DVD Burning Backups Long Post

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Yummy, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Yummy

    Yummy Guest

    I'm kinda "old school" when it comes to backing up data, I prefer tape
    drives for servers and cd-r/rw for desktops. I have a client who needs
    data backed up daily, about 3.5 gigs worth. CD's just won't cut it.
    For the first time I'm trying DVD-RW burning, and I'm having issues.

    I bought a Pioneer DVR-105, which uses DVD-R and DVD-RW media. I
    bought Memorex version 1.1 media, which is supposed to be compatable
    for that drive. I know that rewrite speeds are only 1X, but this is
    WAY to slow. It's taking over 9 hrs to write to the disk, plus
    verification time. I have checked Pioneer's Ausie website (which has
    better support than the US site). I have made sure that the drive is
    set to Primary Master with no other devices attached, and disabled DMA
    mode and set it to PIO mode. I don't think there is anything physical
    wrong with the drive, it burns CD's with no problems.

    There is a firmware upgrade available for that drive, but its for
    version 2.0 media. If I upgrade the firmaware, I can no longer use the
    1.1.

    I have tried different backup utilities, including Retrospect (which
    doesn't support the drive), Genie (which I'm trying now), NTI Backup
    Now! (easy to use, but error prone). I wanted to use Backup My PC
    (Veritas Backup Exec), but I have read reviews from download.com that
    it will trash a XP SP1 system. This is a Pioneer OEM drive, it only
    came with Nero Express and InCD, which works with no problems. I would
    use Nero for backups, but there isn't a way to generate backup
    scripts, do compression, or unattended backups. My client isn't savy
    enough to be able to manually execute backups daily.

    My client doesn't want to use tapes.

    BTW, using XP Home, 256 RAM, Celery 1.4 ghz, 40 gb HD on a 4 node PtP
    network.

    I should have researched this better before I jumped into it, I
    figured it would be just as simple as CD burning.

    Any help and ideas would be appreciated.

    Thanks in adv.

    Dave

    "There is something afoot down at the Circle K."
    Ted

    Yummy, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Yummy

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Yummy wrote:
    > I'm kinda "old school" when it comes to backing up data, I prefer tape
    > drives for servers and cd-r/rw for desktops. I have a client who needs
    > data backed up daily, about 3.5 gigs worth. CD's just won't cut it.
    > For the first time I'm trying DVD-RW burning, and I'm having issues.

    /snip/

    It would have been far easier and cheaper to toss a 60GB+ hard drive in
    the system and do incremental backups to it. At the end of every week
    you could overwrite the incrementals with a full backup.

    yugsdrawkcab, Jun 23, 2003