    various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is supposed
    to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?
    Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
    Rick, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Rick

    Koenig Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable reviews

    on
    > DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands like
    > Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range (under
    > $150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other such
    > terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.
    >
    > I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with the
    > various protection methods of PC games.

    Your DVD burner won't be able to help you circumvent copy protection (you
    have to use whatever methods you currently employ to do so). But for
    reliable burning you can't go past the Pioneers. Superb units, superb
    quality.

    >Also, which DVD format is supposed
    > to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?

    DVD-R is most compatible, although it is best to check a few brands of them
    to ensure they work with your DVD player properly.
    Koenig, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Rick

    matt Guest

    Go Pioneer for sure

    matt, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Rick

    TigerMan Guest

    The Pioneer 108 is a very good unit

    TigerMan, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Rick

    Donald Link Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:49:46 GMT, "Rick" <>
    wrote:

    >I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable reviews on
    >DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands like
    >Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range (under
    >$150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other such
    >terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.
    >
    >I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with the
    >various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is supposed
    >to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?
    >Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.

    Do not rule out Memorex. Have found them to be very reliable and no
    trouble in using DVD shrink like some of the brands.
    Donald Link, Dec 21, 2004
  6. On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:49:46 GMT, "Rick" <>
    wrote:

    >I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable reviews on
    >DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands like
    >Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range (under
    >$150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other such
    >terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.

    The bit setting is to do with DVD+R media. The Pioneer DVR-108 drives
    don't require this utility a its been built into the firmware for this
    drive. More on this at:
    http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/computer/dvdInfo/dvdInfo_23.html

    NOTE: That some DVD players even with that utility or burnt in the
    Pioneer DVR-108/A08XL drive may still never work with that DVD player.
    I own such a DVD player that can not detect a DVD+R disc no matter
    what utility or Pioneer 108 drive you use.

    If in doubt use DVD-R then you don't need to worry about the bit
    setting.

    >I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with the
    >various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is supposed
    >to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?
    >Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.

    All depends what you are going to be using it for.
    If its to be used for DATA backups then the LG as it can re write to
    DVD-RAM meida which is many time smore reliable and robust than
    DVD-RW/+RW will ever be.

    If its only going to be used for video then go the Pioneer DVR-108
    drives and if you have a capture card and plan to create your own DVD
    Video collections then get the Pioneer DVR-A08XL which has the better
    software for authoring.

    If you are looking at the Pioneer DVR-A08XL drive you may want to
    download the trial version of Ulead DVD workshop V2 to see if its for
    your requirements and see how it goes on your system. Or you could get
    the OEM in the Pioneer DVR-108 and then use DVD-Lab which some prefer
    over DVD Workshop. DVD Lab costs about a extra $100 and also has a
    trial version to download so you get to play with it before deciding
    wether it is worth buying.

    I use a Pioneer DVR-108 and a LG 4082B drive. For video burns I use
    the Pioneer and for DATA backups I use the LG along with USB2 hard
    drives.

    The beauty of the Pioneer DVR-108/A08XL drives is it will burn certain
    8X speed media at 12X using Pioneer Authorized firmware. The LG drives
    will only burn at a max speed of 8X and some brands of 8X will burn no
    faster than 4X on the LG drives. No doubt future firmware will correct
    this problem.

    For compatibilty with most DVD players I would strongly recommend
    DVD-R media but again this does depend on the DVD player you own.

    Most of my sales is with Orion DVD-R media as most prefer DVD-R over
    DVD+R media. I made the terrible mistake of buying in thousands of
    RiDATA DVD+R/+RW media thinking there was a market for these.
    Been selling these way below what I paid for them just to clear them
    out. Only taking up valuable shelf space.

    SalesMart.com.au
    Perth, Western Australia
    http://www.salesmart.com.au
    Email Contact info on the above site.
    SalesMart.com.au, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Rick

    Dave Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable reviews

    on
    > DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands like
    > Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range

    (under
    > $150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other such
    > terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.
    >
    > I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with

    the
    > various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is

    supposed
    > to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?
    > Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.

    Get a pioneer 108 or a NEC 3500, the only way with virtually any dvd writer
    drive you can mess with copy protection is with appropriate copying tools
    such as anydvd and alcohol 120%
    HTH
    Dave, Dec 21, 2004
  8. Rick

    Dave Guest

    "Donald Link" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:49:46 GMT, "Rick" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable

    reviews on
    > >DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands like
    > >Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range

    (under
    > >$150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other such
    > >terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.
    > >
    > >I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with

    the
    > >various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is

    supposed
    > >to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?
    > >Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
    > >

    > Do not rule out Memorex. Have found them to be very reliable and no
    > trouble in using DVD shrink like some of the brands.

    Crap drives for burn reliabilty with cmc dyes and other budget media
    Dave, Dec 21, 2004
  9. Rick

    David Harris Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable reviews on
    > DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands like
    > Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range (under
    > $150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other such
    > terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.
    >
    > I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with the
    > various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is supposed
    > to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?
    > Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.

    Pioneer 108 with "NIL"'s firmware upgrade, rips and burns at up to 12x perfectly
    with good media (Ritek G04 (?) 8x Infiniti currently)

    Google "NIL pioneer 108 firmware"

    --
    Best Regards,

    David Harris
    **** Please remove the *NOSP!AM* in
    "reply-to" address to reply ****
    http://www.g8ina.enta.net
    http://www.harrisphotography.co.uk
    David Harris, Dec 21, 2004
  10. Rick

    POD {Ò¿Ó} Guest

    The phone rang while Rick was doing the ironing, resulting in the 3rd
    degree burn on their ear, visible for all in uk.media.dvd to guffaw
    over.

    > I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable
    > reviews on DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is
    > that brands like Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at
    > their price range (under $150). I have also heard about things like
    > "bit-setting" and other such terminologies which apparently improve
    > the way that a DVD is burnt.
    >
    > I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with
    > the various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is
    > supposed to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R
    > or -R)? Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.

    Pioneer 108 or NEC 3500...nuff said

    --
    Another fine post from the semantically cute.....

    POD

    "A practitioner of the vituperative arts"
    POD {Ò¿Ó}, Dec 21, 2004
  11. Rick

    Daver Guest

    Pioneer 108 is supposed to be up there but for every format ie DVD Ram as
    well LG 4160 is the one. Both can be had for under $150.

    Daver, Dec 21, 2004
  12. Rick

    Doug Ramage Guest

    "POD {Ò¿Ó}" <> wrote in message
    > The phone rang while Rick was doing the ironing, resulting in the 3rd
    > degree burn on their ear, visible for all in uk.media.dvd to guffaw
    > over.
    >
    >> I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable
    >> reviews on DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is
    >> that brands like Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at
    >> their price range (under $150). I have also heard about things like
    >> "bit-setting" and other such terminologies which apparently improve
    >> the way that a DVD is burnt.
    >>
    >> I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with
    >> the various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is
    >> supposed to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R
    >> or -R)? Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
    >>

    > Pioneer 108 or NEC 3500...nuff said
    >
    > --
    > Another fine post from the semantically cute.....
    >
    > POD

    I went for the NEC 3500 over the Pioneer 108, as it is significantly faster.
    I can burn 8x Sony dvd-r at 16x, which means a full dvd in ~ 5.40 mins.
    However, the NEC 3520 is now out, but I have no experience of it.

    If you want/need dvd-ram, the LG 4163 is now out. I have the LG 4120 and it
    works fine. Not much point in getting the LG 4160, unless the price is low.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]
    Doug Ramage, Dec 21, 2004
  13. Rick

    Bluegoose Guest

    I've had my Plextor PX-712A about two weeks and have been great luck with
    compatability using DVD-r & DVD+r with my Sony Console DVD Player.
    The copies also work on the cheap cyberhome DVD players.
    Check out "DVDShrink.ORG"

    Bluegoose, Dec 21, 2004
  14. Rick

    Joe S Guest

    Doug Ramage wrote:
    > "POD {Ò¿Ó}" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The phone rang while Rick was doing the ironing, resulting in the 3rd
    >>degree burn on their ear, visible for all in uk.media.dvd to guffaw
    >>over.
    >>

    >>>I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable
    >>>reviews on DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is
    >>>that brands like Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at
    >>>their price range (under $150). I have also heard about things like
    >>>"bit-setting" and other such terminologies which apparently improve
    >>>the way that a DVD is burnt.
    >>>
    >>>I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with
    >>>the various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is
    >>>supposed to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R
    >>>or -R)? Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
    >>>

    >>Pioneer 108 or NEC 3500...nuff said
    >>
    >>--
    >>Another fine post from the semantically cute.....
    >>
    >>POD

    > I went for the NEC 3500 over the Pioneer 108, as it is significantly faster.
    > I can burn 8x Sony dvd-r at 16x, which means a full dvd in ~ 5.40 mins.
    > However, the NEC 3520 is now out, but I have no experience of it.
    >
    > If you want/need dvd-ram, the LG 4163 is now out. I have the LG 4120 and it
    > works fine. Not much point in getting the LG 4160, unless the price is low.

    I added a NEC 3500 as well. It's working well. Got it plus a 50-pack of
    Fuji DVD-R for $50 (after rebates) at PCConnection a couple of weeks ago.

    Joe
    Joe S, Dec 21, 2004
  15. Rick

    Justin Guest

    Dave wrote on [Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:13:22 -0000]:

    > "Donald Link" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:49:46 GMT, "Rick" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable

    > reviews on
    >> >DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands like
    >> >Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range

    > (under
    >> >$150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other such
    >> >terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.
    >> >
    >> >I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with

    > the
    >> >various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is

    > supposed
    >> >to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?
    >> >Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
    >> >

    >> Do not rule out Memorex. Have found them to be very reliable and no
    >> trouble in using DVD shrink like some of the brands.

    > Crap drives for burn reliabilty with cmc dyes and other budget media

    "budget" media is another term for "only use if you don't care if it
    works"?
    Justin, Dec 21, 2004
  16. Rick

    sanpablo Guest

    >I went for the NEC 3500 over the Pioneer 108, as it is significantly faster.
    >I can burn 8x Sony dvd-r at 16x, which means a full dvd in ~ 5.40 mins.
    >However, the NEC 3520 is now out, but I have no experience of it.
    >
    >If you want/need dvd-ram, the LG 4163 is now out. I have the LG 4120 and it
    >works fine. Not much point in getting the LG 4160, unless the price is low.

    Does the LG-4160 handle DVD-RAM in the cartridge?, thanks
    sanpablo, Dec 21, 2004
  17. Rick

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Pioneer 108 sells for around $80, can't beat.

    But no DVD burner will help you bypass copy protection.

    Pug Fugley, Dec 21, 2004
  18. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message
    > Pioneer 108 sells for around $80, can't beat.
    >
    > But no DVD burner will help you bypass copy protection.

    Well then, how about a normal CD writer to bypass game copy protection?

    btw, thanks for all your inputs ... it has made the task of eliminating many
    brands a lot easier. I am down to getting either the latest LG or Pioneer
    DVD burner atm.

    btw, are the DVD-RAM discs actually available in Australia (Adelaide)? I
    can't say I've seen them around, but then I haven't been looking hard for
    them either - are they in ready supply, as I'm sure to use them on occasion
    (I think).
    Rick, Dec 21, 2004
  19. Rick

    Doug Ramage Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message

    > "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message
    >> Pioneer 108 sells for around $80, can't beat.
    >>
    >> But no DVD burner will help you bypass copy protection.

    > Well then, how about a normal CD writer to bypass game copy protection?
    >
    > btw, thanks for all your inputs ... it has made the task of eliminating
    > many brands a lot easier. I am down to getting either the latest LG or
    > Pioneer DVD burner atm.
    >
    > btw, are the DVD-RAM discs actually available in Australia (Adelaide)? I
    > can't say I've seen them around, but then I haven't been looking hard for
    > them either - are they in ready supply, as I'm sure to use them on
    > occasion (I think).

    DVD-RAM discs should be available in Australia. Panasonic sell them on their
    website, here in the UK. Have you tried their Australian website?

    I don't think the Pioneer 109 is out yet, and the 108 is the previous
    generation.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]
    Doug Ramage, Dec 21, 2004
  20. Rick

    Biz Guest

    "Doug Ramage" <> wrote in message

    > "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message
    > >> Pioneer 108 sells for around $80, can't beat.
    > >>
    > >> But no DVD burner will help you bypass copy protection.

    > > Well then, how about a normal CD writer to bypass game copy protection?
    > >
    > > btw, thanks for all your inputs ... it has made the task of eliminating
    > > many brands a lot easier. I am down to getting either the latest LG or
    > > Pioneer DVD burner atm.
    > >
    > > btw, are the DVD-RAM discs actually available in Australia (Adelaide)?

    > > can't say I've seen them around, but then I haven't been looking hard

    for
    > > them either - are they in ready supply, as I'm sure to use them on
    > > occasion (I think).
    > >

    > DVD-RAM discs should be available in Australia. Panasonic sell them on

    their
    > website, here in the UK. Have you tried their Australian website?
    >
    > I don't think the Pioneer 109 is out yet, and the 108 is the previous
    > generation.

    If the 109, which I assume is the 108's replacement is not out yet, how is
    the 108 the previous generation?
    Biz, Dec 21, 2004