    computer running for a month straight and unattended.

    Any idea if this can be fixed? Any ideas at all?

    TIA

    News Groupie, Jul 14, 2005

  2. News Groupie

    WormWood Guest

    "News Groupie" <> wrote in message
    news:wJyBe.144470$...
    >I have a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW burner and it scratches any media (CD,
    >DVD, and blank CDs & DVDs) I put in. I leaves a ring on the media where
    >I'm assuming the lens is reading. This started happening after I left
    >my computer running for a month straight and unattended.
    >
    > Any idea if this can be fixed? Any ideas at all?
    >
    > TIA

    How, exactly, does the media behave after being 'scratched' ...ie: (does
    not play at all, plays but sound/video is crappy)?

    WormWood, Jul 14, 2005

  3. News Groupie

    News Groupie Guest

    I put a DVD movie in and it didn't play anymore.

    News Groupie, Jul 14, 2005
  4. On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:34:14 -0400, "WormWood"
    <> wrote:

    >"News Groupie" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW burner and it scratches any media (CD,
    >>DVD, and blank CDs & DVDs) I put in. I leaves a ring on the media where
    >>I'm assuming the lens is reading. This started happening after I left
    >>my computer running for a month straight and unattended.
    >>
    >> Any idea if this can be fixed? Any ideas at all?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    >How, exactly, does the media behave after being 'scratched' ...ie: (does
    >not play at all, plays but sound/video is crappy)?

    The scratching could simply be due to a bit of fluff or dirt on the
    laser lens, meaning that the servo can't properly find the focus, thus
    going in too close to the surface and sratching it. Also the loading
    tray might be trying to pick up and eject the disc while it's still
    spinning.

    .. Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 14, 2005
  5. News Groupie

    Large Farva Guest

    I wouldn't worry too much about it and to be on the safe side I would just
    buy a new DVD burner. They are $40 brand new, so why not?

    Large Farva, Jul 15, 2005
  6. News Groupie

    unwashed Guest

    >I have a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW burner and it scratches any media (CD, DVD,
    >and blank CDs & DVDs) I put in. I leaves a ring on the media where I'm
    >assuming the lens is reading. This started happening after I left my
    >computer running for a month straight and unattended.
    >
    > Any idea if this can be fixed? Any ideas at all?
    >
    > TIA

    Is the DVD drive listed in device manager as having
    any problems?
    The lens scans across the disk, continually focusing
    and scanning etc, you describe a "ring" left on the
    surface? Is the "ring" identically positioned on each
    disk surface you are having problems with?
    If so, then doubtful it is the lens that is the cause.
    Have you checked that the tray is free of foreign
    objects? - Note that the lens reads from below.

    unwashed, Jul 15, 2005
  7. News Groupie

    News Groupie Guest

    Yes the ring is identically position on every media scratched. There's no
    foriegn objects on the tray (that i can see). I don't have the means to buy
    even a $40 at the moment, so I have to try to resolve it.

    If the lens is simply dirty, can I use a lens cleaning disc?

    If not, how else can I fix this?

    TIA

    News Groupie, Jul 15, 2005
  8. News Groupie

    News Groupie Guest

    New discovery.

    I just put the disc cleaner in and it did the same ring scratch again in the
    same position, but more interesting is the drive ripped the wet and dry
    brush off the disc! So it seems something is getting too close to the disc
    as Steve suggested.

    How do I fix that?

    TIA

    News Groupie, Jul 15, 2005
  9. News Groupie

    Sly Guest

    taking it apart and trying to fix it seems more trouble than its worth, id
    go buy a new cd/dvd drive, there not that pricey

    Sly, Jul 15, 2005
  10. News Groupie

    NotMe Guest

    News Groupie wrote:
    > New discovery.
    >
    > I just put the disc cleaner in and it did the same ring scratch again in the
    > same position, but more interesting is the drive ripped the wet and dry
    > brush off the disc! So it seems something is getting too close to the disc
    > as Steve suggested.
    >
    > How do I fix that?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > "unwashed" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"News Groupie" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW burner and it scratches any media (CD,
    >>>DVD, and blank CDs & DVDs) I put in. I leaves a ring on the media where
    >>>I'm assuming the lens is reading. This started happening after I left my
    >>>computer running for a month straight and unattended.
    >>>
    >>>Any idea if this can be fixed? Any ideas at all?
    >>>
    >>>TIA

    >>Is the DVD drive listed in device manager as having
    >>any problems?
    >>The lens scans across the disk, continually focusing
    >>and scanning etc, you describe a "ring" left on the
    >>surface? Is the "ring" identically positioned on each
    >>disk surface you are having problems with?
    >>If so, then doubtful it is the lens that is the cause.
    >>Have you checked that the tray is free of foreign
    >>objects? - Note that the lens reads from below.

    Try disassembling the drive. I had a drive that was "bumped" by a
    teenager in the family. [I didn't ask how, the answer would have been
    'I don't know how it happened' anyway. ;) ]

    The gear and track guide for the tray had jumped the guides. It was
    pretty easy to put it back on track, and the drive has been working for
    over a month now without any problems.

    NotMe

    NotMe, Jul 15, 2005
  11. News Groupie

    Guest

    The laser is burning right thru the disks. Soon it will burn thru
    your computer, and kill everyone inside your house (including you).
    Then it will burn thru the walls of your house and kill everyone in
    your city. If it's not stopped, it could cause complete destruction of
    planet earth.

    Pull the plug on your computer immediately, and remove the CMOS
    battery too, just to be safe.

    Then take a large sledge hammer and beat the fu*k out of that computer
    so that no one ever attempts to use it again, especially terrorists.
    That compute is a weapon of mass destruction and must be destroyed !!!

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:07:08 GMT, "News Groupie"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW burner and it scratches any media (CD, DVD,
    >and blank CDs & DVDs) I put in. I leaves a ring on the media where I'm
    >assuming the lens is reading. This started happening after I left my
    >computer running for a month straight and unattended.
    >
    >Any idea if this can be fixed? Any ideas at all?
    >
    >TIA

    , Jul 15, 2005
  12. News Groupie

    Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:19:57 -0500, NotMe <>
    wrote:

    >News Groupie wrote:
    >> New discovery.
    >>
    >> I just put the disc cleaner in and it did the same ring scratch again in the
    >> same position, but more interesting is the drive ripped the wet and dry
    >> brush off the disc! So it seems something is getting too close to the disc
    >> as Steve suggested.
    >>
    >> How do I fix that?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    >> "unwashed" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"News Groupie" <> wrote in message

    >>>Is the DVD drive listed in device manager as having
    >>>any problems?
    >>>The lens scans across the disk, continually focusing
    >>>and scanning etc, you describe a "ring" left on the
    >>>surface? Is the "ring" identically positioned on each
    >>>disk surface you are having problems with?
    >>>If so, then doubtful it is the lens that is the cause.
    >>>Have you checked that the tray is free of foreign
    >>>objects? - Note that the lens reads from below.
    >>>

    >Try disassembling the drive. I had a drive that was "bumped" by a
    >teenager in the family. [I didn't ask how, the answer would have been
    >'I don't know how it happened' anyway. ;) ]
    >
    >The gear and track guide for the tray had jumped the guides. It was
    >pretty easy to put it back on track, and the drive has been working for
    >over a month now without any problems.
    >
    >NotMe

    Yeah, but be sure the power is disconnected when you open it. Even
    one millionth of a second of exposure to the laser and your eyes will
    melt out of your skull. Five seconds of exposure and you're whole body
    will vaporize, leaving only a few molten bones and some burnt organ
    tissue. Your home will then explode into a huge ball of flame which
    reaches at least 1000 feet in the air, and the heat from the blast
    will create a severe shock wave resulting in a back draft that will
    suck thousands of nearby buildings from their foundations and scatter
    their pieces for thousands of miles in the ensuing hurricane-like
    winds that will follow. In the end, at least 25% of the population on
    earth will be affected and/or destroyed. If somehow, you were to
    survive (which you won't), you would get charged with the largest
    lawsuit in history, and would be shot down by federal officials as a
    terrorist.

    Why not just give blood to the local blood bank every day for a month,
    and buy a new computer!

    , Jul 15, 2005
  13. News Groupie

    WormWood Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:19:57 -0500, NotMe <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>News Groupie wrote:
    >>> New discovery.
    >>>
    >>> I just put the disc cleaner in and it did the same ring scratch
    >>> again in the
    >>> same position, but more interesting is the drive ripped the wet and
    >>> dry
    >>> brush off the disc! So it seems something is getting too close to
    >>> the disc
    >>> as Steve suggested.
    >>>
    >>> How do I fix that?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >>> "unwashed" <> wrote in message

    >>Try disassembling the drive. I had a drive that was "bumped" by a
    >>teenager in the family. [I didn't ask how, the answer would have been
    >>'I don't know how it happened' anyway. ;) ]
    >>
    >>The gear and track guide for the tray had jumped the guides. It was
    >>pretty easy to put it back on track, and the drive has been working
    >>for
    >>over a month now without any problems.
    >>
    >>NotMe

    > Yeah, but be sure the power is disconnected when you open it. Even
    > one millionth of a second of exposure to the laser and your eyes will
    > melt out of your skull. Five seconds of exposure and you're whole body
    > will vaporize, leaving only a few molten bones and some burnt organ
    > tissue. Your home will then explode into a huge ball of flame which
    > reaches at least 1000 feet in the air, and the heat from the blast
    > will create a severe shock wave resulting in a back draft that will
    > suck thousands of nearby buildings from their foundations and scatter
    > their pieces for thousands of miles in the ensuing hurricane-like
    > winds that will follow. In the end, at least 25% of the population on
    > earth will be affected and/or destroyed. If somehow, you were to
    > survive (which you won't), you would get charged with the largest
    > lawsuit in history, and would be shot down by federal officials as a
    > terrorist.

    That computer is god.....a flood here, a plague there,
    pestilence.......and omnipotence...I gotta get me some of that.

    WormWood, Jul 15, 2005
  14. News Groupie

    unwashed Guest

    It is obviously broken and some misaligned component is
    in contact with the disk surface - causing scratches and
    breaking your disk cleaner?
    As you cannot afford to replace (pre-owned would be
    less than ten quid!) -
    You have nothing to lose by removing the drive, disconnecting
    and pulling it apart and seeing if there is anything within that
    is obviously the problem.
    The bottomline - it needs to be replaced.

    unwashed, Jul 15, 2005
  15. News Groupie

    News Groupie Guest

    Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I'll tinker with it, but I'll just
    replace it when the means become available.

    Thanks again

    News Groupie, Jul 15, 2005