DOES screw up Nero, dump Roxio.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve, Apr 5, 2006
  4. cleanman

    Bratboy Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:18:24 GMT, "Tonester" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"cleanman" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello All:
    >>> I wanted to make transition from converting .avi to video cd - by
    >>> installing a dvd burner.
    >>> Description of particular burner/with retail dvd burning software -
    >>> Nero 6, said supports Windows ME ( & windows 98/XP/etc.) After
    >>> purchase of burner - but before installing unit took software for a
    >>> test run - and wanted to (yoiks) print out the 70 page manual for
    >>> PX740A - only to find when clicking on install nero 6 suite that it
    >>> will only work with winME.
    >>> Which is what I am running - hello. I do have original cd burner
    >>> installed with Roxio 5 Platinum which includes Direct CD. Is this a
    >>> possible software conflict / with Roxio stuff - or is there something
    >>> more going on?
    >>> Hate to have to return all.

    >>Well guess what...maybe the burner will work under ME, but ME is old and
    >>decrepit and will not handle the large file sizes required for DVD
    >>burning.
    >>
    >>Throw ME in the trash (which you should have done 8 years ago) and upgrade
    >>to XP NOW.
    >>
    >>BUT...you don't need a DVD burner to make a Video CD, only a CD burner.

    > I concur with all that, You need NTFS for DVD production, plus yes,
    > Roxio DOES screw up Nero, dump Roxio.
    >
    > .. Steve ..

    Yep, Nero doesnt play well with other softwares and the various ASPI
    drivers. If you go to Nero's site they at least used to have a faq/guide
    about conflicts with other dvd software and what to do.

    Bratboy, Apr 6, 2006
  5. cleanman

    cleanman Guest

    thanks for the response and you didn't even suggest I burn my house
    down because I'm still using windows ME. Like I should have got rid of
    it 8 years ago.... Guess then it was just called windows m.

    thnx again.

    cleanman, Apr 6, 2006