    hrs of DVD quality video or 16 hrs of VHS quality but I have not seen any
    setting for the VHS quality. Hope there is some good news to be had with
    this.

    DeSoto Driver, Jan 1, 2006

  2. DeSoto Driver

    The Shed Guest

    "DeSoto Driver" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have some movies that are in mpeg/mpg/and avi format that I want to
    >burn
    > onto a DVD so they can be played on DVD player on TV. The question
    > is when
    > I do that with Nero it has to convert them and it takes about 3 to 4
    > hours
    > for each, is there anyother program that will do this faster? Or is
    > this a
    > normal time? Or am I doing somethimg wrong? My system is 1.3 ghz/512
    > mb mem
    > /XP Home. also my burner is a double layer and says I can record up
    > to 4
    > hrs of DVD quality video or 16 hrs of VHS quality but I have not seen
    > any
    > setting for the VHS quality. Hope there is some good news to be had
    > with
    > this.

    In my experience Nero vision is the convertor of choice--no doubt there
    are others.
    I would avoid using the dual layer discs as not many tv based players
    will not read them,nor recognise them as valid media,plus the cost of
    them.
    Tip for you, add loads more RAM and get a dedicated hard drive for
    working space,and for the best result have Nothing else running--as in
    disconnect from internet/dissable av etc etc, for a large movie you
    should be able to convert in around 90 mins (2GB RAM/p4 2.4) and
    dedicated drive.
    Yes there are other solutions---this will work time and time again (well
    dependant on source material)

    The Shed, Jan 1, 2006

  3. DeSoto Driver

    PC Guest

    >I have some movies that are in mpeg/mpg/and avi format that I want to burn
    > onto a DVD so they can be played on DVD player on TV. The question is
    > when
    > I do that with Nero it has to convert them and it takes about 3 to 4 hours
    > for each, is there anyother program that will do this faster? Or is this
    > normal time? Or am I doing somethimg wrong? My system is 1.3 ghz/512 mb
    > mem
    > /XP Home. also my burner is a double layer and says I can record up to 4
    > hrs of DVD quality video or 16 hrs of VHS quality but I have not seen any
    > setting for the VHS quality. Hope there is some good news to be had with
    > this.

    As 'The Shed' indicated creating DVD's takes 'time' and lots of it.
    My Athlon 2500+ with 1GB of Ram and SATA drives can build a DVD in less than
    an hour depending on the source content.
    The 'trick' is if possible have your source in the same format as you are
    burning to eg. DVD Mpeg at 720x526 / 25fps / 4:3.

    At a Seminar I attended recently the Video 'Guru' suggested the 'fastest'
    way to build Video was to dedicate a machine to that task.
    It doesnt have to have all the bells & whistles but top end CPU, plenty of
    ram & fast hard drives.
    Then you would use your main PC to do all the assembly work but then
    transfer the 'project' to the dedicated PC, set it running and go back to
    your main PC and carry on with other tasks.

    Without demeaning your present hardware I would however comment it is not
    what I would call 'powerfull', Ram will help.

    Double layer recording requires the later versions of Nero ie 6 Reloaded or
    7. (my 6.3.1.25 shows dual layer dialogs though I've never burnt one yet)
    If you open Nero Vision Express and select burn a DVD the Content window has
    a 'more' button at the bottom'
    Opening this show's a 'Video Options' button, under the DVD-Video tab you
    have the choice of "Quality Setting:" (Automatic/High/Standard/Long Play)
    and "Encoding mode" (2 pass high quality or 'fast' 1 pass)
    Selecting LongPlay/1 pass should speed things up considerably but of course
    the resultant quality will suffer.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 2, 2006
  4. DeSoto Driver

    Mitch Guest

    In article <1mUtf.64074$>, The Shed
    <> wrote:

    > I would avoid using the dual layer discs as not many tv based players
    > will not read them,nor recognise them as valid media,plus the cost of
    > them.

    I have to agree -- not many players, in my experience, will _not_ read
    them. Which means you can expect those players to read them.

    Lately, it seems all movies are dual-layer. Are you really finding
    players that can't play them?

    Mitch, Jan 2, 2006
  5. DeSoto Driver

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Rl_tf.11757$>, PC
    <> wrote:

    > At a Seminar I attended recently the Video 'Guru' suggested the 'fastest'
    > way to build Video was to dedicate a machine to that task.
    > It doesnt have to have all the bells & whistles but top end CPU, plenty of
    > ram & fast hard drives.

    That's funny -- it doesn't have to have everything, but make sure it
    has best of everything. You forgot fast system bus and high-end video
    card.
    Let me ask in reverse -- what would the machine he is writing of NOT
    need? What can you leave out?

    > Then you would use your main PC to do all the assembly work but then
    > transfer the 'project' to the dedicated PC, set it running and go back to
    > your main PC and carry on with other tasks.

    I just can't believe this is being offered as a simple solution to
    someone who asked the proper way to build a DVD.
    Get a whole new high-end machine, loaded with everything?

    Mitch, Jan 2, 2006
  6. DeSoto Driver

    PC Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Rl_tf.11757$>, PC
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> At a Seminar I attended recently the Video 'Guru' suggested the 'fastest'
    >> way to build Video was to dedicate a machine to that task.
    >> It doesnt have to have all the bells & whistles but top end CPU, plenty
    >> of
    >> ram & fast hard drives.

    > That's funny -- it doesn't have to have everything, but make sure it
    > has best of everything. You forgot fast system bus and high-end video
    > card.
    > Let me ask in reverse -- what would the machine he is writing of NOT
    > need? What can you leave out?
    >
    >> Then you would use your main PC to do all the assembly work but then
    >> transfer the 'project' to the dedicated PC, set it running and go back to
    >> your main PC and carry on with other tasks.

    > I just can't believe this is being offered as a simple solution to
    > someone who asked the proper way to build a DVD.
    > Get a whole new high-end machine, loaded with everything?

    Mitch

    "It doesnt have to have all the bells & whistles " Yes confusing isn't it.

    However the Guru's at this Video Seminar I attended pointed out that a
    video rendering PC doesn't need:
    a fancy video card,
    heaps of USB or Firewire ports,
    TV tuner,
    fancy sound card,
    big flash case,
    Modem,
    multiple PCI slots,
    lots of memory slots,
    ECC Ram,
    the Hard Disk can be relatively modest in size,
    the keyboard / mouse/ monitor can be any old thing lying around, etc.
    For that matter it doesn't need a floppy disk or CD/DVD drive either
    provided you have a LAN card in it, the power supply can also be quite
    modest (good quality assumed) and the case can be custom ventilated to
    minimise heat sink requirements.
    On the software side you can economise on all the security utilities by
    leaving it off the LAN till you're ready to move files.

    I did forget about the fast system bus, sorry. The Seminar organisers
    recomended Intel CPU's,which at the time had faster bus speeds, but I think
    some of the new Athlon dual core 64's running on Nvidia nForce4 boards are
    going to be hard to beat.

    Your "I just can't believe this is being offered as a simple solution"
    comment puzzle's me a bit as the OP posed three questions (to me any way)
    vis:

    1."is there anyother program that will do this faster?"
    2. "is this a normal time?"
    3. "have not seen any setting for the VHS quality"

    None of which asked for a 'simple' solution.

    Never the less, to clarify the situation:
    Question 2 On his hardware this is probably a 'normal' time given the
    disparate sources used (mpeg/mpg/and avi) and the modest spec.
    Question 3 I've already pointed the OP in the right direction anyway with
    the reference to the video settings in Nero Vision Express.

    As for Question 1:
    I didn't say it but perhaps I should have said 'no' but I saw the key word
    as 'faster' and as I havent used the likes of Pinnacle, Adobe or Canopus
    didn't feel overly qualified to comment.

    However I have used the same PC for rendering DVD's with Nero 6, Ulead Video
    Studio 9, Cyberlink Power Producer 2 Gold, Intervideo WinProducer 3 and
    Sonic MyDVD plus some others that weren't much to write home about.

    All these programs took about the same time to render similar material
    indicating the hardware was the limiting factor hence the advice to build a
    special rendering PC.
    Which was the same advice the Video Guru's offered at the Seminar I alluded
    to initially.

    just my 2c
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 2, 2006