DVD burner recommendation

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Aquilonious, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. Aquilonious

    Aquilonious Guest

    I'm looking for a good DVD burner to make backup copies of my games
    (with SecureROM, Safedisc 2/3) and movies. And no, I have NO
    intentions of making illegal backups!

    I'm considering one of the following DVD burners:

    NEC ND-3005A
    BenQ DW1620A
    Lite-On SOHW-1633
    Toshiba SD-R5372

    I've had good luck with my Lite-On 52327S CD-RW drive making backup
    copies of CDs using Alcohol 120%, but I've heard the SOHW-1633 has
    problems with various media (Anandtech). The NEC supposedly doesn't
    read poor quality CDs and CDs burned in other drives very well
    (Digit-Life). There are conflicting reviews on the NEC's ability to
    handle error correction. CDRinfo gave the BenQ an Editor's Choice but
    Anandtech didn't rate it that well in their Fall Review of DVD drives
    (it doesn't support C2 error information). The Toshiba can write to
    DVD+R DL media at 5x, read 2x DVD-RAM discs, and has a CDR speed of
    48x, though it also has problems with certain media.

    Any recommendations?

    Maybe recommend a drive not on this list?
    Aquilonious, Nov 13, 2004

  2. Aquilonious

    Owl Jolson Guest

    Go with a Sony. They're well worth the $$$. I haven't burnt a coaster yet!

    Owl Jolson, Nov 13, 2004

  3. Aquilonious

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Well, add the Pioneer 108 to your list, remove all the others, and you'll be
    on the right track!

    Pug Fugley, Nov 13, 2004
  4. Aquilonious

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Owl Jolson" <> wrote in message
    > Go with a Sony. They're well worth the $$$. I haven't burnt a coaster

    yet!

    Sony drives are actually Lite On drives with a Sony sticker. You can get a
    Lite On for half the price.

    Pug Fugley, Nov 13, 2004
  5. Aquilonious

    IQ Guest

    Go with any other DVD burner other than SONY.
    They couldn`t give a rat`s ass about customers

    IQ, Nov 13, 2004
  6. Aquilonious

    Robotman Guest

    > I'm looking for a good DVD burner to make backup copies of my games
    > (with SecureROM, Safedisc 2/3) and movies. And no, I have NO
    > intentions of making illegal backups!
    >
    > I'm considering one of the following DVD burners:
    >
    > NEC ND-3005A
    > BenQ DW1620A
    > Lite-On SOHW-1633
    > Toshiba SD-R5372
    >

    > I've had good luck with my Lite-On 52327S CD-RW drive making backup
    > copies of CDs using Alcohol 120%, but I've heard the SOHW-1633 has
    > problems with various media (Anandtech). The NEC supposedly doesn't
    > read poor quality CDs and CDs burned in other drives very well
    > (Digit-Life). There are conflicting reviews on the NEC's ability to
    > handle error correction. CDRinfo gave the BenQ an Editor's Choice but
    > Anandtech didn't rate it that well in their Fall Review of DVD drives
    > (it doesn't support C2 error information). The Toshiba can write to
    > DVD+R DL media at 5x, read 2x DVD-RAM discs, and has a CDR speed of
    > 48x, though it also has problems with certain media.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Maybe recommend a drive not on this list?

    I have a liteon 812 and it would not consistently burn good quality dvd
    backups.

    I have a few friends with Pioneer burners and every disk i have tried from
    them have worked fine.

    I have since bought a Pioneer 108 and it burns perfect disks everytime at 8
    speed.

    Robotman.
    Robotman, Nov 13, 2004
  7. >Sony drives are actually Lite On drives with a Sony sticker. You can get a
    >Lite On for half the price.

    If we were talking about Sony CD-ROM, CD burners, or DVD-ROM drives, then yes,
    they're Lite-On OEMs.

    But, in the case of dual layer DVD burners, Sony makes them by themselves at
    this time, and they write DVDs faster with less compatibility problems on other
    DVD drives than Lite-On dual layer burners.

    The Sony dual layer burner is probably the overall best at this time. The only
    drive that has one edge over the Sony is Pioneer, and that's only by a very
    slim speed margin. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 13, 2004
  8. >Go with any other DVD burner other than SONY.
    >They couldn`t give a rat`s ass about customers

    Name at least one, then, that actually does give a rat's ass.

    I haven't run into any company that has had decent customer service for their
    computer parts. This is getting worse as more and more companies are
    outsourcing their customer hotline hubs over to India. A lot refer customers
    to website FAQ and troubleshooting pages devoid of any live help. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 13, 2004
  9. Aquilonious

    power Guest

    Hands down the best drive on that list is the NEC-3500. I have a NEC 2510A
    and a 3500A. I getting rid of my 2510 and getting another 3500A. I loved
    the 2510A until I got the 3500........The 3500 Rips at 12X and writes on
    Imation media at 12X !!!! Amazing !

    power, Nov 14, 2004
  10. Aquilonious

    Mac Breck Guest

    "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > >Go with any other DVD burner other than SONY.
    > >They couldn`t give a rat`s ass about customers

    > Name at least one, then, that actually does give a rat's

    ass.

    > I haven't run into any company that has had decent

    customer service for their
    > computer parts. This is getting worse as more and more

    companies are
    > outsourcing their customer hotline hubs over to India. A

    lot refer customers
    > to website FAQ and troubleshooting pages devoid of any

    live help. - Reinhart

    Reinhart,

    I've been out of this for awhile, and never got into DVD
    burners. My current CD burner, a 650 MB Yamaha 4x4x16 is
    dead, and I need to replace it. Been thinking about going
    to a DVD burner if it can also burn CDs, is SCSI, and can
    burn/read the several hundred 650 MB CD-R/CD-RW discs I have
    laying around. Got a URL describing the specs of the
    Pioneer 108?

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
    -------------------------------
    Mac Breck, Nov 14, 2004
  11. Aquilonious

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Mac Breck" <> wrote in message
    > "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > > >Go with any other DVD burner other than SONY.
    > > >They couldn`t give a rat`s ass about customers

    > > Name at least one, then, that actually does give a rat's

    > ass.
    > >
    > > I haven't run into any company that has had decent

    > customer service for their
    > > computer parts. This is getting worse as more and more

    > companies are
    > > outsourcing their customer hotline hubs over to India.

    > lot refer customers
    > > to website FAQ and troubleshooting pages devoid of any

    > live help. - Reinhart
    >
    > Reinhart,
    >
    > I've been out of this for awhile, and never got into DVD
    > burners. My current CD burner, a 650 MB Yamaha 4x4x16 is
    > dead, and I need to replace it. Been thinking about going
    > to a DVD burner if it can also burn CDs, is SCSI, and can
    > burn/read the several hundred 650 MB CD-R/CD-RW discs I

    have
    > laying around. Got a URL describing the specs of the
    > Pioneer 108?

    Sorry, should have just looked.
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4249_138551420,00.html

    Mac Breck, Nov 14, 2004
  12. Aquilonious

    Mac Cool Guest

    power:

    > Hands down the best drive on that list is the NEC-3500. I have a NEC
    > 2510A and a 3500A. I getting rid of my 2510 and getting another
    > 3500A. I loved the 2510A until I got the 3500........The 3500 Rips
    > at 12X and writes on Imation media at 12X !!!! Amazing !

    Question: I have a 2500A and when I burn a DVD I can't do anything else on
    my computer (P4 2.53Ghz/512MB). Is this normal or is something messed up.
    I checked and the drive is using ultra dma mode.
    --
    Mac Cool
    Mac Cool, Nov 15, 2004
  13. Aquilonious

    Justin Guest

    Mac Cool wrote on [Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:43:26 GMT]:
    > power:
    >
    >> Hands down the best drive on that list is the NEC-3500. I have a NEC
    >> 2510A and a 3500A. I getting rid of my 2510 and getting another
    >> 3500A. I loved the 2510A until I got the 3500........The 3500 Rips
    >> at 12X and writes on Imation media at 12X !!!! Amazing !

    > Question: I have a 2500A and when I burn a DVD I can't do anything else on
    > my computer (P4 2.53Ghz/512MB). Is this normal or is something messed up.
    > I checked and the drive is using ultra dma mode.

    Hmmm, I have a 2500A also, and only a lowly Athlon 1.13Ghz. I can read
    email and surf the web while burning.
    Justin, Nov 15, 2004